League 2 wages

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Chairman says Mo joined us on £300 a week ! Surely that is either wrong or there were lots of add ons for appearances etc.

Chief Exec of Mansfield on the radio yesterday (radio 5 live) said her players were on between £800 and £5000 a week !
Red Duke
Didn't he get a quick wage rise as soon as GJ saw how good he was. Maybe doubled or tripled or whatever.
Andy
I expect it was a tongue in cheek comment said to emphasise that he was obviously brought in on a cheap wage but wanting to respect players confidentiality in not actually saying how low a wage it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shade
£300pw is £1200+ per month...he was only on a short term contract and unknown, so why would that be hard to believe?
Robin
GJ said last season that Mo initially came in on 1st year pro wages. I would be very surprised if our average wage was not at least three times that though across the squad. Certainly players like Mullins, Hussey and Tozer will be on decent league two wages what ever that may be.

I also heard Mansfield are contributing £5,000 to Tyler Walkers wages whilst on loan, sheer madness especially as their second highest earner is supposedly on half of that although I did read it online somewhere so you never know if it's true.
Robin
By the way I haven't heard anything reliable about the wages our players are on only that our wage budget was middle of the road for league two. I would imagine our wage budget has increased again this season and is no where near the smaller clubs (Morecambe, Newport, Yeovil, Macclesfield etc.). In fact I was told by a Newport fan I know that they offered Tozer a new deal and couldn't compete with the offer he got here.

If I were to hazard a guess the likes of Mansfield, MK Dons, Notts County pay way more than other clubs in this league with a few clubs like FGR and Mansfield spending massively more than revenue generated.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:By the way I haven't heard anything reliable about the wages our players are on only that our wage budget was middle of the road for league two. I would imagine our wage budget has increased again this season and is no where near the smaller clubs (Morecambe, Newport, Yeovil, Macclesfield etc.). In fact I was told by a Newport fan I know that they offered Tozer a new deal and couldn't compete with the offer he got here.

If I were to hazard a guess the likes of Mansfield, MK Dons, Notts County pay way more than other clubs in this league with a few clubs like FGR and Mansfield spending massively more than revenue generated.
It would be in the interests of transparency if the the EFL published financial fair play league tables. This wouldn’t need to divulge financial figures, but merely the FFP percentage for each side. So fans could see that Team X wage bill is 120pc of income, Team Y is 80pc whilst Team Z is 50pc etc.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:By the way I haven't heard anything reliable about the wages our players are on only that our wage budget was middle of the road for league two. I would imagine our wage budget has increased again this season and is no where near the smaller clubs (Morecambe, Newport, Yeovil, Macclesfield etc.). In fact I was told by a Newport fan I know that they offered Tozer a new deal and couldn't compete with the offer he got here.

It would be in the interests of transparency if the the EFL published financial fair play league tables. This wouldn’t need to divulge financial figures, but merely the FFP percentage for each side. So fans could see that Team X wage bill is 120pc of income, Team Y is 80pc whilst Team Z is 50pc etc.
I can't understand why that isn't done already. We have league tables for absolutely everything else.
Jerry St Clair
I recall reading somewhere about 5 years ago that the average league two wage was about £50k per year. It’s probably worth remembering that there are usually a couple of clubs who massively boost the average (Portsmouth, Coventry, Luton) but I reckon about £30-40k sounds about right for a Cheltenham first year pro. I’m guessing that’s what Mo came in on.
Shade
A first year pro on 30-40k?! You must be joking. If George Lloyd is earning that much I'd be amazed. They need to prove themselves before getting that much. Imo anyway.
Robin
Agree I bet the 1st and 2nd year pros are earning no more than £25k or so which is the national average or there abouts.
Jerry St Clair
Here’s the only definitive figures I can find and they are 12 years old. League Two average = £49600 back in 2006. I reckon that will be nudging £60k now. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4898392.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valid point about first team pros. On reflection I guess £40k is probably too high, but I really wouldn’t be surprised to hear he’s on close to £30k.
Shade
DUUUUUUKUUUUUUUUU
Another_FoD_Robin
Correct me if I’m wrong and it may have changed since his first full season in charge but..... I am pretty sure GJ said he pays players on hierarchy level.... so the more they have done in the game or experience they have, the higher their wages are....however like I said it maybe wrong now...