Robin Shroot

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Some interesting views here: http://bit.ly/NashvilleSC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leohoenig
Shroot's new club have yet to play a match - their first pre-season friendly is o February 10
However, they know they will be "promoted", they just do not know when
They were awared an MLS Franchise in the recent expansion announcement - this could happen for 2020, but it is not confirmed!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wonder what boardroom politics he is talking about.
paperboy
Jon Palmer wrote:Some interesting views here: http://bit.ly/NashvilleSC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..thanks Jon. Yes an interesting read.
Robin
I had completely forgotten about Robin Shroot playing for us until reading this article.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Loved Shrooty. Up there with Lawson D'Ath in terms of players I wished we signed.
longmover
“I was staying in the Midland Hotel next to the station, which was £20 a night and very basic accommodation.

:shock: :shock:

Is that the best the club could offer?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:“I was staying in the Midland Hotel next to the station, which was £20 a night and very basic accommodation.

:shock: :shock:

Is that the best the club could offer?
Probably, we are not a wealthy club.
longmover
That situation is prime example off how disconnected the club are from he rest off Cheltenham, I would like to think some of the more prestigious hotels in Chelt would have some business links with the club so as players in this situation did not have to stay at complete tips like the Midland, very amateur indeed and shows how far away the club are from other businesses not already connected to the club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:That situation is prime example off how disconnected the club are from he rest off Cheltenham, I would like to think some of the more prestigious hotels in Chelt would have some business links with the club so as players in this situation did not have to stay at complete tips like the Midland, very amateur indeed and shows how far away the club are from other businesses not already connected to the club.
PB probably had no room left in his house with other loans living there.

Thing is, the football season takes in October lit fest and March racing fest. It would take a generous hotel to turn down guaranteed top whack full occupancy to put up a footballer for cheap during those times. For all we know Shroot was only in the Midland for a few days/weeks rather than months on end.

And with house prices and shortages as they are, the same applies there apart from property the club/Board own.

Just reality of being a low budget side in an expensive area with a low catchment area of players. If we were in the North West for example, there will be hundreds of players like Shroot who can join on loan and live at home/with family. Unfortunately where we are located there is not a pool of hundreds of players so nearly every signing will have to relocate, and we are one of the most expensive areas in Britain to relocate to. So it is harder to recruit players and when we do situations like the Midlands Hotel may well happen from time to time.
longmover
Come on £20 a night at the Midland, really?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Come on £20 a night at the Midland, really?
Not saying it is right, reasonable or acceptable, just providing potential business and economic reasons behind it.

Assuming 5 nights is £100 a week. So if in there for ten weeks that's £1,000 before any food or travel expenses. Could easily be several thousands before any loan fees or wages paid.

A year or so after this forum vilified Martin Allen for racking up too many accommodation costs for loan and short term signings, of course.
longmover
Fair point but I would have liked to believe the club would have links with a few half decent 'go to' hotels for this.