Cheltenham Town v Yeovil Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/YeovilBoxingDay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Got to approach these games with ruthlessness. Try to get the opposition manager the sack.
Shade
All of a sudden we've got 4 strikers on the bench, but trust none of them to have enough fitness or form to stop Pell playing in behind Eisa.
Nesty
we have still got too many square pegs in round holes, ok partly caused by injury, and hopefully can be addressed in the january window
triggo
I'm not a FA coach.... but I do know one thing, if you cant hit the target in 90 mins you wont score a goal.
.. and before you bother, the post doesn't count :roll: :roll:
Abysmal shooting . FFS keep em down.
2nd half we were woeful/ looked like Barnett last week and they were Shyte !!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dawson a muppet for getting the only goal bound shot disallowed. Yeo heads may well have dropped after that. A real turning point and probably cost us three points.

Feck that s#!t. Midtable boredom from herein barring a miracle run.
confused.com
we are an average team and certainly no better than average. first half we copuldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo> sellars, no final product and doesnt cover back. Defence in second half a complete joke. I wonder who thinks Manny wont be an improvement to that shambles. First goal ball watching, second grim grimes. They are a poor team, but all that mattefrs is the score
Shade
Have to say, re the goal that wasn't, the lino didn't give it. First thing I did was look at him and his flag stayed down. So ref must have given it and how does he decide whether Daws was offside from behind him? Heard someone say he didn't touch it until it was over the line anyway.

Sellars has got to work hard on two things: shooting and not always cutting inside and running across the pitch 25 yards from goal then ptrying to play it to someone on the edge of the box with his back to goal. FFS, get down the libe and cross the damn thing. Same goes for Moore repeatedly crossing from 30 yards out when he has the opportunity to get much further down the line.

Wrong decison taking Atangana off. We barely won the ball back at all after that. Needed him to deal with the top-knot midget.
Alf
Decision making re crosses and passes into the box are random and never seem to target one of our players. Just hit and hope. Our finishing is abysmal. Again, hit and hope without really threatening the opposition goal. Trouble is good strikers are a precious commodity and can’t be bought on eBay with loose change from the back of the chairman’s sofa. The transfer window is going to make or break our season.
Uppy
Shade wrote:Have to say, re the goal that wasn't, the lino didn't give it. First thing I did was look at him and his flag stayed down. So ref must have given it and how does he decide whether Daws was offside from behind him? Heard someone say he didn't touch it until it was over the line anyway.

Sellars has got to work hard on two things: shooting and not always cutting inside and running across the pitch 25 yards from goal then ptrying to play it to someone on the edge of the box with his back to goal. FFS, get down the libe and cross the damn thing. Same goes for Moore repeatedly crossing from 30 yards out when he has the opportunity to get much further down the line.

Wrong decison taking Atangana off. We barely won the ball back at all after that. Needed him to deal with the top-knot midget.

Linesman did put his flag up. Just it was two or three seconds after the ball had gone in.
Robin
Where to start with that, somehow lost a game we never looked in any real danger of losing. We played some really nice stuff for a large proportion of the match but our shooting and delivery into the box was poor, we must have had countless free kicks on the edge of the area, corners and yet we rarely threatened from them, the one time Eisa goes clean through after a great move he puts it past the keeper and Dawson slides in from off side position. They get a goal against the run of play and GJ takes off our best players and replaces them with Hinds (no goal threat and easily brushed off the ball), Graham wins a few headers but not much else, Wright runs and not much else.

On the plus side I thought Atangana was fantastic today so much better than Storer in that role and we need him in midfield playing like that week in and week out now please.
Robin
confused.com wrote:we are an average team and certainly no better than average. first half we copuldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo> sellars, no final product and doesnt cover back. Defence in second half a complete joke. I wonder who thinks Manny wont be an improvement to that shambles. First goal ball watching, second grim grimes. They are a poor team, but all that mattefrs is the score
Spot on about Sellars, he has so much skill yet his end product is so poor, delivery into the box and shooting were so bad today. If he improves those the lad will go on to play a lot higher in the pyramid and hopefully net us a decent fee too.

The frustrating thing was Yeovil were so poor and just there for the taking.
Shade
Manny with Boyle at CB, Winchester in midfield where he can make things happen with his passing and movement, and a striker that can shoot and isn't caught offside every other time the ball is played forward would be pretty decent. Graham was banging the shots into the corners in the warm up but he didn't get a chance when he came on. I thought Hinds was doing well up front, causing problems for them, bit then he got pushed out wide.

Sellars just needs to make something happen, whether it's a goal or assist, to give him some confidence that he actually can do more than hang onto the ball around the area.

To be honest, we haven't learnt anything new today. We need a few players to turn us from a decent-looking, inconsistent lower mid-table team into play-off hopefuls.
theidlerich
Bitty, inconsistent, couldn’t fathom the positioning nor the tactics and it seemed the players didn’t either! Was their goalie tested – no! Weak shots when one attempted or hoofed over the bar aka Spencer. Ref should have given a few yellows first half to get the game flowing and curtail their disruptive fouling – too little too late when he eventually did. Sellars trickery lovely to see, but little end product; Pell flattered but deceived nobody. Morrell MoM, hmm wouldn’t really have picked anyone out especially to-day. First goal everyone frozen – a moment in time - why? Second –ghastly. If the team worked last week it certainly didn’t to-day. Replacing a startled hare [Sellars][[ incidentally hares are quick but run in random directions, forwards, sideways etc….no set pattern]] with two ponderous elephants ; crazy. Achieved little except relief for their defence. Well one Johnson’s star in the ascendancy approx. 40 miles south; the other waning fast I feel. Sum up, disappointing - very.
Benctfc
Today just reconfirms how the season has been going and that we are an inconsistent lower midtable team. We are still a few players away from being able to challenge near the top 7 of this league. The most important signing need in January is a LB to free up Winchester into midfield as his talent is wasted where he is atm.

