PB blanked in FGR board room

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
Can't remember but thought it was a pretty decent number. Few hundred like 500
Robin
I remember that game, thought we had around 500 there as we were all crammed into the ram shackled side of the ground which is now closed however I think the total number was actually just short of 400.
plymrob
Just out of interest - and in case we forget... how did we deal with the first visit from Argyle to Whaddon Road?

Maybe a sense of balance now and again...?
ctfc-fan
Karma biting Stale on the ass tonight in the FA Cup, my heart bleeds for him.
Ralph
plymrob wrote:Just out of interest - and in case we forget... how did we deal with the first visit from Argyle to Whaddon Road?

put them in the home and and we had the away end. Great as it turned out as Larrys 40yd screamer came right at us behind the goal
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote:Just out of interest - and in case we forget... how did we deal with the first visit from Argyle to Whaddon Road?

I thought we recognised that PAFC brought a lot of fans so moved them to the home end (C&G) to accommodate them and ensure as few as possible were denied entry. I had a season ticket in the C&G, got to the ground, was informed the club and done the right thing going out of their way to let Pilgrims have that terrace. I relocated around to the Wymans Rd Terrace along with all other C&G ST holders. Still, meant I got a better view of Larry's screamer! All in all, whilst doing our best to accommodate PAFC fans was disruptive to home fans, for a one off I had no problem with it if it meant as many Argyle as possible could get in.
Ralph
We would never of caught the beauty of Larrys goal if we had been in the C&G
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:We would never of caught the beauty of Larrys goal if we had been in the C&G
Indeed. So win win for both sets of fans. Plymouth fans got a bigger and better terrace than usually they would, and Cheltenham fans got to see the goal.
The Old TomCat
An interesting set of recent posts on this thread, mostly written in an offensive manner towards me that automatically puts me at top of the moral high ground. And because nobody has offered an alternative explanation it also confirms my original statement.
Seems you guys are more interested in shooting the messenger than reading the message.

If you guys flip the argument around, you’d understand why Dale Vince was justified and Baker’s complaint holds no water.
Should another club make an offer for a Cheltenham player who is under contact and that club uses the press to persue what then becomes illegal approaches for the Cheltenham player, you guys would be outraged. And if the chairman of that club, the chairman, makes statements in the press slagging off Cheltenham you guys would be incandescent with rage.

And what legal remedy would you guys suggest Cheltenham do?
Ban that chairman from the boardroom perhaps? But I believe football protocol forbids that.
Hand over the boardroom to the other chairman and find somewhere else to watch the match?
Or have an undignified argument in the boardroom amongst friends and guests?
But nothing would work better than completely blanking that chairman.

I have met Paul Baker and found him to be a friendly affable guy whose heart is Cheltenham. But he is a football league chairman and should have higher standards than to slag off another professional league club in the papers. Whether his opinions are right or wrong, matters not, in his position he should have kept them away from the press.
On the other hand Dale Vince has never publicly spoken ill of Cheltenham.

It is only a relative minor spat between the two clubs. I’m pretty sure neither club will do business with each other in the near future.
Whatever, at the end of the day Cheltenham & FGR are good for each other. The accountants at both clubs will be rubbing their hands with glee at end of every packed-out ElGlosico game. And there remains a lot of goodwill by both sets of fans towards each other, many of us live and work in same area.
The Old TomCat
Blakey 9 wrote:
dale vince sat with you turnip munchers as he was stopped from going into the private boxes as he refused to wear a tie , so he had no choice OTC. and yes you chat the most s#!t on this forum your a tool.

