Defender on way to National League

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Latest here: http://bit.ly/DefenderOff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
Jon Palmer wrote:Latest here: http://bit.ly/DefenderOff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any money coming our way ? Have we paid off his contract ? Great Business plan this
Shade
He was a player that came in on a small wage, didn't make the grade and has been let go to join another team. There's no need to get stroppy about it.
confused.com
Shade wrote:He was a player that came in on a small wage, didn't make the grade and has been let go to join another team. There's no need to get stroppy about it.
asking a couple of questions is getting stroppy ? okie

btw wasn't aware how much he was getting paid.
paperboy
.....after shaking hands and accepting Torquay's offer evidently.

More details here.

https://www.torquayunited.com/news-dave ... act-offer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems that he was only on a short term contract with us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Some may sarcastically and critically comment on the business plan to have a gripe at the manager, others may say that's football and move on.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Some may sarcastically and critically comment on the business plan to have a gripe at the manager, others may say that's football and move on.
You oldun in disguise?
I make my comments in ignorance of facts others are prive too and judge my comment against this backdrop
horlickfanclub
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2017/septembe ... vey-signs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the original main site post when all was rosy. Whatever happened after that is top secret . Confused makes a fair point but as is common here the bullies come out to put words in his mouth. Maybe this Forum is not for discussing player movements of interest after all. A lot of fans seem puzzled by some of our signings but seem to avoid public slagging off. Hopefully you can ignore it Confused. You will get some respite while they have a go at me.

According to one website he is contracted until 30/06/18 with CTFC.
Oldun
No here's the real Oldun alive and well! And I fully agree with sentiments of RCS!
However hardly surprised at what I read! Why would the moaners miss an opportunity to have a go at St Gary et al? Too good a chance to miss!
confused.com
Oldun wrote:No here's the real Oldun alive and well! And I fully agree with sentiments of RCS!
However hardly surprised at what I read! Why would the moaners miss an opportunity to have a go at St Gary et al? Too good a chance to miss!
Good to hear!! Would hate to think your criticism of the players listed was going to have any impact with your love in. Once again more than happy to be judged, as unlike yourself I have no idea what portion of his wages was being paid while he was on loan.
Ralph
confused.com wrote:
Shade wrote:He was a player that came in on a small wage, didn't make the grade and has been let go to join another team. There's no need to get stroppy about it.
asking a couple of questions is getting stroppy ? okie

btw wasn't aware how much he was getting paid.
i think it was referring to your comment about it being a great business plan, which it is. Not performing so get him off books
confused.com
Was simply asking how much it cost us? Or is that concept of business to hard to grasp on here.
Some seem to know
How much he was getting paid
How much of his wage Torquay was paying
So thought it quite legitimate to ask, as he was still on contract
Did we get any money for him
Did we pay off his contract
Are we just writing it down to money down the drain but that's football'?
Jaysus you would think I was asking fore someone's execution.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Your 'great business plan this' remark read very much like a snarky comment and not a question. As for your questions about finances, I ask the same myself and would love to know the answers as much as you do!
confused.com
Amazing that in a cash strapped club, people don't really care where money is being wasted or why it is being wasted. After all its just football. What else do you expect. Some kind of due diligence, that you don't trial a player then...... offer him a contract then..... no matter how threadbare the team don't use him. Then.... move him on in January. No, you are right shade, RCS and oldun and Ralph. Why bother asking about money. We have loads of it and you 4 have all the facts at your fingers. Bet you even see his pay slip
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Amazing that in a cash strapped club, people don't really care where money is being wasted or why it is being wasted. After all its just football. What else do you expect. Some kind of due diligence, that you don't trial a player then...... offer him a contract then..... no matter how threadbare the team don't use him. Then.... move him on in January. No, you are right shade, RCS and oldun and Ralph. Why bother asking about money. We have loads of it and you 4 have all the facts at your fingers. Bet you even see his pay slip
I literally just said I have the same questions and would like to know the same answers as you re: finances and what, if anything, this has cost the club.

(Without such knowledge I am not going to make snarky critical comments about 'what a great business plan'!)
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 04 Jan 2018, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Your 'great business plan this' remark read very much like a snarky comment and not a question. As for your questions about finances, I ask the same myself and would love to know the answers as much as you do!
Well please explain how it could even slightly be seen as a good business plan???
Total waste of money, by those who put him through trials, gave him a contract then within days dumped him. Glad I am not waiting on a dividend from a business run like that
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Your 'great business plan this' remark read very much like a snarky comment and not a question. As for your questions about finances, I ask the same myself and would love to know the answers as much as you do!
Well please explain how it could even slightly be seen as a good business plan???
Total waste of money, by those who put him through trials, gave him a contract then within days dumped him. Glad I am not waiting on a dividend from a business run like that
Can't explain whether it was or not without answers to the financial questions you rightly posed yourself.

