Stevenage v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/StevenageNYD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Classic line up. Two tough men in the middle. Nige to drive forward of the two.

Attackers on the flanks, and our two best strikers up front.

Winchester needs to get forward as Morrell drops inside.

Aside from Cranners, Pell and Forster that is our best eleven imo.

Weak bench however shows the paucity of our decimated squad.

Plus, I always think the Lamex Stadium sounds like a really bad version of Brighton’s ground.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
2018 only two mins old and MOOOOOOOOOOO!

Assist by Graham. Such a difference when he is fit.
confused.com
Hope he can do it. Would take the shine off FGR imploding if we don't at least get a draw
Rulistening
3-1 now so i imagine this game is over. Slips us down in the table and a gap is starting to appear now between us and a few other teams. Lets get those January signings through the door and get us up the table again
confused.com
Same old story. Getting pi55ed off with this trait
Rulistening
Apparently Bower is coming on..? 3-1 down so we look to another CB.. I just don't understand Gary at times.

EDIT: George lloyd coming on also. Now thats good to see, hopefully he can show what he's got in the league and be an impact sub or even force his way into the lineup
Alf
We are now 3-1 down to a very average team. We are poor at the back. Their second goal was farcical. If you’re defending and not sure what’s happening around you ffs just play safe and put your foot through the ball. Two weeks running we’ve conceded eminently avoidable goals.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:Apparently Bower is coming on..? 3-1 down so we look to another CB.. I just don't understand Gary at times.

EDIT: George lloyd coming on also. Now thats good to see, hopefully he can show what he's got in the league and be an impact sub or even force his way into the lineup
Game over, season over, so makes sense to give the kids a run out. Rest tired legs.
confused.com
And to think the critics of Manny quote his safety first as a weakness
confused.com
You didn't read too much then. Couple of teams go on a run below us and we will be needing our Jan intake to make a difference
Alf
This is now embarrassing. We were a goal up against a very average side, that should have settled us down and given us confidence. 4-1? A bloody disgrace. We’re not even reaching the effort of a pre season friendly. A totally unacceptable performance at any level.
Ralph
Yep pretty poor performance today. Looks like the season is winding down. Oh well, FGR lost again so thats ok
Rulistening
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Rulistening wrote:Apparently Bower is coming on..? 3-1 down so we look to another CB.. I just don't understand Gary at times.

Game over, season over, so makes sense to give the kids a run out. Rest tired legs.
Mm sadly if away results dont pick up ill have to agree with you when it comes to saying the season is over. Guess now just getting the magic 50 points is the aim ASAP and just wait until next year..

Never expected promotion (of course) or playoffs but this has been disappointing, especially with some of the players we managed to sign.
Robin
That is unacceptable, what happened? I listened to first fifteen minutes and we were all over them then I check back and see we are 3-1 down and it finishes 4-1 this is bloody Stevenage for godsake that's a disgraceful result.
Nesty

I have not understood Gary since we have been back in the league, this season probably the worst for squad shape/formation, no full backs, square pegs etc etc.
Benctfc
Losing 4-1 to one of the most out of form teams in the league is pathetic even for us. The worrying thing is it isn't even a surprise this has been the norm under Johnson in away games since back in the league. I don't expect us to be a free flowing football side in the top 3 but the least I expect is some backbone but too often we don't show it.

Time for some pressure to be put on GJ as this is becoming a common theme. I'm not calling for him to be sacked but he isn't untouchable and a couple more bad results could force the board to consider their options.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Draw a line, get signings in and move on. Home games key.
Oldun
Absolutely RCS! May I suggest we have a look at the injury list before being too critical of the team. No chance to rest the weary after the three games in a short time; no Pell, Forster, Jerrell, Cranners who would all be in the 18.

Of course its a dreadful result, but four at least of the team today would not have started if the others had been fit
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Yeovil result was much more galling. In a mid table season, home wins to entertain the fans is the most important thing. Followed by bedding in new signings and bringing through youth. Great to see the two kids get game time today once the pressure was off.
Robin
Oldun wrote:Absolutely RCS! May I suggest we have a look at the injury list before being too critical of the team. No chance to rest the weary after the three games in a short time; no Pell, Forster, Jerrell, Cranners who would all be in the 18.

Of course its a dreadful result, but four at least of the team today would not have started if the others had been fit
Out of curiousity which ones Oldun? I'd say that's close to our strongest 11 other than Pell, Cranston and Foster.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Oldun wrote:Absolutely RCS! May I suggest we have a look at the injury list before being too critical of the team. No chance to rest the weary after the three games in a short time; no Pell, Forster, Jerrell, Cranners who would all be in the 18.

Out of curiousity which ones Oldun? I'd say that's close to our strongest 11 other than Pell, Cranston and Foster.
Pell in for Storer.