I don’t know reason why Dale Vince chose to watch last ElGlosico match with the FGR fans but as you say possibly because of an executive order that everybody in Cheltenham boardroom must wear tie.
It would not be first time Mr Vince has refused to enter an opponents boardroom under those conditions. In fact I believe DV was the first ever club chairman of a team playing at a national final to refuse to go into Royal Box because of that policy.
The following year DV became the first man in history to sit in Royal Box and accept a trophy from the Royal Box without wearing a tie. By then the Wembley officials had accepted he would not back down and knew it would be a PR presentation disaster without the FGR chairman to accept the trophy if FGR won on day, which they did.
Nesty
I didnt know ties had meat content.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:An interesting set of recent posts on this thread, mostly written in an offensive manner towards me that automatically puts me at top of the moral high ground. And because nobody has offered an alternative explanation it also confirms my original statement.
Seems you guys are more interested in shooting the messenger than reading the message.

If you guys flip the argument around, you’d understand why Dale Vince was justified and Baker’s complaint holds no water.
Should another club make an offer for a Cheltenham player who is under contact and that club uses the press to persue what then becomes illegal approaches for the Cheltenham player, you guys would be outraged. And if the chairman of that club, the chairman, makes statements in the press slagging off Cheltenham you guys would be incandescent with rage.

Ban that chairman from the boardroom perhaps? But I believe football protocol forbids that.
Hand over the boardroom to the other chairman and find somewhere else to watch the match?

I have met Paul Baker and found him to be a friendly affable guy whose heart is Cheltenham. But he is a football league chairman and should have higher standards than to slag off another professional league club in the papers. Whether his opinions are right or wrong, matters not, in his position he should have kept them away from the press.

It is only a relative minor spat between the two clubs. I’m pretty sure neither club will do business with each other in the near future.
Whatever, at the end of the day Cheltenham & FGR are good for each other. The accountants at both clubs will be rubbing their hands with glee at end of every packed-out ElGlosico game. And there remains a lot of goodwill by both sets of fans towards each other, many of us live and work in same area.
I know you get confused about which club you support but you are now confusing the Chairmen.

Baker didn't 'slag off' FGR in the Press.

We didn't make a bid for Frear. It never happened. It was worked up by agents and the media. So Baker kept quiet, and it was Vince who mouthed off in the newspaper and reported Cheltenham to the FA.

Only after these insults and false accusations did Baker go public to defend himself and criticise those slandering CTFC.

So in summary, the order of events are:
1.Baker stays silent and professional on Frear issue.
2. Vince makes false accusations about CTFC in the press and to the FA.
3. Baker defends CTFC in the press and clarifies we never approached Frear and that accusations from Vince were unwarranted and unprofessional.
4. Baker moves on and shows professionalism.
5. Vince still holds a petty grudge and snubs Baker at TNL.

I implore you to cease and desist with your rubbish and nonsense claims about Paul Baker. You lying and trying to claim black is white does you no favours.

This is nothing personal against Vince or FGR. I support his actions re: not wearing a tie and sticking two fingers up to outdated elitism. I support the vegan menu and sustainable infrastructure at the club. I have been an Ecotricity for more than five years. It is simply a case of decent human behaviour and common courtesy, both things severely lacking from Vince when it comes to opposing fans and Paul Baker.

Same way it is nothing personal against you. You're a passionate club man and would probably be a good laugh over an ale or two. However, when you spout tosh like this about Baker, completely misuse and misunderstand attendance data, or start a pathetic argument about Excel/mathematics terminology you will be called up on it and have the errors pointed out in frank terms.
Ralph
Any final words OTC?
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:An interesting set of recent posts on this thread, mostly written in an offensive manner towards me that automatically puts me at top of the moral high ground. And because nobody has offered an alternative explanation it also confirms my original statement.

I know you get confused about which club you support but you are now confusing the Chairmen.

Baker didn't 'slag off' FGR in the Press.

We didn't make a bid for Frear. It never happened. It was worked up by agents and the media. So Baker kept quiet, and it was Vince who mouthed off in the newspaper and reported Cheltenham to the FA.

Only after these insults and false accusations did Baker go public to defend himself and criticise those slandering CTFC.

So in summary, the order of events are:
1.Baker stays silent and professional on Frear issue.
2. Vince makes false accusations about CTFC in the press and to the FA.
3. Baker defends CTFC in the press and clarifies we never approached Frear and that accusations from Vince were unwarranted and unprofessional.
4. Baker moves on and shows professionalism.
5. Vince still holds a petty grudge and snubs Baker at TNL.

