Ok - thoughts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
how do rate our performances/results/league position - where do you see us ?

Over achieving
about spot on
under achieving

given budget etc
horlickfanclub
Unless we pick up after yesterdays poor effort the chance of points in Feb. looks very thin.
Robin
No question we are underachieving to an extent, not hugely though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Underachieving. We create the chances to be top seven. But don't convert them through poor finishing. Essentially one player (a finisher) away from being promotion contenders.
CTFCfan99
We're a bang average midtable side, no more no less. Which is certainly a step up from last season, so moving in the right direction.
Alf
I would say we are a couple of players off being a play off side. Beginning to look unlikely for this season though. Last week, up front, Odelusi made us look capable of scoring goals. This week without him it was back to normal.
Benctfc
We are under achieving. I must admit I am worried by our form no home win in 6 and only 2 goals scored in 5 games no where near good enough and all those games were more than winnable. Lets be honest did anyone think we would have won last week without that red card? Allt that did was mask our issues.

What annoys me is the team that started yesterday seemed weaker than what we had earlier in the season. We have a massively unbalanced squad too many strikers and centre mids and no out and out full backs that falls on the manager i'm afraid awful squad building. Looking at our February/March fixtures I would be concerned if we don't start picking up a couple of wins especially as a couple of the teams at the bottom are beginning to pick up points.
Nesty
I would hate to be Mrs GJ sending her hubby to Tescos, he would look in the fridge and see they had no bread and 6 pints of milk, and would come back with 6 more pints of milk
CTFC03
Underachieving with some of the quality that we've got, Dawson, Eisa, Winchester being played out of position, Pell etc.

The board could have backed GJ better in the summer, we were terrible last season and the club need to keep fans onside this season due to too many poor seasons over the last few years but they are not doing that, injuries have not helped but we needed to sign full backs and extra cover at CB another midfielder and an extra striker, I understand that it's down to money but sometimes it is worth taking a calculated risk to try and get a winning team again.

I can't help but think GJ's hands have been tied in some respect since we've come back into the league, we have effectively gone with a "we will go with what we've got" team this season and we have been exposed in some of these games. See the Exeter home game, Forster bad injury and Grimes straight red card and all of a sudden we have little to nothing cover because the board haven't backed GJ to get enough players in.
theidlerich
CTF03's comment...."I can't help but think GJ's hands have been tied in some respect since we've come back into the league, we have effectively gone with a "we will go with what we've got" team this season"...strikes a chord. Is more to do with our scouting and selection policy [do we have one?]or a clutch at straws using BOGOF? I wonder - too many filling the same requirement positionally. As mentioned, Moore yesterday tried, but out of position and really hadn't the experience to adapt; whereas Winchester [a stand out for me yesterday] will cope.
Robin
Moore at left back was baffling, he looked a disaster waiting to happen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I can only assume the pace of Accy's number 11, on the left wing, meant that we needed Winchester on the right to counter that, which meant Moore on the left.
Si Robin
I think it was more to do with GJ changing it up against Col U, it working, so not changing what worked.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I think it was more to do with GJ changing it up against Col U, it working, so not changing what worked.
Barring the huge blow of injury to the debut hero Sanmi.
Horteng
Nesty wrote:I would hate to be Mrs GJ sending her hubby to Tescos, he would look in the fridge and see they had no bread and 6 pints of milk, and would come back with 6 more pints of milk
I would like to know why Mrs GJ keeps bread in the fridge :?
Alf
Horteng wrote:
Nesty wrote:I would hate to be Mrs GJ sending her hubby to Tescos, he would look in the fridge and see they had no bread and 6 pints of milk, and would come back with 6 more pints of milk
I would like to know why Mrs GJ keeps bread in the fridge :?
Don’t worry, It’s not plugged in.
Andy
As expected.

We appear to be underachieving because we have had some good results but each individual player at some point or another has proved why they are at this level by being inconsistent and that in total means we are where we are.

Also think we need a bit more depth of choice and challenge for positions as some I think are showing signs of complacency regarding their selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
everyman
Andy wrote:As expected.

We appear to be underachieving because we have had some good results but each individual player at some point or another has proved why they are at this level by being inconsistent and that in total means we are where we are.

Also think we need a bit more depth of choice and challenge for positions as some I think are showing signs of complacency regarding their selection.

