One out in January?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/DefenderDepart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Not that happy with this, I like the lad and believe his left foot and thrown in are great assets on this level, I'd certainly like to keep him and can think of others to move on ahead of him.
Lord Elpuz
I find it difficult to comprehend why he’s (allegedly) being let go, unless the lad wishes to return to Finland at this time. I rate him at this level and he carries a real threat from throw-ins. It’s a shame we’ve not had much opportunity for Brian Graham to make use of Daniel’s long throw.
Shade
He had a few dodgy appearances last season but he hasn't let us down at all this season, that I can think of, in the few chances he's had. Indeed, he made an immediate impact when he came on for Cranston, against Luton.
THECHOIRBOY
I guess we will find out if he wanted to or not. I think he is ok cover for LB or CB but I would say not good enough to start in either position.

If his family are back in Finland and he has chance of regular footy for one of their top teams then go for it. I don't think it would be hard to find someone of a similar standard to him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Comments after Coventry from Gary were pretty damning.
vickeryc
Like others in the squad, he is prone to the odd poor game, but overall he is decent and his long throw is a fantastic weapon. I'd be disappointed to see him go, though obviously there may be personal reasons why he wants to move to Finland.
Robin
I can see Wright following him out of the door based upon GJ's comments.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:I can see Wright following him out of the door based upon GJ's comments.
Quite possibly. Although Danny has been an excellent servant for the club and has always given 100%, he has had plenty of chances but has failed to be effective for quite a while. Sadly, this seems an appropriate time for him to move on.
I-Love-CTFC
With Manny coming back next month, O'Shaughnessy would move further down the pecking order at centre back and he doesn't always look particularly comfortable at left back.
everyman
Lord Elpuz wrote:I find it difficult to comprehend why he’s (allegedly) being let go, unless the lad wishes to return to Finland at this time. I rate him at this level and he carries a real threat from throw-ins. It’s a shame we’ve not had much opportunity for Brian Graham to make use of Daniel’s long throw.
He will be ready for the start of Finnish season in April,and competing in champions league for his new club ?
Robin
vickeryc wrote:
Robin wrote:I can see Wright following him out of the door based upon GJ's comments.
Quite possibly. Although Danny has been an excellent servant for the club and has always given 100%, he has had plenty of chances but has failed to be effective for quite a while. Sadly, this seems an appropriate time for him to move on.
I do wonder if the lad from Colchester is a potential replacement for Wright and you'd imagine he's be cheaper too.
CTFC03
Shame, generally I thought he was quite consistent without being a standout individual, good luck in Finland Dan.
longmover
vickeryc wrote:
Can't see how GJ can expect much return from DW considering he's been running the line over the full 90 and normally comes off the bench when Graham and Mo are fit. So to say he hasn't been productive is a tad harsh and lets be honest the service to the front two has been sadly lacking.
vickeryc
longmover wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
Can't see how GJ can expect much return from DW considering he's been running the line over the full 90 and normally comes off the bench when Graham and Mo are fit. So to say he hasn't been productive is a tad harsh and lets be honest the service to the front two has been sadly lacking.
DW's role is primarily as a target man rather than an out and out striker. Despite numerous starts he has rarely been effective in terms of creating chances/ assists (which one would expect from a target man), and he hasn't scored many goals either. Sorry, I'm not convinced!
horlickfanclub
Mark Robins would not agree.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Mark Robins would not agree.
£300k and Robins can have him.
theidlerich
Vickeryc 's quote .." DW's role is primarily as a target man rather than an out and out striker. Despite numerous starts he has rarely been effective in terms of creating chances/ assists (which one would expect from a target man), and he hasn't scored many goals either. Sorry, I'm not convinced!"
My thoughts exactly from when I first saw him at the friendly in Cirencester when on trial. Cannot fathom why he has lasted here for so long.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Conference/League Two only In 91 starts and 15 sub appearances (ie total of 106) he has scored 34 goals. So a little over 1 in 3 (3.1176 to be precise).

Though this season he has only got 3 in 24 games (1 in 8).

Last season he got 9 in 42 games which is 1 goal every 4.66 games.

So this is his least effective season for us.

Bear in mind though that since August 2007 until playing for us in August 2015 he scored 83 goals. That was over seven years, averaging 11.85 goals a season.

In two and a half seasons for us, he is averaging above that (13.6).

However, it is blatantly obvious that his Conference season for us was an exception. Scoring 22 goals in 43 appearances. That is 18% of his career goals, in a single season when he has appeared in 10.5 seasons so far.

In fact it boils down to December, January and Ferbruary of that season. In 12 games in those three months he scored in 9 of them, tallying 11 goals. Half his goals that season in those 12 games.

Looking at the two seasons before signing for us. He scored more goals in those 12 games than in 40 games at FGR (8 goals). The same number of goals in those 12 games as in 46 games combined at Gateshead and Kidderminster.

That season was the only time he got more 15 goals in a Conference season. Which he only did twice, in 2012/13 for Wrexham, and 2007/2008 for Histon. Apart from those seasons his next highest return was 10 in a season, once for Histon and his only season at Cambridge.

So to surmise, we got an exceptional season out of him. And for someone with a hit and miss record in the Conference to play in the League for the first time just before turning 32, and scoring 9 goals, is a great achievement. That is more goals in his first L2 season than in some Conference seasons.

We certainly got the best out of Danny, and he has been a great servant. However he does have his limits and is he going to get us another 9 goals to help keep us up in L1? If the you think the answer is no, then we will have to release at some point. We need to focus on building a team which can get us up and keep us up.
Shade
And 6 paragraphs now on all of his assists and goals that he's helped create, please. A CF is about more than just goals.

I'm sure that this will indeed be DW's last season with us as he is becoming less effective and looking increasingly tired (to me) but you can't judge a player like him on stats alone, unless you get his sat nav thing details maybe. And he'll always be a legend to me for starting a f#!$ Forest Green chant on the mic from the main stand after we won the NL title.
horlickfanclub
Its a squad game.
Benctfc
According to Jon Palmer Pell is playing up front today with Mo and Wright is left on the bench.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:According to Jon Palmer Pell is playing up front today with Mo and Wright is left on the bench.
Must mean Hinds is in midfeild then.

Official site line up suggests otherwise for now:

https://www.ctfc.com/matches/fixtures/f ... 23-dec-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I would not be surprised if Wright is moved on in January, feel GJ is losing patience with him.