I won't be waiting for dividends from any football club. For every Eisa, their is a Davey. That's how lower league football works. Some trials and risky signings pay off, some don't.

Just hope in the long term the ones that do more than compensate. If we sell Eisa for £500k then between him and Davey, two unknown trials, we would make a return on the investment. But a big IF.

Who knows if and what Davey cost us.
Nesty
isnt this "old" news, as was signing Manny?
Nham68
I don’t think we’re any different to other lower league clubs. Or business for that matter. Hiring has an element of risk in any industry . The best CV’s and track record is only one indicator ..doesn’t guarantee success. I’ve got a team of nearly 100. to build a team of high performers you have to take risk sometimes. Some work, some don’t .A leader is/should all the time (in a competitive industry or sport) be looking to move great talent in , managing serial non/low performers out .. within a budget, Always looking to average the team up.. our manager is doing exactly this.
confused.com
I would be questioning the interview and recruitment skills of any of my managers, who hired someone who was immediately seen as not fit for purpose.
Would certainly have him in to explain what went wrong and what he had put in place to make sure it didn’t happen again.
Unlike the work place, Mr Davey couldn’t be served with a months’ notice. Therefore had a manager landed me with a year’s wages for someone that was immediately seen as not fit for purpose. It would be a long time before time he would be involved in the recruitment process again.
I think the word ‘serial’ in your argument, is where the logic falls apart when applied to this scenario. Unless of course you know otherwise and he was a serial, low or non performer.
Anyway, had enough debating on the forum. It seems that logic has to be thrown out the window. And there is a need to defend every other word you utter (if it goes against the populist viewpoint)
asl
confused.com wrote:I would be questioning the interview and recruitment skills of any of my managers, who hired someone who was immediately seen as not fit for purpose.
Jennings is on that list. Several others, too, unfortunately.
Oldun
What I find unbelievable and unacceptable is that you are condemning of GJ on his lack of business acumen and then you go on to say that you do not know the details of what has happened. You don't know how much it has cost; how much Torquay have contributed, if anything or if all of it. You don't know if he got him deliberately to loan so he could weigh him up etc etc etc Better to keep your mouth shut, (or your keyboard closed) rather than make a complete idiot of yourself!
As said many times by many others on here it is just another stick with which to beat GJ and when done in ignorance it is pitiful.
The DOS situation is the same. Most of us do not know what happened with DOS and rather than trust GJ and his team there is an opportunity to wade in and so you do!
Pitiful is an excellent word to describe it!
Robin
Strange number of comments on this one, my view as follows:
- Davey was almost certainly signed as cover and would have been towards the lower end of the pay scale.
- Even still I doubt Torquay could afford to pay all of his wages so likely we went out of pocket to an extent.
- I suspect there was a falling out behind the scenes which led to the loan but GJ took the view any money saved was more money for the 2nd half of the season.

The fact that the lad has dropped down to Boreham Wood more than suggests he's not ready to be a starter for us and was fourth maybe fifth choice centre half regardless.
confused.com
Oldun

What a complete @ss you are

Quite happy to say I don’t know how much it has cost. That is exactly what I was asking. You of course, do know how much Torquay were contributing to his wages, as you have often said it was costing us nothing. To back up your position, give us the facts , otherwise - pitiful.

Pray tell me where I even mentioned GJ, where I attacked him ? I questioned the logic. Asked for the facts upon which to form an opinion. Are the thought police telling me I am not allowed to do this ? – pitiful.

