Doidge and Dennis

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Got to try and tempt these goalscorers away from struggling sides in January.
Alf
I take it you're not being serious. I doubt FGR will be struggling and I'm sure Doidge will be on a far better deal than we could offer anyway.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Excluding penalties, Doidge is the top scorer in the top six divisions in England in 2017. He has got 28 league goals, followed by Harry Kane with 27.
vickeryc
Fair play, he's right up there this season with 10 goals - only one behind Grant and Hylton.
vickeryc
... and Dennis.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Fair play, he's right up there this season with 10 goals - only one behind Grant and Hylton.
There was a reason the OP described them as "goalscorers".
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Doidge does it again.
Alf
We could all be leading goal scorers playing against our defence every week!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:We could all be leading goal scorers playing against our defence every week!
The fact this is the first time he has played us must make it more impressive then.
Alf
I suppose it must.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As FGR regress to the bottom of the league, with Doidge looking an isolated figure with 10 players passing sideways and losing possession 30 yards and more behind him, he will surely be hankering for a move.

Now I know L1 teams like Rovers may be sniffing, or L2 promotion sides might be interested but I think it is definitely worth Gary co-ordinating a bit of off the record informal chat with Doidge and his agent re January plans.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As FGR regress to the bottom of the league, with Doidge looking an isolated figure with 10 players passing sideways and losing possession 30 yards and more behind him, he will surely be hankering for a move.

Now I know L1 teams like Rovers may be sniffing, or L2 promotion sides might be interested but I think it is definitely worth Gary co-ordinating a bit of off the record informal chat with Doidge and his agent re January plans.
God don’t start Old Turncoat off, he’ll have a fit!! Stale will be in the Echo next week saying we’ve approached him based on your post!
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:As FGR regress to the bottom of the league, with Doidge looking an isolated figure with 10 players passing sideways and losing possession 30 yards and more behind him, he will surely be hankering for a move.

Behave yourself please. Blatant wind up. You know he is going to bite, it's too easy. :roll:
drgm
Can't see Doidge staying after January. Time to pick over the carcass at the New Lawn
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Can't see Doidge staying after January. Time to pick over the carcass at the New Lawn
Like Hereford 97/98.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A subtle pre-window ‘come and get me’ plea from Doidge?

http://tbrfootball.com/christian-doidge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another forlorn Doidge at a barren New Lawn this weekend, with not more than a couple of half chances generated.

How his striker's instinct must throb and his heart tingle at the thought of Eisa, Dawson, Graham, Sellars and Morrell driving at the goal and peppering the six yard box with deliveries begging to be slotted home.

Come on Christian, prove that football is about more than just money.

Go get him Gary!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
16th goal of the season for Doidge today yet he finds himself further adrift at the bottom than he was before this round of fixtures. Tempters must be sent to him and his agent.
paperboy
......looks as if we can cross Doidge off our wish list.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... ty-1013975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As long as he leaves FGR that is something.
Robin
Wow he looked like a standard league two player in our game, certainly not someone who looked like they could move up the leagues.
horlickfanclub
The bids will be in for Eisa and Pell soon.
Ihearye
Having gotten a mention in a thread a not too long ago, thought I would join the merry band.
The monies paid out for Mr Doidge, certainly is a reality check for us, as to what our realistic targets are.
Also, I see Forest Green have signed up two good defenders. That will put them in a good place, once a new keeper arrives and could realistically see them finishing higher than ourselves. I could see us getting dragged into the relegation battle as we do not have the quality to maintain our position, once teams strengthen.
But will we strengthen ? Would have to believe that if we had players lined up, we could have named them by now. Is it more the position that we have to clear the decks, see what cash we have and then look at who is still available?
As for teams coming in for our players, would be no great shock if a better team is looking at Mr Versatile Winchester. By a country mile the most consistent player we have on the books. A much more attractive proposition that the perplexing Pell
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:The bids will be in for Eisa and Pell soon.
That's fine if someone wants to offer us decent money if not we are not selling.
King giraffe iii
Robin wrote:Wow he looked like a standard league two player in our game, certainly not someone who looked like they could move up the leagues.
Give Doidge service and he will get the job done. Problem at FGR is that he's played in isolation and is often forced to play deep and wide.
Robin
Very few league two players go for seven figures Giraffe, take it you are very happy with that figure as it's bigger than a number of league two budgets.
paperboy
Robin wrote:Wow he looked like a standard league two player in our game, certainly not someone who looked like they could move up the leagues.

Agree Robin.

We'll have to wait and see who knows best-us or Neil Warnock perhaps.
Shade
Cardiff already have Omar Bogle and Doidge is scoring more than he did in League 2, as far as I know.
Chris FGR
Robin wrote:Very few league two players go for seven figures Giraffe, take it you are very happy with that figure as it's bigger than a number of league two budgets.
If we were 10 points better off it would be a no-bainer, but currently it would be a huge risk as we probably stad to lose more going down.

We sold Ethan Pinnock for £500k with add-ons possibly taking it close to 7 figures, so to sell another player for that amount or maybe even more in the same season would be pretty good going. Recouping £1.5m+ in player sales would have been unthinkable not long ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
Robin wrote:Very few league two players go for seven figures Giraffe, take it you are very happy with that figure as it's bigger than a number of league two budgets.
If we were 10 points better off it would be a no-bainer, but currently it would be a huge risk as we probably stad to lose more going down.

We sold Ethan Pinnock for £500k with add-ons possibly taking it close to 7 figures, so to sell another player for that amount or maybe even more in the same season would be pretty good going. Recouping £1.5m+ in player sales would have been unthinkable not long ago.
Helps balance the financial fair play books. Effectively means you could pay a million more in wages to free transfers without falling foul of the rules, which so far have restricted Vince's ability to keep signing the blank cheques and racking up unsustainable losses.
Ralph
Ihearye wrote:Having gotten a mention in a thread a not too long ago, thought I would join the merry band.
How could you get a mention in a thread not too long ago, if this was your first post?
swellingsdownbelow
But, fair play to Stale Mince.......just in case Cardiff or someone else knicks yer best striker...we’ll spend a few spondoolicks and bring in Reuben Reid......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
swellingsdownbelow wrote:But, fair play to Stale Mince.......just in case Cardiff or someone else knicks yer best striker...we’ll spend a few spondoolicks and bring in Reuben Reid......
Might need to sell Doidge to comply with FFP. Someone on FGR forum suggested RR was a £600k signing.
Shade
Well, that's FGR beating us in April then. That bugger always scores at least a couple at Whaddon Road.

Then again, I seem to remember that if Reid isn't playing for a club on the south coast, aka Plymouth or Exeter, he's usually pretty c!#p.
Robin
Reid was £60k according to the Exeter forum RCS.