Cheltenham Town v Cambridge United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here throughout the evening: http://bit.ly/CambridgeUHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
little mo
Only 5 subs and one of those is the 3rd choice keeper. Oh dear.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:Only 5 subs and one of those is the 3rd choice keeper. Oh dear.
What do you expect with so many injuries in-between transfer windows.
little mo
Didnt say i was expecting anything, just making a statement, sorry for that. Should i ask your permission next time?
Alf
Can't believe how we run out of ideas when we get the ball in and around the box. We should be at least two up by now. Is Neil Grayson still playing? :D
Last edited by Alf on 21 Nov 2017, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Can't believe how we run out of ideas when we get the ball in and around the box. We should be at least two up by now.
Need Holman back.
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:Can't believe how we run out of ideas when we get the ball in and around the box. We should be at least two up by now.
Need Holman back.
We need something. Cambridge are a poor side but we haven't the quality to see them off...... so far.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Really disappointing result. Hugely frustrating. Anymore like this and the waltz to top seven will start to look like a big struggle.
CTFCfan99
I'm not too disappointed given all our injuries/suspensions including Winchester coming off in the first half. Good to keep a clean sheet after conceding a lot recently. Dawson available again on Saturday, hopefully Graham will be fit and we can get Mo back in the XI after a well-earned rest today.
cheltenhamforever
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Really disappointing result. Hugely frustrating. Anymore like this and the waltz to top seven will start to look like a big struggle.
I don't believe the play-offs have ever looked likely this season. After last season's scare enough to consolidate in lower 3rd of the table and push on, maybe, next time.
Malabus
It was a case of bad decesion making, effort was there.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Shade
We looked really good for most of the game but badly missing the experience in the final third. Dawson, Graham and Winchester were a big miss. Desperate for the three to be fit on Saturday. Too many injuries. Sellars and Morrell need to believe they're going to score and put their foot through a shot.
confused.com
Need Holman back.
But you are telling us people have to go out on loan to free up money! Bringing him back will just add to the wage bill
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Need Holman back.
But you are telling us people have to go out on loan to free up money! Bringing him back will just add to the wage bill
No, I was suggesting that was a possible explanation. Was no opinion or evidence behind it. As said on that thread, could just be a case of needing game time.
Rulistening
What an awful game... Two garbage teams battling it out to prove their superiority in uselessness on the day. That NEEDS to be a one off performance especially at home. Gary was talking about how close to play offs we have to be by January.. Play like that are we will want to see how close we are to the relegation zone :oops:

We are missing important players but it was a little bit embarrassing today. Both teams lacked the quality to really do anything, Lets just hope the boys are up for the game on Saturday!
Benctfc
Why was our top scorer on the bench when we were drawing 0-0 at home? Why Mo didn't come on I have no idea.

We dominated the game possession and territory wise but had no cutting edge in the final third . However Cambridge had the better chances especially coming from set pieces where we always struggle in the end they probably feel they had the chances to win it. Hopefully the return of some of the senior players will help because this winless run is becoming concerning.
art vandalay
We were lively in the first half, broke through several times, but our finishing was poor and their keeper made a couple of very good reaction saves. Second half was more even and we looked short of ideas up front. I don't think any of Wright, Sellars or Hinds did enough to suggest that they should be playing more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hinds and Sellars good to have in the match squad for wing positions. Graham, Mo and Holman should be out three strikers in the match day squad unless we sign another in January.