Most of the squad have to step up their game and give a bit more,especially the more senior ones.
Andy
everyman wrote:
Andy wrote:As expected.

Most of the squad have to step up their game and give a bit more,especially the more senior ones.
They need to consistently step up though, that’s the problem we have, they can’t.

Ihearye
So gave it another go after the Yeovil shambles.
This was just as bad
Re we deserved to get something out of the game. No we didn't, can't shoot, can't defend second to every ball no fight.
Re we are a safe mid table team. No we are not. Much more of the same and we have a battle on our hands.
Re we are just not gettting the rub of the green. If this means we can't hit the target from 8 yards and can't stop giving away very very soft goals. Yes that is the case. The other case is we are just not good enough.
Re who is to blame. A mis_shapen squad plays a large part in this and only one person can put their hands up on that. Also as far as player motivation goes. What happens between we train ok to we are poor on a saturday?
Re we don't have to sell, that usualy means we are selling. Only hope is there are worse teams than us as I don't see us getting ourselves out of this. Unless big changes are made
Oldun
Agree Andy, although there are a number on here who are complaining that we have too many in certain positions.
(See all the nonsense about bread and milk!)
No doubt the injuries hit us where it hurt in terms of left and centre back, especially when DOS was deemed to be not good enough after several chances to impress. Midfield is strong and if players were fit we have options at the front. Still think we need a seasoned experienced centre back and a left back too, if they are out there. Don't see problem with Winnie at right back at all as he is good wherever he plays.

PS Don't know which game you were watching ihearye but the second to every ball comment is absolute nonsense. From the rest of your comments I guess it really is Black Monday where you are! Of course we are making mistakes that lead to missed chances and goals but from my afternoon in front of the TV yesterday so are Man City! Misshapen squad? Guess you give no acknowledgement to the injury problems either? Are you confused in disguise?
Nesty
the injury to boo boy Cranston robbed us of our ONLY full back, you cannot blame injuries for our misshapen squad
Robin
Is Moore a full back or a centre back? I say that because I'm genuinely unsure where his best position is.
horlickfanclub
Centre back. As I posted when we signed him the reports from his loan last season said he was less effective at right back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I suspect he and Bristol City were unsure. Either way, he signed as CB/RB, certainly not LB.

He reminds me a bit of Birdy and Gallers in the sense he may be too small for CB but doesn't bomb on enough for RB, so might end up in CM. With Stoz gone, if we lose Nige or Pell to injury I would be tempted to give Moore a go as the holding pitbull in midfield. Reckon he would do a decent job there.
Ihearye
The thread is titled thoughts, I was only giving mine. Nothing to say they have to agree with any given purpose and certainly no need for such an aggressive response.
I said mis shapen because I think we are and have been
Pell playing in centre out wide up front
Winchester LB RB
TM playing CB LB RB,
Grimes CD left and rights.
Mo has been our only consistent forward, even though we are now awash with them.
Only 2 injuries have had significant impact. JC for which we have no cover ( only one area responsible for that) and Foster who we have cover for. If the cover has been good enough is a question. But it is a squad game and we have no cover for LB and no RB at all, irrespective of winchester being good enough to probably play in goals as well.
Man City, that did make me smmile. Seems their mistakes most be somewhat less than ours given the position iin our respective leagues.
All written without one condescending word or tone
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:The thread is titled thoughts, I was only giving mine. Nothing to say they have to agree with any given purpose and certainly no need for such an aggressive response.
I said mis shapen because I think we are and have been
Pell playing in centre out wide up front
Winchester LB RB
TM playing CB LB RB,
Grimes CD left and rights.
Mo has been our only consistent forward, even though we are now awash with them.
Only 2 injuries have had significant impact. JC for which we have no cover ( only one area responsible for that) and Foster who we have cover for. If the cover has been good enough is a question. But it is a squad game and we have no cover for LB and no RB at all, irrespective of winchester being good enough to probably play in goals as well.
Man City, that did make me smmile. Seems their mistakes most be somewhat less than ours given the position iin our respective leagues.
All written without one condescending word or tone
Agree with those thoughts.
Robin
Moore for me looks like he'd be best suited in a back three. He has some potential but he's had some truly terrible games for us where he's been hauled off early because he's clearly lost his head, I'm sure over time he'll improve but he's certainly not a star right now. Also at right back he looks lost when he crosses the half way line and his delivery into the box looks like a centre half not a full back.