As for the game it was the same old story with most players Sellars good on the ball but no end product, Grimes making his customery mistake a game and more inaccurate crossing be it set piece or open play. The postives were Atangana who looks a step up from Storer and that Mo looked reasonably sharp in a better team who would pick out his runs he would score a hatful in this league.
confused.com
surely to God, if Sellars can beat 5 men when running across rhe pitch. He sould be able to beat 2 or 3 going forward towards the goal ?
asl
How many times was Mo offside while looking straight along the line? How many times did we put a dead ball straight down the keeper's throat? Agreed that Nigel was the one bright spark: yes, he gave the ball away a couple of times but then moved heaven and Earth to get it back which was mightily impressive.
Rulistening
I believe it was grimes at fault for their second goal. Thats not even primary school levels of defending.. Shambolic and he NEEDS to be benched for the next game.

Wasn't for a lack of effort today for around 65-70 minutes just yet again looked a bit clueless. We just keep running ourselves into danger with no clinical side to our game

Sellars for all his running is far too obvious and tries to cut in when he has absolutely no right foot. Needed to be changed a lot earlier, and dont even get me started on why atangana was taken off!!- However much I like Gary, his substitutions really do confuse me. But im not paid to make the decisions nor do i see them in training. But very VERY strange. 4 strikers and we delayed until the 70th minute when showing no threat of scoring.... mind boggling
confused.com
Rulistening wrote:I believe it was grimes at fault for their second goal. Thats not even primary school levels of defending.. Shambolic and he NEEDS to be benched for the next game.

Wasn't for a lack of effort today for around 65-70 minutes just yet again looked a bit clueless. We just keep running ourselves into danger with no clinical side to our game

Sellars for all his running is far too obvious and tries to cut in when he has absolutely no right foot. Needed to be changed a lot earlier, and dont even get me started on why atangana was taken off!!- However much I like Gary, his substitutions really do confuse me. But im not paid to make the decisions nor do i see them in training. But very VERY strange. 4 strikers and we delayed until the 70th minute when showing no threat of scoring.... mind boggling
Que Oldun :)
THECHOIRBOY
Rulistening wrote:I believe it was grimes at fault for their second goal. Thats not even primary school levels of defending.. Shambolic and he NEEDS to be benched for the next game.

Yet when we did bring on three of them we strangely looked far worse!

Whilst I have criticised Sellars he was always our out ball and was at least lively..... Taking him, Mo and Atangana off was strange to say the least and then to hear Gary say they were 'passengers' second half made me even more confused!
Oldun
I have already made my position clear so I am saying nothing! I love the "after the event" wisdom. Takes such a lot of skill and footballing wisdom. Wish I could do it!

Except...shouldn't it be "cue Oldun"?
CTFC03
Can't stand all of this talk coming from the club about challenging for the play offs, we had a great chance today to push ourselves closer and we completely bottled it, we are not going to finish anywhere near the play offs unless we are getting some super players like a quality LB in to free up Winchester (who I thought played well again) will help us in terms of creativity further forward, a striker and not only that it would be nice to get one in who is not always offside, the amount of strikers we've had at this club that have been flagged offside is quite frankly ridiculous and so frustrating to watch. Manny will help with his pace at the back so Grimes I hope will be benched unless Gary goes 3 at the back with Manny in the middle of Boyle and Grimes incase one of the 2 drop a blunder with his pace it might be a get of jail card free card, it will be interesting to see as Grimes has the armband atm.

Disappointed that Nigel was taken off unless he was flagging or they were managing his fitness, he glides round the pitch and is a nuisance and keeps it simple, he was terrific at Barnet and effective today. Apparently Graham is not fit at all so not sure why he was thrown in when he's just come back from a hamstring injury but needs must I guess..
confused.com
confused.com wrote:

Que ?
To be honest one of the least logical comments ever. Do you propose we give player ratings and a review of the Newporr performance now ???. Either that or explain how you can comment on a match, before it takes place.
The Old TomCat
Down at Exeter we were told within minutes of the 3pm kick-off that a Yeovil player had broken his leg at Cheltenham.
Hopefully it is not as bad as first announced and I wish him a full and speedy recovery.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:Down at Exeter we were told within minutes of the 3pm kick-off that a Yeovil player had broken his leg at Cheltenham.
Hopefully it is not as bad as first announced and I wish him a full and speedy recovery.
Stretcher but no split bone asfaik.
Sprout Picker
confused.com wrote:
confused.com wrote:

Que ?
To be honest one of the least logical comments ever. Do you propose we give player ratings and a review of the Newporr performance now ???. Either that or explain how you can comment on a match, before it takes place.
Why have you quoted yourself?! Heavy night?! ;) :lol:
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Down at Exeter we were told within minutes of the 3pm kick-off that a Yeovil player had broken his leg at Cheltenham.
Stretcher but no split bone asfaik.
Medial ligament damage is the fear.
confused.com
I suppose we should have expected it, given it was a bank holiday, a winnable game and a decent crowd. Don't know how many times we have flopped in front of a decent crowd of floating supporters. Wonder in many of them will be back