Cheltenham Town v Newport County

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/NewportH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
Holman must be poor for dawson to be on the pitch
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Holman must be poor for dawson to be on the pitch
Dawson one of our best players?
confused.com
Not today he isnt
CTFC03
Our final third play is terrible, we're absolutely fine everywhere else. The Newport goal looked a worldy.
robinsrule
We are just light up front. Played some decent football but too many floaty crosses. Eisa was anonymous and constantly outmuscled but showed why he is on the pitch with his goal.
Robin
Delivery into the box was the problem, Eisa should have scored more than he did but he's our best striker by a country mile. Dawson and Moore were very poor today.
theidlerich
Must admit I really enjoyed the game; Eisa missed on two mins, should have scored; as Dawson on 5. Both clear only goalie to beat. However decent moves to get into that position so early on in the game. After that Newport came more into it; then continual cut and thrust throughout. If I correctly call the turkey wishbone correctly – it would be a Nouble for CTFC heading the wish-list; strong, skilful and surprisingly quick for his bulk….if only. Graham at least got to a few headers, but largely unproductive. DW merely got in Eisa’s way when he let loose a decent shot goal wards. Can’t argue with the MoM Flinders, well deserved. Sellars better second half but still too selfish when a simple pass might result in a better opportunity. Thought Eisa’s goal was class. Unlike a few on here thought Moore was ok dealing with Nouble et all; got skinned a couple of times as did most others. Dawson and Morrell less productive than normal. Passing far too random at times, no-one seems to 'see' other players or feed into space. We do need a decent corner/freekick “expert”; currently too airy and slow; needs to be whipped in smartish! Ref ok too; less so the T&B side lino!
Robin
Atangana man of the match for me, he was immense and breaks up play so well, great save by Flinders in the second half though.
Oldun
Agree re the big man! Apart from one piece of poor control near end Nige was great. One touch passing throughout, makes the game look easy.
Given we get left back next week GJ will then have difficult decisions to make. Harry, Nige, Joe, and Winnie to put in mid field. Mo and A N Other up front plus back four of Taylor, Boylo, Manny and New Guy.
Or does Winnie go to right back to make room for Daws? Taylor didn't have his best game but people on here harsh on Daws I suspect.
My midfield looks strong and competitive.
Still the top seven beckons.........
Robin
I wonder if we will go to 3-5-2 after today, it worked well and it allows Manny, Boyle, Moore to play at the back and Winnie/Dawson to play right wing back. Plus the added advantage of an extra slot in midfield for Morrell, Pell and Atangana.
GroundhoppingFC
I'll have to say, that was an exciting game for me as a neutral.
I run a YouTube channel that is based around Groundhopping, and I made a video on today's game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgg5yml ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would love to receive some feedback, so tell me your thoughts on my video!
CTFC03
What I like about Nigel is if he loses the ball he either wins it back quickly or manages to slow the attack down, he's quality and I think he's clever on the ball even if he only does the short pass.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I wonder if we will go to 3-5-2 after today, it worked well and it allows Manny, Boyle, Moore to play at the back and Winnie/Dawson to play right wing back. Plus the added advantage of an extra slot in midfield for Morrell, Pell and Atangana.
Been a good few months since you last mentioned the Dawson at right wing back nonsense!
confused.com
every game, i hope we have seen the last of Taylor launcing it into teh box from 35 yards. Very noticable how this never happens from the left hand side. They more often than not come to nothing. As far as their first goal goes, good ball and good hesder. However, can't work out why he was standing there on his own, apart from the fact Taylor and Dawson had just managed to screw up a simple pass just outside their area.
dawson taking corners, should stop. they are pitiful.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:I wonder if we will go to 3-5-2 after today, it worked well and it allows Manny, Boyle, Moore to play at the back and Winnie/Dawson to play right wing back. Plus the added advantage of an extra slot in midfield for Morrell, Pell and Atangana.
Been a good few months since you last mentioned the Dawson at right wing back nonsense!
He played right wing back for the second have today actually.
confused.com
Robin wrote:
Oh is that what he was attempting to do. Glad someone has some sort of explanation
Oldun
I was wondering who the 2018 "Victim of the Nest" would be. Looks like Daws is high up on the list for the New Year Honour. Or will be it be Taylor? Perhaps the Nest could change its rules and allow us Happy Nesters to have two players to attack on a daily basis on here.
By the way rules at present state that it can only be one player and one from the management team at any one time. Thought that needed explaining in case any Nester tried to squeeze square peg into round hole in the victimization stakes.
Happy New Year All!
confused.com
Oldun, despite your name, you really should grow up.

This is on the thread concerning yesterdays match.

Can you honestly say either of them met the desired standard yesterday ? Tell me which players put on a worse display? waiting to hear

You need to get over your man love, really do
Oldun
Apart from his brilliant goal saving clearance Taylor was not at his best though he could of course been carrying out instructions to send hopeful long diagonal crosses into the box...(cue more criticism for management for suggesting such a ridiculous notion). Daws worked his socks off for 90 minutes, but agree he too was at at his best.
Whole scale slating though unacceptable.
In your post delete word "love" and insert "positivity"! Does such a word exist in your vocabulary I wonder?
confused.com
Oldun wrote:Apart from his brilliant goal saving clearance Taylor was not at his best though he could of course been carrying out instructions to send hopeful long diagonal crosses into the box...(cue more criticism for management for suggesting such a ridiculous notion). Daws worked his socks off for 90 minutes, but agree he too was at at his best.
Whole scale slating though unacceptable.
In your post delete word "love" and insert "positivity"! Does such a word exist in your vocabulary I wonder?
So there you have it, we both agree who the two worst players were, was that so hard to say those two were not as good as the others ? Will teh club fall apart now you have said it ?

I don't believe i ever said it was Taylor taking it upon himself. I just pointed out it comes to nothins and the same is very very seldom seen on the left flank. You make of that whay you may. Maybe GJ realises thats the best option on teh right hand side. How do I know
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
And was poor by all accounts. Hopefully won’t be repeated. And 3-5-2 hopefully not repeated either.
Rick
Robin wrote:Atangana man of the match for me, he was immense and breaks up play so well, great save by Flinders in the second half though.
Agree Robin. He was superb
Rick
Oldun wrote:Agree re the big man! Apart from one piece of poor control near end Nige was great. One touch passing throughout, makes the game look easy.
Given we get left back next week GJ will then have difficult decisions to make. Harry, Nige, Joe, and Winnie to put in mid field. Mo and A N Other up front plus back four of Taylor, Boylo, Manny and New Guy.
Or does Winnie go to right back to make room for Daws? Taylor didn't have his best game but people on here harsh on Daws I suspect.
My midfield looks strong and competitive.
Still the top seven beckons.........
Agree on most. Sees the game as i saw it. Not sure on top seven though. Build up play is great the final third is were we seem to fail.
Robin
RCS we actually improved dramatically when we went to 5-3-2 as Moore was less exposed, Dawson probably had his worst game in a CTFC shirt and that started well before he played right wing back however you can see Winchester is far superior player in that position.
confused.com
Winchester is like a Rolls Royce in that team. Always seems to have time. Never panics. how he does not get motm every other week God knows