FA Cup

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
I know its stating the obvious but I would like us to have a 'run' get to round three and a big away day, we need to pull our fingers out in this competiton we now have the team that has the ability and belief to win and go about their business against lower league opposition. We shouldn't take Maidstone lightly they see this as a winnable game or at least a replay, they'll bring a few and make some noise but lets just get the job done wth as less fuss as possible.
Robin
Be interesting if we rest one or two next week, I'd like to see Pell come back in myself.

As you say though all about getting through to the 3rd round and getting that lucky draw away to a big team.
Red Duke
Is it better moneywise to be at home to a top prem club on the telly or to be away against them and no TV coverage?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:Is it better moneywise to be at home to a top prem club on the telly or to be away against them and no TV coverage?
Depends on the club.

If Man U where a 75,000 attendance is guaranteed no matter who they play then moneywise a trip to Old Trafford blows a home + TV game out of the water (£1m from the gate vs £150k or in that ball park).

Any Prem side where we’ll have 30k plus in attendance and £20-£25 ticket prices and it is a no brainier we want to go there.

If it is in front of 12K in Stoke or 8K in Bournemouth then much more touch and go.
Robin
Exactly you want one of Man Ure, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea away from home for a big pay day. I believe the most money comes from Arsenal and then Man Ure, due to ticket costs but both would make the away team around £1 million or so. There are of course a few other ties like Villa, Wolves where we would take huge followings and the home gate would also be large that we would make more money than playing some premiership teams (Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke, Swansea etc.).

A home tie on TV and I'd guess you are looking at around £150k given our very limited capacity.
Artemis
Now I might just be a tad greedy here, but a home tie on the TV vs one of the big Prem clubs, resulting in a draw. So a replay at their gaffe - also on the TV. That would net close to a couple of million?

I think Burton, and possibly Exeter and Crawley all have had that honour in relatively recent times?
Artemis
And possibly thinking a bit to far ahead....concentrate on Maidstone first.....
Si Robin
You want Man United away - that's guaranteed ticket and TV. The last cup match they played that wasn't on TV was in the 3rd round in Janauary 2005. They're guaranteed on tv because they guarantee ratings.
everyman
Artemis wrote:And possibly thinking a bit to far ahead....concentrate on Maidstone first.....
I know our management wont be taking a win for granted,we have struggled with teams similar to Maidstone in the past.
Robin
I agree this is a banana skin, we need to be on point we don't need another Sutton/Tamworth this week.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only banana skin this resembles is one we nonchalantly discard on to the compost heap after devouring the banana before moving on to a bigger meal.
Shade
Maidstone up to 5th in the conference. 23GF, 18GA. Most of those came before October, which was full of 1 and 2-0 wins and defeats, and a 1-1 draw..
Red Duke
Do we have permission to play the loanees in the FA Cup?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:Do we have permission to play the loanees in the FA Cup?
Gary better cross Lee out of his will if not.

Be nice to see Hinds get a game vs the non-leaguers.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Be nice to see a few get a game v non leaguers but knowing our recent history against lower league teams in this cup, I’ll just be glad to see our strongest XI ensure the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Squad game. If Hinds etc aren't good enough to beat non-leaguers they shouldn't be in our L2 squad.

Play them, and if we lose so be it. I would rather learn now they are not good enough so we can replace in January than find out in an important League game in the early Spring.

Promotion must be the priority: Graham, Pell, Eisa, Winchester etc are going to be snapped up by higher ranked sides. Promotion vital to keep them.

We can't afford injuries, nor can we afford to end the January window with players not up to the task.