Forster for Grimes or Boyle.

Cranners in for Grimes or Boyle (Moore to CB and Winchester to RB)

If Sellars comes in then probably for Nige, to move Morrell into the middle.

And what about Gordon?

Of course Manny could be CB, with Moore at RB and Winchester in midfield or wing. When everyone is fit, picking an eleven is tough. At the moment, finding eleven is tough!
Ralph
We're losing too many games to teams that we should be getting something out of. Between them, Yeovil and Stevenage scored 6 and we got 1. That is poor. I like GJ a lot, but he needs to step it up or we best look for a new mgr this off season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:We're losing too many games to teams that we should be getting something out of. Between them, Yeovil and Stevenage scored 6 and we got 1. That is poor. I like GJ a lot, but he needs to step it up or we best look for a new mgr this off season
Yeah, Yeovil was a disgusting result for sure.
Robin
That's the most annoying thing being beaten by sides like Yeovil and Stevenage, of course it will happen sometimes but it's happening way too often especially away from home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:That's the most annoying thing being beaten by sides like Yeovil and Stevenage, of course it will happen sometimes but it's happening way too often especially away from home.
Mid table for you. If it didn’t happen we’d be in the play offs. If you accept we are mid table, you have to accept the defeats which come with it - especially away from home.

Hopefully the next home performance is decent.
confused.com

You may be right, don't know. However you talk as if we are playing the oppositions first 11 pick every week.

I would have thought all teams have injuries at this stage of the season?

We can't use injuries as excuses every week. Unless of course you are right and we are the only team with injuries and we are just unlicky to be meeting full strength teams every week (?)
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:We're losing too many games to teams that we should be getting something out of. Between them, Yeovil and Stevenage scored 6 and we got 1. That is poor. I like GJ a lot, but he needs to step it up or we best look for a new mgr this off season
Yeah, Yeovil was a disgusting result for sure.
What does that make the Boro result then?
everyman

I`m sick of this Oh dear we have injuries,what happened to, this gives a a chance for others to state their claim.If we don`t have a squad who`s to blame,the manager ?
confused.com
everyman wrote:

I`m sick of this Oh dear we have injuries,what happened to, this gives a a chance for others to state their claim.If we don`t have a squad who`s to blame,the manager ?
How very dare you. NO
Don't you understand that all other L2 teams are playing with a fit full squad ????
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:

Well how many players do you want in the squad?

If the manager puts together a good squad of 22 players, and then 6 or 7 get injured, you can’t then blame the manager for only having 15 or 16 fit.

But yes, it is not an excuse and all clubs face the same issue. Gary is responsible for lack of RBs and LBs signed in the summer of course. Let us see if he can fix it during this window.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Good question Everyman. Who do we blame indeed?

The presupposition being that someone is to blame. Which is, frankly, ridiculous.

The modern day fan expects wins each week, surrounded by good football. If they don’t get it they choose to find someone to blame.

I grew up supporting my team. If we lost I was pissed off but I accepted it as part of life. That has stood me in good stead as an adult. I now coach under 9’s. If they lose do I say - ‘Who do we blame for that?’ Of course not, to do so would show myself an intellectual Pygmy and an immature imbecile.

Now we have the over-entitled morons wanting to BLAME someone different each week. Cranston, flatt, grimes, Johnson. Predictable at clockwork

Blame culture helps no one, whether sport of business.
Leave it out
Oldun
Excellent post from Ben 2! However I cannot for the life of me see that the injuries have not impacted on the results this season, and not being in able to sign 30 players of League two standard is hardly the manager's fault.
Also,for what it's worth, BBC Radio Glos made the point this afternoon that we are getting no luck whatsoever at the moment, and that is absolutely the case. Several around us on Sat commented that nothing falls for us in the box; we hit the woodwork, we have shots kicked off the line etc etc. Hopefully that will soon change.
confused.com
our injuries impact us the exact same as other teams impact them. That is the point> we are not playing other full strength teams week in week out. As for 'bad luck'. Hitting the post or bar is just another off target shot. Closer yes, but off target. That is not bad luck.

beat 4-1 because we got no luck ?
Alf
everyman wrote:

Was just thinking the same after reading some comments. Are we saying we have a wonderful starting eleven and everyone else is not up to their standard? If that is the case then there is something seriously wrong with our set up. I saw players today turning their backs on 50/50 challenges. Unacceptable. Gary said the other week that he wanted inspiration from the Bristol City v Man Utd game. Difference is City players ran their balls off for 90 mins closing the opposition down and getting in where it hurts. Didn’t see too much of that today. Fact is, we cannot keep rebuilding the team every six months. I know our financial situation doesn’t make life easy but what is happening isn’t encouraging for the supporters.