The Ricoh

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
That was one of the strangest atmosphere I've experienced at a football ground, fair play to the the Coventry fans that turn up there week in week out I don't think I could face that experience at home games it almost didn't seem real. That club has had the life sucked from it and definitely has an air of 'last throws' about it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How good a job do they do of covering up all the Wasps rugby branding, or is it really obvious Coventry just rent it from them?
longmover
They don't, the Wasp's logo are about three times the size of the cov ones, I'd be interested to know what that relationship is like?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:They don't, the Wasp's logo are about three times the size of the cov ones, I'd be interested to know what that relationship is like?
Fraught as I understand.

Family member I sit next to at Whaddon Rd has been Sky Blue since the 70s and they tell me Wasps secured an unbalanced deal.

There is only one or two years left on the deal and Wasps have made no suggestion yet they want to bother extending it - the perception is Wasps want Coventry out. Especially after Saracens and Newcastle have shown artificial pitches are the way to go, which obviously is incomparable with football under current rules.

Apparently, Coventry did have early stage plans to develop the facilities at Coventry Rugby Club and share there after leaving the Ricoh, but when issuing the last contract extension Wasps made Coventry football sign a clause that they would not fund upgrades or share at Coventry Rugby - presumably to avoid any local competition.
longmover
What a mess, Highfield Road was a nice ground. Be careful what you wish for eh.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:What a mess, Highfield Road was a nice ground. Be careful what you wish for eh.
Yup. Nice new stand at WR will suit me fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Out of interest, were the Cov fans all spread out or clustered in one area?
longmover
Both sides housed home fans, the singing section were in the corner closest to the away fans, one end was completely empty apart from a big picture of Jimmy Hill
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Both sides housed home fans, the singing section were in the corner closest to the away fans, one end was completely empty apart from a big picture of Jimmy Hill
Good to see other clubs honouring a Fulham legend :lol:

Seriously though, that does sound quite a strange atmosphere as you say.
longmover
Once any singing had stopped (from either set of fans) there was just deathly silence and the PA was far too loud, its not like they are competing with any crowd noise.
Robin
I thought the atmosphere was a hundred times better than the "derby" with Forest Green. Even with 6500 in there the acoustics were fantastic and even a few hundred fans could make some real noise.

Felt like yesterday was a great away day at a Premier league standard ground, everything well organised, good facilities, great views, good atmosphere from the 600 or so away fans, Cov fans made good noise too.
Robin
I was talking with a couple of their fans and they have been screwed massively by SISU and Wasps, have to feel sorry for them as they a huge club at this level, lost their ground which is one of the best outside the Prem and seen their home attendances plummet with little hope of any investment in the near future.