Asking squad players to prove themselves vs non-leaguers addresses both those concerns.
horlickfanclub
We must put out a strong side to win this.All our players will fancy a game of football I don't expect Morrell to play as he will miss the Luton game ( away according to the part time Echo) and we can get Storer and Pell in to the side.
darreno
Promotion must be the priority: Graham, Pell, Eisa, Winchester etc are going to be snapped up by higher ranked sides. Promotion vital to keep them.
Eisa - maybe
Winchester - maybe
Pell - don't think so
Graham - no chance

Players move (or stay) for lots of reasons. Promotion is not vital to keep them.
Robin
I'd argue there are a few league one sides who would be be keen to take Pell (Blackpool offered us six figures) and from what I hear there are a lot of clubs watching Eisa from higher than league one too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
darreno wrote:
Eisa - maybe
Winchester - maybe
Pell - don't think so
Graham - no chance

Players move (or stay) for lots of reasons. Promotion is not vital to keep them.
Little old Cheltenhams out in force to put our players down. Those mentioned are all too good for L2.

Time to embrace the fact we have one of the best sides in L2 rather than belittling the squad.
Nesty
Andy wrote:
Be nice to see a few get a game v non leaguers but knowing our recent history against lower league teams in this cup, I’ll just be glad to see our strongest XI ensure the win.

we must win this game and must field our best XI (depending on availability)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
Andy wrote:

we must win this game and must field our best XI (depending on availability)
A few early goals then make subs. Can't afford injuries.
Artemis
darreno wrote:
Eisa - maybe
Winchester - maybe
Pell - don't think so
Graham - no chance

Little old Cheltenhams out in force to put our players down. Those mentioned are all too good for L2.

Time to embrace the fact we have one of the best sides in L2 rather than belittling the squad.
As in my opinion are Sellers and Flinders, and from what I saw before injury, Forster too. Dawson quite possibly as well.
Let's face it, we have the makings of a really competitive first team and the manager to make the best of them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah yes, definitely agree with Sellars and Dawson. Great point Artemis!

Dawson of course one of Yeovil's best players in L1 & Championship. It was only is loyalty, injuries and being played out of position by Way for three seasons which had bought him down to our level.

It is a sign of how stagnant the club has been during the last five years that people are reluctant to realise and be excited by the fact we have one of the best ever CTFC squads who could easily compete in L1 with a couple of additions.
longmover
The curse of fair-weather fa cup fans, someone has thrown a flare onto the pitch at Hyde (from the Hyde end), its plastic and has burnt a big whole in the pitch :lol: :lol:
everyman
We have to move the ball quickly,nothing tires a team like chasing around without the ball,keep it moving.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:The curse of fair-weather fa cup fans, someone has thrown a flare onto the pitch at Hyde (from the Hyde end), its plastic and has burnt a big whole in the pitch :lol: :lol:
LOL how thick can you get. What a mug. Hope they were ejected for stupidity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looking at today’s fixtures. Hereford at home vs Telford so could win. I think a game Hereford in Round 2 would be good. Rekindle memories of Mo’s header and if away at the Shedgar it may be televised.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hereford one up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Holman nets the winner for Boreham Wood vs League One Blackpool.

Get him back to CTFC now. He would have bagged a hat trick in the last thirty minutes today.
NWS
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only banana skin this resembles is one we nonchalantly discard on to the compost heap after devouring the banana before moving on to a bigger meal.
Seems like the banana repeated on you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We would have got MK Dons away. Dodged a bullet.

(Before anyone says "but we would have been a different number to Maidstone due to the alphabet"...that is wrong. Each first round tie was allocated a number to be used in second round draw and whichever team progressed used that number).
Si Robin
Not just allocated a number, there is a method to it - the number allocated is the number in which the team's previous tie was - so if you were drawn first in round 1 then you are ball 1 in round 2. Not certain how it works for Round 3 - I think Prem and Championship clubs are 1-44, before tie one in round 2 is 45, and so on. It then continues up to the semi-final draw.

I have a feeling it is also what decides who is the allocated home team for the Cup final for kit clashes and whatnot, although I've not checked it.
Robin
Have to feel for Maidstone drawing the Franchise however at least they'll have the footballing world supporting them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Have to feel for Maidstone drawing the Franchise however at least they'll have the footballing world supporting them.
Good day out for Maidstone at one of the best grounds and biggest clubs at this stage of the competition.

The whole footballing world bar me Robin. I quite like MK. And the obsession people like you have with them just makes me support them even more!