PB on January

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Interesting comments here: http://bit.ly/BakerJanWindow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CTFC03
Please don't sell Eisa and not replace him.
Robin
Any Championship clubs want Eisa then we need to getting nothing less than a club record fee. I've heard Barnsley and Middlesbrough have both been looking at him, I'm sure there are others.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
£750k minimum.
horlickfanclub
We could afford four full backs then.
Nesty
horlickfanclub wrote:We could afford four full backs then.
just one would be nice
Artemis
Only if he / they are better quality than Taylor Moore and Winniesta....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Only if he / they are better quality than Taylor Moore and Winniesta....
Interesting balance. Would having a round peg at RB, even if a little worse than Winchester, but then having Winchester further up the pitch be better or worse for the team as a whole than keeping him at RB.
THECHOIRBOY
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:Only if he / they are better quality than Taylor Moore and Winniesta....
Interesting balance. Would having a round peg at RB, even if a little worse than Winchester, but then having Winchester further up the pitch be better or worse for the team as a whole than keeping him at RB.
For me it would depend where up the field. If he ends up getting stuck out on LM or RM then it's probably not worth it. I would still love to see him in the middle of the park in which case I would say yes.
Artemis
We have a surfeit of midfielders. One (maybe two, in Dawson) of them is a very good full-back too. Therefore it makes no sense to sign a weaker fullback just for the sake of satisfying the round peg brigade. Now, if he's better than Winniesta, great, but I expect they're not easy to find.
I expect us to sign a young lad on loan or short term deal who can play at FB as cover for the current incumbents.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
But would the team be better if Winchester was in midfield?
Robin
Artemis wrote:We have a surfeit of midfielders. One (maybe two, in Dawson) of them is a very good full-back too. Therefore it makes no sense to sign a weaker fullback just for the sake of satisfying the round peg brigade. Now, if he's better than Winniesta, great, but I expect they're not easy to find.
I expect us to sign a young lad on loan or short term deal who can play at FB as cover for the current incumbents.
The thing is PB says we can strengthen, have we done that so far? We've had four out and three in. One striker who appears to be what we need (big, powerful and mobile striker) probably to replace Danny Wright, another to replace Gordon/Holman and a centre half. Yet we've not added to the areas where we are weakest (in terms of numbers), specifically full back and wingers which means we need 2-3 first team quality players or we need to drop this 4-4-2 formation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3-4-3.

-------Manny Boyle Grimes-------

Dawson Nige Pell Winchester

-----Adebayo Graham Esia-------

Subs/rotators
Morrell
Sanmi
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 16 Jan 2018, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Malabus
Well, with rediculous inflated fees for players; the minimum for a possible Eisa deal should be no less than £1.2 million.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Nesty
dont know about selling Eisa - we need to sign his brother !! cue Jeff Stelling telling us you cant have more than one Eisa!!
THECHOIRBOY
I am not sure how Morrell is being left out of some peoples teams. Admittedley I have not seen as many games as previous seasons but I feel he has been our standout player over 90 minutes in all of them pretty much! Would be probably my first or second name on team sheet!
Robin
Agree, Morrell should be in the team he's been by far the best of the City loanees and someone we should be looking to get on board permanently for a fee if we can do so.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:I am not sure how Morrell is being left out of some peoples teams. Admittedley I have not seen as many games as previous seasons but I feel he has been our standout player over 90 minutes in all of them pretty much! Would be probably my first or second name on team sheet!
Squad game.

Note my formation was a 3-4-3 so needs tough midfielders and widemen who can track back as well as create, hence my selection.

If we have four or five at the back, and space for another creative player then 100% Morrell.

Not a slight on Morrell, just not suited to my 3-4-3.
THECHOIRBOY
He may be little but I'd still say he's pretty tough. It's all about opinions but even in your formation I'd have him over Pell.
horlickfanclub
We have shipped out six players,not four Robin.
Flatt ,Davey,Storer,Holman, Hinds,O'Shaughnessy plus Page on loan
Nesty
it is apparent that we need to play 3-5-2 with two wing backs. Given that scenario with what we have we could play Dawson and Winchester on the flanks (yes I know square pegs etc) with Atangana, Pell and Morrell in the engine room, and two from Adebayo/Eisa/Graham up front
the only thing about signing any more defenders/full backs is that one or more of a very strong midfield would miss out?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:it is apparent that we need to play 3-5-2 with two wing backs. Given that scenario with what we have we could play Dawson and Winchester on the flanks (yes I know square pegs etc) with Atangana, Pell and Morrell in the engine room, and two from Adebayo/Eisa/Graham up front
the only thing about signing any more defenders/full backs is that one or more of a very strong midfield would miss out?
Not miss out - they'd still be part of the match day squad. No reason not just to give Morrell and Dawson/Winchester half a game on average. I.e If Winchester is wing-back Morrell starts a couple but comes off after an hour in each with Dawson coming on to add new impetus. Next two game Dawson starts and Morrell on to provide fresh legs. Or maybe Pell/Nige will need to come off depending on the game status etc.

Having more players you want to play than what you can play is what you need to be competitive and all fans in my view should view having to grudgingly leave players out as a positive sign of a proper squad.

If we are worried about having to have Morrell, or Winchester, or Dawson etc starting on the bench we might as well sell two of them, have an eleven which picks itself and have kids on the bench.

I personally look at the strength of the bench as a real indicator of which team may win the game or finish higher in the table. Having Dawson or Winchester on the bench lets the opposition know that even if they see off and nullify Morrell there are two more equally dangerous players to come on. It is a 14 man match these days, with 16 to choose from as the game status dictates.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote:it is apparent that we need to play 3-5-2 with two wing backs. Given that scenario with what we have we could play Dawson and Winchester on the flanks (yes I know square pegs etc) with Atangana, Pell and Morrell in the engine room, and two from Adebayo/Eisa/Graham up front
Not miss out - they'd still be part of the match day squad. No reason not just to give Morrell and Dawson/Winchester half a game on average. I.e If Winchester is wing-back Morrell starts a couple but comes off after an hour in each with Dawson coming on to add new impetus. Next two game Dawson starts and Morrell on to provide fresh legs. Or maybe Pell/Nige will need to come off depending on the game status etc.

Having more players you want to play than what you can play is what you need to be competitive and all fans in my view should view having to grudgingly leave players out as a positive sign of a proper squad.

If we are worried about having to have Morrell, or Winchester, or Dawson etc starting on the bench we might as well sell two of them, have an eleven which picks itself and have kids on the bench.

I personally look at the strength of the bench as a real indicator of which team may win the game or finish higher in the table. Having Dawson or Winchester on the bench lets the opposition know that even if they see off and nullify Morrell there are two more equally dangerous players to come on. It is a 14 man match these days, with 16 to choose from as the game status dictates.
wise words
Artemis
Uh, we're not National League anymore. 7 + 11 = 18....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Uh, we're not National League anymore. 7 + 11 = 18....
Cheers for the correction!