Sums up the season: mid table average

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1-1 at home against a team who aren’t great. Got mid table written all over it.

Be nice to see the January signings bed in and youngsters like Mo, Sellars and Grimes continue to develop. Apart from that let’s look forward to a more exciting season in 2018/19.
darreno
If we had a team full of Eisas, and Winchester's, and Flinders we'd be a very decent team, but we don't so we're not.
Player2 Has Joined
Very entertaining game today, I thought. Pity we couldn't sneak a win, but can't fault anyone for effort.
CTFC03
They weren't a poor side by all means but our crossing/decision making is awful at times.
art vandalay
This season will only be disappointing to those who had unrealistic expectations of the play-offs or think we have a divine right to 3 points every time we play a team in the bottom half.

We've improved noticeably on last season, the players are giving 100% and yet we've had to contend with more serious injuries than you might expect. We didn't make the best of starts but GJ quickly corrected most of the deficiencies and most games have been pretty close and enjoyable. Hopefully a couple of additions in January will keep us moving in the right direction.
Rulistening
I just want to sign someone who knows what to do for a set piece.. ive never seen a team struggle as much as we do. We must score around 1 in 10,000
robinsrule
Agree about the set pieces. We need to whip the ball in more. At one point we had a chance to cross from the right and the ball was lofted in to Wright was was all alone, surrounded by four defenders. It was just a desperate ball. But as others have said I can't fault the effort of any of our players and a draw was a fair result.
Robin
Newport are big powerful and effective, one of the better sides to come here to be honest, a slightly less effective version of Lincoln. We have the nucleas of a decent team but no cover when people are playing badly (Taylor Moore and Dawson especially today) or help for Eisa (imagine if we could have signed Nouble instead of Newport).
swellingsdownbelow
As Art Vandalay has pointed out today.......get real folks......we are what we are........a mid table side with a below average home crowd (compare the other home attendances today, and that was with a following of 90% in the away end, which as usual out noised our home fans).

When might we learn that for the sake of greater atmosphere we change ends and move the home fans into the Whaddon Road End ( even if it it means removing the seats and making it a standing area).

In the 2nd half we more than bossed the game and with a bit of luck could have sneaked it......can’t fault effort, just we are what we are..
Robin
Nobody (who is realistic) disputes mid-table league two is about our level but then you see smaller clubs like Newport and Accrington challenging and I feel it's fair to ask why not us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Nobody (who is realistic) disputes mid-table league two is about our level but then you see smaller clubs like Newport and Exeter challenging and I feel it's fair to ask why not us.
Settled sides and experienced strikers. If we can keep the core of the side for a few years rather than changing the squad every summer we will be able to compete more.
Robin
Agree about settled team need to build and tone the nucleus of this group not constant major changes.
Artemis
Then you also see larger clubs struggling. It's also reasonable to be thankful that it's not us.
That in a nutshell is why we bother playing - if clubs finished according to their size (however you calculate that) then it would be a mighty dull season
Robin
The reality is this is a league that pretty much anyone can find themselves struggling or challenging, if this season we can sneak into the top half and build a team for a more sustained play off challenge next season then I'll be content.
robinsrule
Yes, for someone like Nouble up front.... strong and pacey!

Also wish we had the seats behind the other goal. As well as having better acoustics the prevailing wind comes from that direction. Newport were loud when they all sang together.
CTFC03
Nouble was quality, that turn he did on 2 of our own players in the first half in the box was something else.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Nobody (who is realistic) disputes mid-table league two is about our level but then you see smaller clubs like Newport and Accrington challenging and I feel it's fair to ask why not us.
I don't think Newport are a smaller club than us, especially when you look at their away following. Their home attendances are larger than ours too.
Robin
They had a decent following today because they are having their best season in years and chasing promotion. Our attendances are higher over the last twenty years.
Artemis
Yes, of course they are higher over the last 20 years. Newport spent quite a bit of that time playing in the depths of non league. Our crowds were hardly stellar in the southern league or conference. In fact they're distinctly below average in the EFL. And for a club that doesn't have a sugar daddy and relies almost solely on gate money, that should mean a below mid table finish
Jerry St Clair
The surest measure of a club having a bog average season is supporters resorting to quibbling over attendances to settle petty arguments about who is/isn’t a bigger club.

It really is extraordinarily tedious.
confused.com
Jerry St Clair wrote:The surest measure of a club having a bog average season is supporters resorting to quibbling over attendances to settle petty arguments about who is/isn’t a bigger club.

It really is extraordinarily tedious.
lol fair point
Lord Elpuz
Robin wrote:Newport are big powerful and effective, one of the better sides to come here to be honest, a slightly less effective version of Lincoln. We have the nucleas of a decent team but no cover when people are playing badly (Taylor Moore and Dawson especially today) or help for Eisa (imagine if we could have signed Nouble instead of Newport).
I agree with this view.

Last season CTFC would have fallen apart against a physical side like Newport. GJ’s main objective during his previous player recruitment was to prevent the team being bullied. First objective was therefore achieved.

We have a number of players carrying knocks in addition to those out injured and Christmas/New Year is punishing football schedule when injuries are taking their toll. We are not hearing excuses from anyone at the Club, but we are seeing players trying to give their all and we must stay with them. They don’t deserve the back biting from the vipers ‘Nest’.
Oldun
Well said my Lord! And on the same subject, anyone know what is the matter with Harry and if he will be back for tomorrow or Saturday. Won't need him quite so desperately on Sat as we will have new players in by then (hopefully!)
Any word on the new left back yet?
Artemis
So I argue that a big average season is a relief from the trauma of the last few seasons, interspersed with the ecstacy of winning the National League.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:So I argue that a big average season is a relief from the trauma of the last few seasons, interspersed with the ecstacy of winning the National League.
Very true. Consolidation a good base to build from in future years.
Robin
Artemis wrote:So I argue that a big average season is a relief from the trauma of the last few seasons, interspersed with the ecstacy of winning the National League.
It's frustrating but one season of mid-table consolidation when three of the four previous seasons have been terrible isn't necessarilly a bad thing so long as we build upon it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I said the same thing yesterday. If GJ can keep flinders, Boyle, pell, nige, Winnie, daws and mo and then add any more quality in defence and attack we’ll be a very good team next season.

It was a great second half yesterday wasn’t it? Haven’t enjoyed a half of football so much in ages
Onwards and upwards. Be great to see a core of players growing and developing over the next year or two. We need some new cult heroes.