Notts County v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Three changes to the line-up, live updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/NottsCountyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Starting line-up: Flinders; Moore, Grimes, Boyle, O'Shaughnessy; Winchester, Pell, Storer (c), Morrell; Wright, Eisa

Subs: Lovett, Atangana, Sellars, Bower, Davey, Lloyd

Jon Flatt has an elbow problem and Freddie Hinds has tonsillitis.
longmover
Our bench :shock:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What is Graham's injury?

Wrighty having to put a 90 mins shift in on the big Meadow Lane pitch. A tough ask.

We need Graham back, or Holman, to boost numbers before the FGR trip.
I-Love-CTFC
Well that escalated quickly. 3-1 down now.

Graham has a hamstring injury expected to be out for a few games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another incidence of conceding two in two minutes.

With the threadbare squad it is amazing we lasted this long.

Need to regroup before TNL next week.
Rulistening
Conceding 2 goals in 2 minutes again.. how does this keep happening? I know this was always going to be a hard game but soon as we concede 1 you know another one is going in in 1-2 minutes...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Get Lloyd, Davey and Bower on. Forget this match. We can't afford any more injuries, fatigue or red cards so bring on those three to rest more important players.
longmover
Gary's 'game management' is working well then
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Gary's 'game management' is working well then
It is the players on the pitch who have to deliver it
longmover
whatever they have been instructed to do isn't working, It's the management job to get the instructions to stick, they're his players he bought them in.
Oldun
Oh good show! Lose to top of table team and its knives out for Gary. Now there's a surprise!
Only six subs, very weak bench due to injuries and suspensions (all Gary's fault) Deflected second goal. (Gary's fault)
By the way...Luton scored seven today, which shows how terrible it was not to win last week.
Gary will have to go; we really can't carry on like this, not winning every time we play.
And I hate sarcasm too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We go up the hill to TNL with the squad in tatters. Time for those who are fit to step up and show they should still be on the pitch come January. A deflected goal and delete squad at the Champions Elect will not define our season. But results at the likes of TNL will do. And if we can't win there without Forster, Cranston and Graham then it shows the squad is not good enough and not complete.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We go up the hill to TNL with the squad in tatters. Time for those who are fit to step up and show they should still be on the pitch come January. A deflected goal and delete squad at the Champions Elect will not define our season. But results at the likes of TNL will do. And if we can't win there without Forster, Cranston and Graham then it shows the squad is not good enough and not complete.
It`s feasible that fgr.will be above us after the match.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We go up the hill to TNL with the squad in tatters. Time for those who are fit to step up and show they should still be on the pitch come January. A deflected goal and delete squad at the Champions Elect will not define our season. But results at the likes of TNL will do. And if we can't win there without Forster, Cranston and Graham then it shows the squad is not good enough and not complete.
It`s feasible that fgr.will be above us after the match.
Indeed. As I said, failure to win proves the squad is too weak. We should have two players in each position who can both perform to equal standard. If injuries derail our season, it suggests that is not the case.
Another_FoD_Robin
So if we have six players on the bench Oldun whose fault is it? I thought as a football manager you bring players in and take players out. I accept budget and we can't take into account some bad luck but the bottom line is GJ is meant to bring players in to strengthen the squad. Or to ensure players coming in can do a job.

GJs job is to motivate and instruct what to do during games. So on the back of game management - the players need to take responsibility too. I as an amateur player understand how to manage a game so please explain to me why players who are professional struggle. The little things add up....
Oldun
Well said Ben
And in response to the previous post I fail to see that the manager can be blamed for injuries such as the three long term ones or even the Graham one this week. I am also unsure that he should carry the can for Hinds getting tonsillitis. Equally it is hard to blame him for the Dawson challenge v Maidstone. For those who can't wait to criticise the manager though it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that he should have signed 44 players with at least three replacements available in every position. The budget for this might have needing stretching a tad but the principle is a fine one.
Get real!
Jon Palmer
Video interview with Gary Johnson here now: http://bit.ly/NottsCountyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:So if we have six players on the bench Oldun whose fault is it? I thought as a football manager you bring players in and take players out. I accept budget and we can't take into account some bad luck but the bottom line is GJ is meant to bring players in to strengthen the squad. Or to ensure players coming in can do a job.

GJs job is to motivate and instruct what to do during games. So on the back of game management - the players need to take responsibility too. I as an amateur player understand how to manage a game so please explain to me why players who are professional struggle. The little things add up....
Re: players on the bench. Are you blaming Gary for injuries and illnesses to Forster, Graham, Cranston, Hinds and Flatt?

