Father and son double?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

Has there ever been a season where father and son have both managed different teams to promotion?

Unlikely to happen for us this season, but if City miss out this term then the Johnsons could do the double next season! Both with the Robins to boot.

Would they be the first or has it been done?

(Makes a change from my childhood when talking about Cheltenham and the Johnsons was quite a different topic!)
Robin
Lee Johnson has done a fantastic job, would not surprise me at all if a bigger club comes in for him at some stage.
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

Has there ever been a season where father and son have both managed different teams to promotion?

Unlikely to happen for us this season, but if City miss out this term then the Johnsons could do the double next season! Both with the Robins to boot.

(Makes a change from my childhood when talking about Cheltenham and the Johnsons was quite a different topic!)
...."Cheltenham and the notorious Johnsons was quite a different topic!!! Is that who you mean?
Nesty
I really do not think it is fair to discuss notorious Cheltenham families on here -
Shade
Robin wrote:Lee Johnson has done a fantastic job, would not surprise me at all if a bigger club comes in for him at some stage.
Like who? Premier League clubs don't bring in English managers unless they've already had a team promoted to the PL or worked at a high profile club outside of England. The only possibility I could think of would be if Dyche got a bigger job and they then hired Johnson, but I can't see either of those happening in reality. PL clubs much happier to try foreign managers with no English experience, like Leonid Slutsky and Andre Villas-Boas.
Robin
Bristol City are still a small fish at Championship level so bigger clubs at that level like Norwich for example and lower prem clubs like Stoke, Swansea, West Brom etc (assuming any of them stay up may take a chance).
Shade
Norwich's ground is 244 seats bigger than Ashton Gate. Norwich have had a lot more time in higher divisions, of course, but I certainly wouldn't say they're bigger at the moment with the revolution going on there. There is massive potential at Bristol City - if they make it to the PL then they will be the only club in the South West in the top flight. And, as I said, I can't see any side that is currently in the PL, be it Swansea, Stoke or West Brom, taking a punt on him as he's English and young. Besides, Bristol City could be bigger than any of those clubs in the next 5 years if they do get promoted and continue doing things the right way, such as the social media interaction. My own view, obviously, but to me Stoke, Swansea and West Brom are stale clubs for the PL. They've stalled and are going backwards.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
City's financial clout from their owner and recent investment in Ashton Gate show they are a growing force in the Championship. Once Norwich's parachute payments run out they will be struggling. Only a matter of time until Lansdown gets City up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

...."Cheltenham and the notorious Johnsons was quite a different topic!!! Is that who you mean?
Yup, as a kid I spent most school holidays hanging around behind the scenes in the rec centre where both my Gran and single-mum worked, so I grew up being made very aware of the threat from Manser Street, which was a real concern for rec centre management during the late 80s and early 90s. If any cars were broken into or reception staff threatened it was always the Js who were blamed - some were recognised and well known to staff.
Jerry St Clair
Darren Ferguson was promoted with Peterborough in 2008 and 2009. His dad won the Premier League with Man Utd both years as well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Darren Ferguson was promoted with Peterborough in 2008 and 2009. His dad won the Premier League with Man Utd both years as well.
Fair enough! Thought maybe the Fergs would have done it but couldn't recall.
vickeryc
Shade wrote:Norwich's ground is 244 seats bigger than Ashton Gate. Norwich have had a lot more time in higher divisions, of course, but I certainly wouldn't say they're bigger at the moment with the revolution going on there. There is massive potential at Bristol City - if they make it to the PL then they will be the only club in the South West in the top flight. And, as I said, I can't see any side that is currently in the PL, be it Swansea, Stoke or West Brom, taking a punt on him as he's English and young. Besides, Bristol City could be bigger than any of those clubs in the next 5 years if they do get promoted and continue doing things the right way, such as the social media interaction. My own view, obviously, but to me Stoke, Swansea and West Brom are stale clubs for the PL. They've stalled and are going backwards.
Correct. Bristol City are amongst the biggest under-achievers in English league football, but perhaps their time is around the corner. City have always had major potential and a sizeable, loyal fan base. In my view, if they could get into the Premiership and survive for a few seasons, they could become a real force. Many now view Swansea as a big club because of their fantastic rise to the Premiership, but let's not forget, we used to have regular league encounters with them not so long ago. Ditto Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield; also Hull, who have also flirted with Premiership in recent seasons.

Lee Johnson is a great fit for City and it would be good for English football if he could emulate the likes of Sean Dyche. With a sensible owner like Steve Lansdown, who is totally committed to Bristol, that is quite possible. City in the Premiership would be a real boost for football in the south west and, most importantly, it would really p*ss off the Gas! :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Would up the standard of loans we can get, and would give us more of a chance of competing with other small lower league clubs who have several Prem sides in their region creating a labour market pool of cheaper more accessible young talent.