I implore you to cease and desist with your rubbish and nonsense claims about Paul Baker. You lying and trying to claim black is white does you no favours.

This is nothing personal against Vince or FGR. I support his actions re: not wearing a tie and sticking two fingers up to outdated elitism. I support the vegan menu and sustainable infrastructure at the club. I have been an Ecotricity for more than five years. It is simply a case of decent human behaviour and common courtesy, both things severely lacking from Vince when it comes to opposing fans and Paul Baker.

Same way it is nothing personal against you. You're a passionate club man and would probably be a good laugh over an ale or two. However, when you spout tosh like this about Baker, completely misuse and misunderstand attendance data, or start a pathetic argument about Excel/mathematics terminology you will be called up on it and have the errors pointed out in frank terms.
Spot on RCS
confused.com
OTC - just for clarification. Does packed out mean no space left, or above average turn out? If the former, I doubt the accountants are rubbing their hands very often
Jon Palmer
For clarification: Cheltenham Town WERE on the verge of signing Elliott Frear from Forest Green Rovers, 100 per cent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jon Palmer wrote:For clarification: Cheltenham Town WERE on the verge of signing Elliott Frear from Forest Green Rovers, 100 per cent.
Can you confirm why it broke down and what the resulting shenanigans in the press were about?
Si Robin
There's a thread on here from an interview with PB confirming it:

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... ar#p249692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, the Gloucestershire Live site links don't work any longer - but the fact is (according to PB) we met FGR's valuation of Frear and we then pulled out of the deal. Whether that was with FGR or Frear's agent isn't clear. It should also be pointed out that the first PB actually spoke to papers about it was in the above mentioned webchat.

It also needs to be reminded to OTC that the FA found that CTFC did nothing wrong following Dale Vince's complaint about alleged tapping up.

It should also be pointed out that PB didn't go to the press regarding Vince's actions, he wrote it in his programme notes and the Glos Live site picked it up from there.

Furthermore, in the week leading up to the game between FGR and Cheltenham, PB actually complimented Vince on what he has achieved with FGR.

Reading OTC's comments, I daresay he owes our chairman an apology because every accusation he has levelled at him is completely false.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
More likely to see Trump apologise or admit an error than OTC, Si. We can hope though!
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:Any final words OTC?
Yes, I stand by my statements.
But irrespective of whether you guys are right or wrong Paul Baker, as your Chairman, should not have said what he said to the press.
He demeaned his position as Chairman and should have kept his opinions to himself.
That is why I suspect Dale Vince cold shouldered him.
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
But irrespective of whether you guys are right or wrong Paul Baker, as your Chairman, should not have said what he said to the press.
He demeaned his position as Chairman and should have kept his opinions to himself.
Maybe DV should have done the same instead of bleating a load of spurious pony to the FA about CTFC.
Red&WhiteArmy
Tomcat ...... why don't you just f##k off :evil: :evil:
Shade
Hey, OTC...

Dale Vince is #$£!.
little mo
Red&WhiteArmy wrote:Tomcat ...... why don't you just f##k off :evil: :evil:
Agree with this. f#!$ Forest Green.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
You proudly stand by your statements, despite them being demonstrably nonsense and laughable? How bizarre.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Around 2,550 at TNL today, around 850 of which were Luton fans. So only about 1,700 home fans at the game. Poor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Old Tom Cat - whilst I am resting assured, would you like to make it interesting and enter a small wager with me?

You say you’ll finish mid table. I take that being places 11-14. FGR have got no hope of finishing there- you may sneak out of relegation places but tbh that would shock me rotten.

I bet you £100 FGR don’t finish in those places. Want to take that on? For charity if you wish, to make it more enjoyable for all involved.

If not I fully understand.

Also - I saw a Facebook post (sponsored, of course) from vince talking about planning permissions for his new folly off jct 13. Hilariously all the comments were completely against him, whether that was FGR fans not wanting to move or normal people seeing the folly of building a white elephant. I think, from the tone of his post, he expected fawning sycophants to fall over in their glee at his nonsense...it restored my faith in human nature to see unanimous derision at his delusions.

Here it is! https://www.facebook.com/dale.vince/pos ... 4940573496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vince will block them and then Ecotricity staff will all be asked to say something positive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Spot the home and away terraces: https://mobile.twitter.com/LutonTown/st ... 73/video/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And OTC’s plan to increase FGR’s attendances? Make the away end better!

http://forum.fgrfc.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Old TomCat
Jon Palmer wrote:For clarification: Cheltenham Town WERE on the verge of signing Elliott Frear from Forest Green Rovers, 100 per cent.
Your post John must be read with a large dose of salt.
John you failed to consult with FGR throughout the Frear saga and therefore do not know the full facts.
When the Frear saga first started you, Mr Palmer, acted as a glory hunting tabloid journalist rather than a responsible local reporter.
You printed many reports without consulting your Citizen colleague at FGR for verification of facts. Sadly for him and solely because of you he, as the Citizen/Echo reporter, was put on the ‘naughty step’ despite having no input whatsoever in Frear story.
Throughout you failed the basic test of confirming what you wrote was true and accurate. FGR contacted your office requesting that you check facts with them before publication but you ignored that and instead wrote a load of bullshine.
John, it seems you acted in a naive fashion being led by the nose by Frear’s agent. And in truth you have done more than anybody to sour previous good relations between Cheltenham Town FC and FGR.
RCS and others read your reports as gospel but a lot of it, especially about FGR, is pure bullshine.
I’ll give you an example of your sub-standard reporting in that you wrote in big headlines that Cheltenham had been exonerated by FA in Frear sage when in actual fact the FA chose not to pursue an investigation. A subtle difference in wording but a massive difference in context. Cheltenham were not exonerated but the Frear file was closed.
There again did you deliberately write up that piece to cover your back because of the countless errors you wrote up in the whole Frear sage?
And there is your report that there was a large incident at end of the last ElGlosico match where two set of fans nearly had a set to, when in actual fact all what happened was a small shouting match. The real report should have been that a policeman broke his ankle while on duty at match – a report that you glossed over.

John, I know that you live and work in the Cheltenham area and are a fan of the club but your paper is called GLOUCESTERSHIRE LIFE not Cheltenhamshire Life. At start of season FGR gained equal status as an EFL2 club to CTFC and the fixtures were arranged that either club play at home on alternate weekends.
As the main sports reporter for the county newspaper you should have made it your duty to alternate personal reports from WR & TNL, rather than rely on second-hand FGR snippets from other newspapers.
Sadly for Gloucestershire Life a Cornwell based newspaper, Sports Independent, has better FGR coverage than your Gloucestershire newspaper. Business is going to them rather than your paper which might even adversely affect your job.
So think about it John, think seriously about it, Stroud and FGR are a large part of the community. Stop writing your anti-FGR spiffle.
The Old TomCat
Jon Palmer wrote:http://bit.ly/BakerFGR
The actual details of the incident is that Dale Vince shook Paul Baker’s hand in the FGR boardroom and was prepared to engage in conversation with the Cheltenham chairman when Baker immediately said something untoward about FGR.
It was then that Dale Vince walked away.