Dawson was a big blow. Why he was risked in the Maidstone game I don't understand.
Benctfc
Another thing I notice is our lack of threat from set piece compared to teams we come up against it is non existent we have a lot of tall players usually on the pitch but none seem to attack the ball with intent. Compare back to a couple of years a go when we had Downes and Dickie who you felt at every corner were going to get their head on it. Do we actually work on this in training as it seems to happen every game.
Jon Palmer
Video interviews with Gary Johnson and Harry Pell here now: http://bit.ly/CambridgeUHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theidlerich
Hmmm! First half encouraging with so many injured; their keeper made a couple of decent saves, but we were poor final third as already mentioned. DW showed why he has the potential to be a middling CF in the conference which is his level. Second half very disjointed;profligate passing and crosses; Storey and O'Shaugnessy at fault mainly. Some decent corners from Sellars, but no-one really attacking the play. Needed some inspiration in the centre; why so late with subs, Atanga on too late. Disappointing not to gain three points, Cambridge very unimpressive; there again so were we! BBC stats 19 shots only a few on target! There's a thought for the coaches. (Downes and Dickie mentioned by Ben above - add Alsopp to that; we'ed have scored a few to-night..)
Any news on their guy stretchered off, looked serious.
If we need to free up some £ for January put DW on the transfer list [I rest my case yet again..]. Get an oxygen tent for our injured squadies - it would need to be fairly large....:(
Shade
Eisa was left out because he apparently has a bit of a groin problem and hasn't scored in something like 7 starts. GJ said he needs a rest after coming in to a full time club, training and playing non-stop for 5 months. He was never supposed to play as many games as he was going to be eased into the side as the season went on, but he hit the ground running and that changed.
vickeryc
What a frustrating game! Cambridge were probably the poorest team we've faced at WR this season and we made them look OK in the second half. The unfortunate injuries obviously led to Sellars, Morrell and (sub) Hinds all being on the pitch for much of the game. They are all gifted players and are effective with the right players around them. However, playing together, they cancel each other out. It also makes us very lightweight and incredibly lacking in physical presence.

One can never fault Danny Wright's effort and commitment, but he was also totally ineffective last night. I thought Pell was our best player and he looked dangerous in the first half, but once we got into the second period we completely ran out of ideas and I felt we could still be playing now and not have got the ball in the net. Ironic that Holman is rediscovering his touch at Boreham Wood with another brace last night.

We really missed Dawson, Graham and Eisa last night (and Winchester for much of the game) but, assuming they're all back on Saturday, I'm confident we'll be far more effective at TNL.
confused.com
vickeryc wrote:What a frustrating game! Cambridge were probably the poorest team we've faced at WR this season and we made them look OK in the second half. The unfortunate injuries obviously led to Sellars, Morrell and (sub) Hinds all being on the pitch for much of the game. They are all gifted players and are effective with the right players around them. However, playing together, they cancel each other out. It also makes us very lightweight and incredibly lacking in physical presence.

One can never fault Danny Wright's effort and commitment, but he was also totally ineffective last night. I thought Pell was our best player and he looked dangerous in the first half, but once we got into the second period we completely ran out of ideas and I felt we could still be playing now and not have got the ball in the net. Ironic that Holman is rediscovering his touch at Boreham Wood with another brace last night.

We really missed Dawson, Graham and Eisa last night (and Winchester for much of the game) but, assuming they're all back on Saturday, I'm confident we'll be far more effective at TNL.
Just a random thought. Given your comments re the attack and our 'superiority' in general. Would last night have been a good time to throw HP up front for a while. Granted it didn't work the last time, but that was when we were struggling
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Without Winchester, Dawson and Cranston we won't score from set-pieces.

As mentioned, two for Holman last night, and he'd easily have converted one or two of the abundant opportunities squandered by our less clinical players yesterday.
MittonRobin
We are now only 6 points off the Relegation Zone. People who have ever thought we will end up in the play offs are deluded! We are an average side at best.

Wake up People :roll: :roll:
Alf
I accept we have players out with injuries but the the players coming in are professional footballers so there should be no excuses. They are not people dragged in off the street to do us a favour.
Players leaning back when shooting, shots hitting defenders a couple of yards in front of the ball, crosses being lumped into the box to no one in particular. This is basic stuff, not rocket science.
Does anyone know why Pell no longer takes free kicks around the box? He had a good success rates when we won the league.
If we have any expectations of success we have to put away teams such as Cambridge. They worked hard but a decent performance from us should have secured the points. Very disappointing.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Without Winchester, Dawson and Cranston we won't score from set-pieces.

As mentioned, two for Holman last night, and he'd easily have converted one or two of the abundant opportunities squandered by our less clinical players yesterday.