Dawson should have been rested against Maidstone.
Oldun
Is it down to game management that their second goal was a huge deflection? Those are the little things that add up! As well as a long injury list (and a suspension which includes several) vital players.
I cannot believe that after a 3-1 defeat by a top side that includes some very experienced players, when we are struggling with a weakened squad, that anyone would think of coming on RN and criticising the Manager. It is just mindless!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oldun wrote:Is it down to game management that their second goal was a huge deflection? Those are the little things that add up! As well as a long injury list (and a suspension which includes several) vital players.
I cannot believe that after a 3-1 defeat by a top side that includes some very experienced players, when we are struggling with a weakened squad, that anyone would think of coming on RN and criticising the Manager. It is just mindless!
Mindless but that is the average football moron for you.
Ralph
Oldun wrote:Oh good show! Lose to top of table team and its knives out for Gary. Now there's a surprise!
Only six subs, very weak bench due to injuries and suspensions (all Gary's fault) Deflected second goal. (Gary's fault)
By the way...Luton scored seven today, which shows how terrible it was not to win last week.
Gary will have to go; we really can't carry on like this, not winning every time we play.
And I hate sarcasm too.
That 2nd goal, the deflection was crazy. No one was stopping that
Another_FoD_Robin
Ahh okay. So you have to conform and be in the clique on this forum I do apologise. I must have forgot being a 'mindless moron' I never ever said once anything about today's performance. You are just once again assuming I believe.

Please explain to me why I am not allowed to put my opinion across unless I am a 'Mod' or friend of one? It's ubelievable stupid!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:Ahh okay. So you have to conform and be in the clique on this forum I do apologise. I must have forgot being a 'mindless moron' I never ever said once anything about today's performance. You are just once again assuming I believe.

Please explain to me why I am not allowed to put my opinion across unless I am a 'Mod' or friend of one? It's ubelievable stupid!
So the points you made about game management and the subs bench were not anything about today's performance?
Another_FoD_Robin
No as it's not the first time this season we have looked very week and failed to manage a game. Then again I am mindless moron aren't I? As after all I'm not in the clique.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Oldun wrote:Is it down to game management that their second goal was a huge deflection? Those are the little things that add up! As well as a long injury list (and a suspension which includes several) vital players.
Well said guys.
Alf
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Well said guys.
Not too mention the 'benefit of hindsight' experts.
Lord Elpuz
Cheltenham Town FC remain a work in progress, and not yet the finished article. This means we are likely to be a mid-table side for most of this season and therefore we will win some games and lose others. Fans need to stay on-board whilst the squad is juggled, looking for that all important consistency. Due to the limitations now on bringing in different options, further rebuilding has to wait until transfer windows open or unattached players of the right ability and mindset become available.
Benctfc
Don't think I have seen anyone actually mention they want GJ to go? You are allowed to criticise the team or manager it doesn't mean you want them sacked.

I don't think anyone expected us to get anything yesterday with our pathetic away form given we have won 2 away games in the last 9 months and both of those were against teams in free fall and bottom of the league. I would class a midtable finish as respectable and is probably what our expectations should be however if we finish in the bottom quarter of the league questions should be asked but there is a long way to go until we get to that.
horlickfanclub
The eleven on the pitch lost the game,not the bench. The tactics are another matter to discuss. Where was Downes and why doesn't Davey play ? On the positive side when Graham and Dawson return we know we have the basis of a midtable side.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:The eleven on the pitch lost the game,not the bench. The tactics are another matter to discuss. Where was Downes and why doesn't Davey play ? On the positive side when Graham and Dawson return we know we have the basis of a midtable side.
Davey - inexperienced I guess but would be good to see him soon.

Downes - people need to forget about him. Too old, crocked and slow. Retired in all but name. If he makes the match day squad we really are in trouble.
horlickfanclub
Davey ,thirty four league appearances. Twenty in league one. That is a lot more experience than Grimes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks Horlick.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Wow, didn't know that. Thanks Horlick.
Once again showing your bias against Scottish football,Alex has played for Scotland u19`s.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Wow, didn't know that. Thanks Horlick.
Once again showing your bias against Scottish football,Alex has played for Scotland u19`s.
I didn't know anything about him - nothing to do with Scottish football. I must have missed JP's run down when he signed.