Cheltenham Town v Cambridge United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Alf
If we are going to play 6' plus players they have to use that height to good effect especially in the box. They need to attack with intent, not just letting the ball bounce off their heads! Prime example for us was Julian Alsop. Not the greatest footballer in the world but he caused havock in the box, got his head in where it hurts and left a trail of human debris in his wake. Problem is, aggression and fight comes from within, I'm not sure it can be taught.
everyman
Alf wrote:If we are going to play 6' plus players they have to use that height to good effect especially in the box. They need to attack with intent, not just letting the ball bounce off their heads! Prime example for us was Julian Alsop. Not the greatest footballer in the world but he caused havock in the box, got his head in where it hurts and left a trail of human debris in his wake. Problem is, aggression and fight comes from within, I'm not sure it can be taught.
Let`s get Frear from M`WELL,he isn`t starting much.His crossing ability and pace would assist our cause immeasurably.
asl
everyman wrote:Let`s get Frear from M`WELL,he isn`t starting much.His crossing ability and pace would assist our cause immeasurably.
Are you crazy??? Several people on here will go absolutely spare at the thought of signing someone not even good enough to get into a Scottish team. :shock:
Mike1953
Rather surprised that 2 official reports on this game were rather complimentary to
CTFC. I left this dull game feeling that CU were the better of two poor teams and had squandered 2 or 3 good chances. Although the weather made good play difficult,
there were from us moments of skilful play on the ground, but these occurred between umpteen periods of 'air ball'. DW led well and several balls he won and chested down were not a random scattering, but used to better effect. The glaring need for another striker to complement and assist him was so obvious. Although TM had a better game, proper Full Back cover is lacking and needs to be fixed in January.
Shade
Cambridge were not the better team. They ended up having the better chances, but only 3. We kept getting into areas where we should have been getting better chances but indeed we are desperately missing experience in the last third. When we got the ball down we generally passed it around really well. But it's always going to be hard to break down a team that have just conceded a freak 7 goals. Everyone seems to be forgetting that Cambridge had only conceded 16 in 17 games before Saturday, and then they turned up last night with 10 behind the ball. Just because they had a terrible day at the office on Saturday doesn't mean it's going to happen again. In fact, it's less likely to happen again, based on their previous 17 games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good call re: Frear. Reminiscent of the 'go get Frear' thread/campaign on here just shy of two years ago. Sign him and see how Vince reacts.
Si Robin
I agree with RCS that the Holman who scored against Exeter would likely have scored last night, and yes I was there to witness it. Not only that, but Wright was completely isolated and having a natural striker (to take nothing away from Sellars who did his job well) like Holman to read the balls he did win in the air would likely have led to one or two more chances.

I actually thought we played well at times last night, we just lacked that killer instinct. I thought Hinds looked quite decent on the wing and worked well with Taylor Moore, although the amount of times we telegraphed crosses into the box was shocking. Cambridge had a game-plan to not concede, and even more so when their centre-back went off (anyone heard anything on him btw?). They were embarrassed on Saturday and they couldn't risk that again.

We'll be fine this season, we're a mid-table team. We're going to win as many as we lose with a smattering of draws thrown in. At least, by and large, we'll be suitable entertained.
Shade
Sean Derry said the lad that went off was concussed but not too bad, he's expected to just be out for as long as he has to be for a concussion. Thought he'd broken his neck the way they were dealing with him.
vickeryc
Good news - it was alarming at the time. Thankful the injury wasn't more serious.