Were you there to watch those missed chances or are you just guessing.
Oldun
I think "inconsistent" best describes where we're at the moment. Even within a game we have good patches (spell before half time last night) and times when we cannot string two passes together (beginning of second half last night). There may be a reason for that yesterday as certainly Cam.U. sat on Sellars in the second half to stop him influencing the game as in the first.
Also, as stated elsewhere we are having an awful run with injuries and the consequences of that are that the side can not settle into a regular pattern. I wonder, for example what last night's team would have been if all the original squad were available? Some of the players missing are key, important ones.
I suspect that we will struggle to reach top seven for this reason and because, with the greatest respect, the remaining players are not good enough. GJ probably had them in as squad players and not first team regulars. Defensively we were poor again last night and lucky to get away with no goals in the against column. How many times did their guys get a decent free header from corners and really they should have scored from some of them If Harry doesn't get his head on corners, the opposition does. Boyle is strong when the ball come towards him but not from corners and Grimes doesn't get there either. This is real worry. Maybe Scott needs to come out and boss more? Full backs were adequate, tho Oshock was bullied a bit by the big guy!
Going forward, Harry didn't shine yesterday, and although Morrell and Sellars were good going forward in first half they faded badly. Both had good ops to score though! I fear that Storer would be one of the players not in side if all were fit and Nige didn't cut it in last ten either. Danny runs his socks off but didn't contribute much last night, nor did Freddy! Again neither of these would feature if we had a fit healthy squad I suspect
Clearly Mo needs a break and maybe, just maybe Dan H will come back as he was two seasons ago, though I have my doubts! We need an experienced centre back if Forster is not coming back some time soon; we need a left back; we need a striker.
Over to you Mr Baker!
Having said all that...don't we all love being Robins supporters and bring on FG!
Lord Elpuz
As we began to run out of ideas in the second half, it was noticeable that Cambridge began to find space all over the pitch and we got penned back. That was a concern to me as we lost our shape and composure. No one in a Cheltenham shirt took control of the game. Another concern for me is that we are too slow to get players supporting attack, there are often big gaps between the strikers and the midfield when we are in possession going forward and then our pedestrian passing game is either very predicatable or we give away possession too easily trying to build the attacking play. It needs to be much sharper, much quicker, more accurate with clever movement creating space, to unlock defences.

The main disappointment was in the first half an hour when we always looked like we had a man spare as our possession was good, but we failed to capitalise with a goal.

One player I felt had a decent game was Taylor Moore; he made a superb and very determined tackle on their striker in the first half, as he was in on goal - the Lino then making a very very very late decision for offside.

Not a great game, but disappointing to hear the boo boys again at the end of the match. A demoralising rather than motivating response from those ‘fans’ for our players who worked hard, but with just a single point for reward.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Without Winchester, Dawson and Cranston we won't score from set-pieces.

Were you there to watch those missed chances or are you just guessing.
Had the chances described to me by more than one independent witness who I have no reason to doubt.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:As we began to run out of ideas in the second half, it was noticeable that Cambridge began to find space all over the pitch and we got penned back. That was a concern to me as we lost our shape and composure. No one in a Cheltenham shirt took control of the game. Another concern for me is that we are too slow to get players supporting attack, there are often big gaps between the strikers and the midfield when we are in possession going forward and then our pedestrian passing game is either very predicatable or we give away possession too easily trying to build the attacking play. It needs to be much sharper, much quicker, more accurate with clever movement creating space, to unlock defences.

The main disappointment was in the first half an hour when we always looked like we had a man spare as our possession was good, but we failed to capitalise with a goal.

One player I felt had a decent game was Taylor Moore; he made a superb and very determined tackle on their striker in the first half, as he was in on goal - the Lino then making a very very very late decision for offside.

Not a great game, but disappointing to hear the boo boys again at the end of the match. A demoralising rather than motivating response from those ‘fans’ for our players who worked hard, but with just a single point for reward.
Fans have a right to boo the side as a whole at the end of a match when there has been a very disappointing result like last night.
Oldun
Suggest that the Holman would "easily have converted one or two" comment is absolute nonsense! No one, not even the wise hindsight merchants on here know whether or not he would have been in the right place to do so and the evidence, which is not open to argument or debate is t hat he had ample opportunity to cement a place in the side but failed to do so. Simply, before he went out on loan he was not good enough. Harsh but true.
Again agree that the boo boys are a disgrace. The players gave it their best shot, and whilst the crowd may "have the right" to boo, it is hardly helpful to morale, especially for the younger lads. The spectators have short memories too! Guess they are harping back to the glory days of the 0-1 defeats here under Yates! Get real boys!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Immediately before going on loan Holman made and scored a goal in a game we had been trounced in through the type of movement, single mindedness and goal mouth instinct which no one else in the squad offers. Most recent evidence available!
Oldun
Does your evidence tell you how many chances he missed as well? Or how many times he did not get into scoring positions? or what his ratio of scoring per minutes is since we have been in the league? Simply put, he has not been good enough. Hopefully time away might improve him!