Therefore these guys [RCS, Nesty, longmover, Robin, Ralph, Ben2, ctfc-fan, Vickeryc, Johnson’s Red Army] who condemned Mr Vince should apologise to him for being misled by Baker who failed to act within the accepted protocol of another club’s boardroom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Your post John must be read with a large dose of salt.
John you failed to consult with FGR throughout the Frear saga and therefore do not know the full facts.
When the Frear saga first started you, Mr Palmer, acted as a glory hunting tabloid journalist rather than a responsible local reporter.
You printed many reports without consulting your Citizen colleague at FGR for verification of facts. Sadly for him and solely because of you he, as the Citizen/Echo reporter, was put on the ‘naughty step’ despite having no input whatsoever in Frear story.
Throughout you failed the basic test of confirming what you wrote was true and accurate. FGR contacted your office requesting that you check facts with them before publication but you ignored that and instead wrote a load of bullshine.
John, it seems you acted in a naive fashion being led by the nose by Frear’s agent. And in truth you have done more than anybody to sour previous good relations between Cheltenham Town FC and FGR.
RCS and others read your reports as gospel but a lot of it, especially about FGR, is pure bullshine.
I’ll give you an example of your sub-standard reporting in that you wrote in big headlines that Cheltenham had been exonerated by FA in Frear sage when in actual fact the FA chose not to pursue an investigation. A subtle difference in wording but a massive difference in context. Cheltenham were not exonerated but the Frear file was closed.
There again did you deliberately write up that piece to cover your back because of the countless errors you wrote up in the whole Frear sage?
And there is your report that there was a large incident at end of the last ElGlosico match where two set of fans nearly had a set to, when in actual fact all what happened was a small shouting match. The real report should have been that a policeman broke his ankle while on duty at match – a report that you glossed over.

John, I know that you live and work in the Cheltenham area and are a fan of the club but your paper is called GLOUCESTERSHIRE LIFE not Cheltenhamshire Life. At start of season FGR gained equal status as an EFL2 club to CTFC and the fixtures were arranged that either club play at home on alternate weekends.
As the main sports reporter for the county newspaper you should have made it your duty to alternate personal reports from WR & TNL, rather than rely on second-hand FGR snippets from other newspapers.
Sadly for Gloucestershire Life a Cornwell based newspaper, Sports Independent, has better FGR coverage than your Gloucestershire newspaper. Business is going to them rather than your paper which might even adversely affect your job.
So think about it John, think seriously about it, Stroud and FGR are a large part of the community. Stop writing your anti-FGR spiffle.
It is not anti-FGR, it is objective journalism. Because your outlook is so biased and sycophantic, to you objective journalism reads as anti-FGR. I suggest you get your head out of your bubble. Your are embarrassing yourself.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:http://bit.ly/BakerFGR
The actual details of the incident is that Dale Vince shook Paul Baker’s hand in the FGR boardroom and was prepared to engage in conversation with the Cheltenham chairman when Baker immediately said something untoward about FGR.
It was then that Dale Vince walked away.

Therefore these guys [RCS, Nesty, longmover, Robin, Ralph, Ben2, ctfc-fan, Vickeryc, Johnson’s Red Army] who condemned Mr Vince should apologise to him for being misled by Baker who failed to act within the accepted protocol of another club’s boardroom.
Provide the evidence and I will consider apologising.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:RCS you’re more diligent than I (I can’t be bothered to read his drivel) ..... I take it his long response is the Old Turncoat’s way of not taking me up on my bet?

Funny fact of life that when people start losing arguments they start talking more rather than doing the obvious (shutting up)
I didn’t read his whole post. Just saw the bits where he was accusing Jon Palmer of false and bias reporting - which is all you need know from his rambling diatribe.

JP writes objectively and factually about FGR, which doesn’t fit OTCs one-eyed sycophancy for Vince, so OTC kicks out against failing biased media. His hands must be too big for Twitter :lol: :lol:

He also blames JP for getting a Citizen journalist banned from TNL, and credits a false report on ‘trouble’ after the FGR v CTFC match to JP when it was first written by Ash of the Stroud News and Journal.

OTC claims to know that FGR attempted to contact “JPs office” - like his claims about the Boardroom snub by Vince, this statement is not backed up by any evidence.

I am actually concerned, and hope other FGR look out for him at matches as dementia seems to have set in.

He ignored your bet Ben2. Something with a simple yes or no answer with no room for spinning or distorting facts is not his scene.
Si Robin
I fail to take anyone seriously when they can't spell someone's name right, even though their name is in the quoted post.