The pitch

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
i've noticed the pitch has started to cut up at the PRE where the keepers warm up, why don't they have the keepers warming up (diving) behind the byline (and off the pitch) where here is a good 10 foot of free space?
Shade
Couple of other areas where the warm ups take place are cut up too. Still, it's 80% better than this time last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Will take years and investment to get back to what it was before the groundshare/underinvestment period. Probably more costly in the long run.
longmover
Just move the warm ups off the field of play
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Will take years and investment to get back to what it was before the groundshare/underinvestment period. Probably more costly in the long run.
Will it really though? I was under the impression we scraped off the top layer each summer and then re-seeded it so without the excess games on it now there shouldn't be any reason why it can't be as good as it used to be assuming there isn't some other issue.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Will take years and investment to get back to what it was before the groundshare/underinvestment period. Probably more costly in the long run.
Will it really though? I was under the impression we scraped off the top layer each summer and then re-seeded it so without the excess games on it now there shouldn't be any reason why it can't be as good as it used to be assuming there isn't some other issue.
Was reported last summer it will take a while for soil structure to recover to allow the the new top layers to bind properly without cutting up.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:
Was reported last summer it will take a while for soil structure to recover to allow the the new top layers to bind properly without cutting up.
Was under the impression it was a sand-based pitch. Hey-ho.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That's what I mean. The sand layer and top soil will keep cutting up and coming loose until it starts to bind properly with the soil below the sand. Some of the chunks which come up loose are dead. The roots find no nutrients or decent soil structure to grow into beneath the sand.