What you seem devastatingly unable to do, is differentiate between discussion backed up by reason and explanation. And what your prefer to do , ramble like an illiterate sycophantic poodle. Here is a tip, when you do actually write something, go over it again and see where you are making no sense and indeed contradicting what you say in other posts

Wow, this logic even defies your lack of thought process. We give someone a contract, pay his wages, with the deliberate intent of putting him out on loan. Without knowing if that loan will pay any of his wages (forgot, you do know the figures involved). That must call into question a) our scouting policy and b) our trials – that argument could only come from an someone who has lost the grasp of reality. I can imagine the conversation “Ok with have watched him, given him a trial, but still haven’t a clue if he would be any use….. oh I know, OK so we haven’t got much cash to splash around and the squad is pretty thin as it is, to say the least. But why don’t we give him a year’s contract, see if we can get somebody to pick up his wages on a loan asap and see how it goes ?” “what’s that you say, what if he is no good? Told you, don’t worry, we have the cash to waste, we can either try and sell him, buy out his contract or offer him a sweetener to leave. The mugs won’t even question it” – pitiful

DO’S – for someone who doesn’t know what happened, you were very quick to stick the boot into him once he was listed. Gushing all over the team, telling us all it is great to have hindsight ad nauseum, until GJ lists them and out you come with your synopsis of where they were going wrong all this time – pitiful

I indeed argued that I would keep DO’S, just my opinion and I explained why. How that can be construed to ‘wade in’ to GJ and his team, is difficult to comprehend. But as in most things, you like to throw facts, logic and what was actually said, out the window.

A stick to beat GJ and done in ignorance. If I was not in ignorance, I wouldn’t have asked the questions in the first place. What part of that do you find so hard to comprehend ?

The many (?) others you refer to, must, as I have openly admitted, be in possession of more detail than I am. i.e. they know how much he takes home every week, and like yourself, know how much of his wage was being picked up by Torquay. Know if we had paid a resettlement package and if so is he paying that back or portion of it. All part of a well-run business.

So glad you gave me the opportunity in my last post, to differentiate those that can put forward a point of view and explain the rationale behind that point of view. As opposed to those (yes that includes you), that couldn’t put a logical thought together in one sentence, if their life depended on it. Sometimes, I liked to give you the benefit of the doubt, in that you start off your sentences with a point to them and some logic applied and that you just lose the way along the journey. However, I realised that it happened all the time, so it just couldn’t be put down to coincidence.

Finally, I must say thank you ! You make a good few of us posters on here sound like Stephen Hawkins and that is some feat !!

Time for you to get that nose back to where it is meant to be and say ‘yes sir’. But please do feel free to argue against anything I have written, but only if you can apply logical thinking and reasoning to it. Otherwise, please don’t – thank you
Oldun
My pleasure!
Rulistening
Least he's off the books but what a silly signing it was.. I also doubt he's on much money but Adam Page is the biggest waste of money the club owns. 3 years he's done absolutely nothing for us and we just keep loaning him out. Yet he keeps getting new deals...??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
"Pray tell me where I even mentioned GJ, where I attacked him ? I questioned the logic."

I agree and disagree. Perfectly right and expected for any fan to question the logic and finances of the Davey situation. Where the initial response saying you have had a dig at Gary and the club was merely focussing on your sarcastic snarky "good business plan this" you added in addition to the good questions we all want answered. A sniping remark called out has led to this sorry thread. I can't see any way how that remark can be viewed as anything but a dig, which was the original point.

As for questioning the logic and finances, I think everyone on here thinks the same as you and would like to know those answers.
Robin
Isn't Adam Page like twenty years old? He's had some bad injuries over that period too, seems very harsh criticism of a 2nd year pro.
Shade
Wow, this snowballed quickly. Davey was brought in as cover, wasn't he? At a time when we just didn't have many CB's and he was a free agent so he could be signed. Pretty sure we could have called him back from Torquay whenever we wanted.
asl
Shade wrote:Wow, this snowballed quickly.
You should see the Facebook thread on this news... Some bloke accusing PB of pocketing all the proceeds of the big games and not reinvesting it in the team.
Shade
That's it, social media should be completely banned. It's doing more harm than good.
Artemis
Hang on, that'll be PB, the man who has put into the black hole that is a lower league football hundreds of thousands if not 7 figure sum, not to mention his free time as a labour of love. He'll never see all that money again. It seems entirely wrong to begrudge him taking some of any windfalls out.
asl
Yea, nothing new. It wasn't too long ago that I was hearing "where did all the money from the FA Cup run go...? In Baker's back pocket, that's where..."
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:That's it, social media should be completely banned. It's doing more harm than good.
Saw this morning Zuckerberg has pledged to "fix" Facebook. The slanderous accusations against PB must have been the final straw.
everyman
Robin wrote:Isn't Adam Page like twenty years old? He's had some bad injuries over that period too, seems very harsh criticism of a 2nd year pro.
Adam Page is in fact 20 years old,not like twenty years old.(pedant reaction).