Coventry City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here: http://bit.ly/CoventryCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
down to the bare bones, who is 32 Dawes? January cannot come quick enough
asl
Hinds ruled out following a car crash. Has Flatt gone back?
MSB
A bit scrappy from both sides but a really good first half to watch.

Mo with a free kick off the bar and two shots well saved by their keeper before scoring.

Coventry also with some very good chances not taken.
robinsrule
I agree with the above comment, entertaining game with some dodgy defending by both sides. Cov should have scored more and should have had two penalties as well so not complaining about the current score!
Nesty
given the injuries a good performance by all accounts, once we get some of the injured players fit and get some new recruits we should do ok
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:given the injuries a good performance by all accounts, once we get some of the injured players fit and get some new recruits we should do ok
Yup, narrow defeat away at promotion chasers with so many of the squad injured is promising in a sense. It shows a patched up team can still compete in the top ten on their day. Once the squad is back to full strength it means we can be confident of good depth and the squad being good enough to be promoted- even if we have too much to catch up to achieve it by the time the squad is ready.
robinsrule
We weren't in the game second half, our only real chance was the ball across the box right at the end. But it was a narrow defeat and we certainly weren't overawed.
Jon Palmer
Video with Gary Johnson now here: http://bit.ly/CoventryCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Thought it was an end to end game, we matched Coventry for the most part but we are painfully lacking in the final third, only player they were worried about was Eisa who was very good. Wright was honestly painful to watch and Pell was a big improvement upfront as he could actually win a header. Thought Storer looked a yard off the pace and Morrell was wasted out on the wing. Flinders didn't have many saves to make (largely as they missed the target more often than not) but one in the second half was superb. Boyle was also very good at the back.

How it ended only 2-1 when both sides could easily have scored more I'll never know. For those fans who couldn't be bothered today you missed out best ground in the division, great atmosphere and an enjoyable match despite the result.
Robin
Jon Palmer wrote:Video with Gary Johnson now here: http://bit.ly/CoventryCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounded to me like GJ is not happy with Wright, O'Shoggers and someone from midfield (perhaps Storer?). I thought O'Shoggers was fine today but Wright just isn't up to it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:Video with Gary Johnson now here: http://bit.ly/CoventryCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounded to me like GJ is not happy with Wright, O'Shoggers and someone from midfield (perhaps Storer?). I thought O'Shoggers was fine today but Wright just isn't up to it.
“We don’t have both strikers firing, Mo got his goal but we did create other strikers, but I can’t change it until we get players in or back fit” - definitely a comment on Wright.

“Midfielders not playing strikers in when they have the chance” - even in the Conference Storer wasn’t able to do that so assume as you suggest that is about him.

Who took the throw-ins in the first min? DOS?
paperboy
Agree.

We need a couple of wins before the window opens to encourage the club to back GJ with funds for the further reinforcements needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:Agree.

We need a couple of wins before the window opens to encourage the club to back GJ with funds for the further reinforcements needed.
Barnet and Yeovil: struggle to handpick two more winnable games.

Gary has been clear that the lack of passion, fight and toughness in the second half today was unnacceptable and he needs to bring in players who don’t panic away from home. Hopefully that acts as a rocket to make some of the current players buck up and do a job at Barnet next week; failure to win would probably be our worst result since Altrincham?
robinsrule
I also had a good view of Pell's horror challenge and he was very lucky to stay on the pitch. His only saving grace was that he didn't fully catch their player but if the challenge was the other way round I'd have been screaming for a red card.
CTFC03
Let's end this play off talk unless we sign 4-5 quality players it's not going to happen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Let's end this play off talk unless we sign 4-5 quality players it's not going to happen.
That's the point mate. IF we win the next three winnable games we are close to on par for 70 points. As Gary said post match, he expects a few signings and a different look to the team.

Face the reality yesterday. We literally had half a squad and were close to winning away at a team who will make the playoffs. Atangana and Lovett are the only first team squad we really had on the bench yesterday. So we went into the game with a first team squad of 13, with three or four on the pitch who would normally be on the bench.

Just shows how good depth in the squad is and once players are back fit and Gary signs four or five then no reason we can't close in on 70+ points.

We just have to hope the bad timing of injuries viz the window doesn't scupper us in the next three matches. If we don't win them then POs likely too far away to reach no matter how much we kick on after January.
Robin
CTFC03 wrote:Let's end this play off talk unless we sign 4-5 quality players it's not going to happen.
I don't see too much wrong with play off talk even if unlikely this season, at the start expectations were low and I think most people would have accepted mid-table however to keep aiming higher and not allow ourselves to drift for the remainder or heaven forbid get dragged into the scrap at the bottom.
horlickfanclub
Four of the squad are out on loan so we have numbers on the staff . Hopefully when injuries get sorted we have some back up .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Four of the squad are out on loan so we have numbers on the staff . Hopefully when injuries get sorted we have some back up .
Are all four first team squad quality?
horlickfanclub
I would ask the Manager that Regency.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:I would ask the Manager that Regency.
Well he probably thinks not else they would not be out on loan.
horlickfanclub
He signed them.
Shade
Who are the four?
Holman, who was great when he came in and then dipped dramatically from the start of last season.
Davey, who is out to get first team games in order to get him up to speed.

Who are the other two? Young prospect Page has been recalled so not him.
Oldun
I promised myself I would not take the bait and respond anymore to the moaning innuendo directed at GJ However once again I cannot let the "He signed them" throwaway line go without putting in just a little common sense and perspective. Shall we just take Dan H as one example.
You are right of course Gary signed him. He was an enormous success and played a large part in getting us back into the league. So far so good Gary.
Unfortunately he then had a long standing and serious injury after which he has not been the same player. Whether he would have had the success in the league or not only Horlick knows. Consequently he is out on loan and possibly will leave in January or even come back and net a hatful. Unlikely I know.
What I am saying is that this is not a stick with which you can beat Gary. No doubt you will find another one though so in the end I guess I am wasting my time!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:He signed them.
Maybe we should ban OTC, you go on enough yourself in a similar fashion as it is.

Look at the four:

Holman - not even you could argue he wasn’t a good signing by Gary. Shame his injuries have changed him so much.

Davey - potential but needs match play before being ready for first team.

Page - hardly a Gary ‘signing’ and already called back to make up numbers.

Thomas - hardly a Gary ‘signing’. Like all promising kids, it is in the Club’s interest to get them on a pro-contract as we get more cash if someone wants to sign them.

“Kids and out of form striker go on loan to get match time” - not normally something fans would pick on to criticise the manager about, though of course your hatred of Gary isn’t normal.
confused.com
Oldun- thank you, was worried you were ill.
longmover
Robins revealed that he went against the advice of his coaching staff to throw Bayliss in and the 18-year-old certainly did not let him down.

"He’s going to be a good player," Robins said.

"We’ve got to keep his feet on the ground. I’m told his mum was nervous and his dad delighted. It was a good day for him – but it’s the first of many. He is a talent.

GJ please take note ;)
horlickfanclub
Careful Longmover. You will be accused of hating the Manager if you raise points like this.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Careful Longmover. You will be accused of hating the Manager if you raise points like this.
Nope. Longmover shows balance, referring to positives and negatives where due. Don't offend Longmover by comparing them to yourself.

Your postings are purely negative, trying to turn everything, no matter how irrelevant and petty into a dig at the manager at any opportunity. And is quite sad to read.