Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 



Author Message
 Post subject: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 09:55 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 17500
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

Has there ever been a season where father and son have both managed different teams to promotion?

Unlikely to happen for us this season, but if City miss out this term then the Johnsons could do the double next season! Both with the Robins to boot.

Would they be the first or has it been done?

(Makes a change from my childhood when talking about Cheltenham and the Johnsons was quite a different topic!)


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 11:13 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 11431
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Lee Johnson has done a fantastic job, would not surprise me at all if a bigger club comes in for him at some stage.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 11:24 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 929
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

Has there ever been a season where father and son have both managed different teams to promotion?

Unlikely to happen for us this season, but if City miss out this term then the Johnsons could do the double next season! Both with the Robins to boot.

Would they be the first or has it been done?

(Makes a change from my childhood when talking about Cheltenham and the Johnsons was quite a different topic!)


...."Cheltenham and the notorious Johnsons was quite a different topic!!! Is that who you mean?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 11:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 4874
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I really do not think it is fair to discuss notorious Cheltenham families on here -


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 12:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9207
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:
Lee Johnson has done a fantastic job, would not surprise me at all if a bigger club comes in for him at some stage.


Like who? Premier League clubs don't bring in English managers unless they've already had a team promoted to the PL or worked at a high profile club outside of England. The only possibility I could think of would be if Dyche got a bigger job and they then hired Johnson, but I can't see either of those happening in reality. PL clubs much happier to try foreign managers with no English experience, like Leonid Slutsky and Andre Villas-Boas.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 13:11 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 11431
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Bristol City are still a small fish at Championship level so bigger clubs at that level like Norwich for example and lower prem clubs like Stoke, Swansea, West Brom etc (assuming any of them stay up may take a chance).


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 14:12 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9207
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Norwich's ground is 244 seats bigger than Ashton Gate. Norwich have had a lot more time in higher divisions, of course, but I certainly wouldn't say they're bigger at the moment with the revolution going on there. There is massive potential at Bristol City - if they make it to the PL then they will be the only club in the South West in the top flight. And, as I said, I can't see any side that is currently in the PL, be it Swansea, Stoke or West Brom, taking a punt on him as he's English and young. Besides, Bristol City could be bigger than any of those clubs in the next 5 years if they do get promoted and continue doing things the right way, such as the social media interaction. My own view, obviously, but to me Stoke, Swansea and West Brom are stale clubs for the PL. They've stalled and are going backwards.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 15:52 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 17500
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
City's financial clout from their owner and recent investment in Ashton Gate show they are a growing force in the Championship. Once Norwich's parachute payments run out they will be struggling. Only a matter of time until Lansdown gets City up.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 15:57 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 17500
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
theidlerich wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Not strictly CTFC related other than it is Gary and Lee Johnson who made me think of it.

Has there ever been a season where father and son have both managed different teams to promotion?

Unlikely to happen for us this season, but if City miss out this term then the Johnsons could do the double next season! Both with the Robins to boot.

Would they be the first or has it been done?

(Makes a change from my childhood when talking about Cheltenham and the Johnsons was quite a different topic!)


...."Cheltenham and the notorious Johnsons was quite a different topic!!! Is that who you mean?


Yup, as a kid I spent most school holidays hanging around behind the scenes in the rec centre where both my Gran and single-mum worked, so I grew up being made very aware of the threat from Manser Street, which was a real concern for rec centre management during the late 80s and early 90s. If any cars were broken into or reception staff threatened it was always the Js who were blamed - some were recognised and well known to staff.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 21:35 
Offline

Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 17:40
Posts: 378
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Darren Ferguson was promoted with Peterborough in 2008 and 2009. His dad won the Premier League with Man Utd both years as well.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 22:22 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 17500
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Darren Ferguson was promoted with Peterborough in 2008 and 2009. His dad won the Premier League with Man Utd both years as well.


Fair enough! Thought maybe the Fergs would have done it but couldn't recall.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018, 09:16 
Offline

Joined: 30 May 2012, 08:18
Posts: 864
Location: Cirencester
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Shade wrote:
Norwich's ground is 244 seats bigger than Ashton Gate. Norwich have had a lot more time in higher divisions, of course, but I certainly wouldn't say they're bigger at the moment with the revolution going on there. There is massive potential at Bristol City - if they make it to the PL then they will be the only club in the South West in the top flight. And, as I said, I can't see any side that is currently in the PL, be it Swansea, Stoke or West Brom, taking a punt on him as he's English and young. Besides, Bristol City could be bigger than any of those clubs in the next 5 years if they do get promoted and continue doing things the right way, such as the social media interaction. My own view, obviously, but to me Stoke, Swansea and West Brom are stale clubs for the PL. They've stalled and are going backwards.

Correct. Bristol City are amongst the biggest under-achievers in English league football, but perhaps their time is around the corner. City have always had major potential and a sizeable, loyal fan base. In my view, if they could get into the Premiership and survive for a few seasons, they could become a real force. Many now view Swansea as a big club because of their fantastic rise to the Premiership, but let's not forget, we used to have regular league encounters with them not so long ago. Ditto Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield; also Hull, who have also flirted with Premiership in recent seasons.

Lee Johnson is a great fit for City and it would be good for English football if he could emulate the likes of Sean Dyche. With a sensible owner like Steve Lansdown, who is totally committed to Bristol, that is quite possible. City in the Premiership would be a real boost for football in the south west and, most importantly, it would really p*ss off the Gas! :lol:


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Father and son double?
 Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018, 09:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 17500
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Would up the standard of loans we can get, and would give us more of a chance of competing with other small lower league clubs who have several Prem sides in their region creating a labour market pool of cheaper more accessible young talent.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: