Jan.window.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
We need to start to build a squad for next season in the Jan. window,rather than wait until august ?
Would i trust the present management to do this,at the moment i have serious doubts.
Robin
We've generally signed better with GJ and PJ in charge I don't see the issue there, a bigger worry is where does the money come from unless we sell Eisa.
Benctfc
I don't think wholesale changes are needed but admittedly there are certain areas that could be upgraded. An experienced defensive mid better than Storer would be welcome imo and an experienced football league CB and maybe a winger to get those in though we will need to move people out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only a couple of signings needed to bolster the promotion squad.

Amazing that the OP questions the Brothers J when they have assembled what is one of the best squads I can remember us seeing. Last January they signed the players to keep us up. The January before we snapped up Holman. Every January so far GJ has improved the squad! And in the two summers where he has set about signing players to build a squad (after relegation and this summer) we have seen a promotion quality squad assembled both times.

What more do people want?
I-Love-CTFC
What are we paying these new additions with? Magic beans?
Malabus
I would thought any activity in January has now been quashed as we are out of the FA cup.....prize money for yesterday was £18k.
It's just the case of survival from now to Spring. Go with what we got.
Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:I would thought any activity in January has now been quashed as we are out of the FA cup.....prize money for yesterday was £18k.
It's just the case of survival from now to Spring. Go with what we got.
Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
As current form over the last nine games (since the squad was complete, settled and bedded in) ‘what we got’ is promotion quality.

So a quiet January wouldn’t be a case of survival, it would just make securing play offs (due to playing catch up after first 7 games write off) harder.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only a couple of signings needed to bolster the promotion squad.

Amazing that the OP questions the Brothers J when they have assembled what is one of the best squads I can remember us seeing. Last January they signed the players to keep us up. The January before we snapped up Holman. Every January so far GJ has improved the squad! And in the two summers where he has set about signing players to build a squad (after relegation and this summer) we have seen a promotion quality squad assembled both times.

Could be argued that the feat of improving the squad last January was not the hardest task ever presented to a manager ? (especially given he had assembled the August squad)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only a couple of signings needed to bolster the promotion squad.

Could be argued that the feat of improving the squad last January was not the hardest task ever presented to a manager ? (especially given he had assembled the August squad)
Indeed. Giving the Champions half a season to prove themselves made it easy to assess which positions needed upgrading as a priority and which positions were adequately filled by a Champion.