Mansfield Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Alf
Now I’ve had time to calm down, a couple of observations. Mo is carried off with a split lip....presumably punched himself in the face as a time wasting tactic and I’m still waiting for some sort of injury update on the two Mansfield players who were viciously floored by elbows in the face. A referee should be able to tell the difference between a player deliberately throwing his elbow back into an opponents face and a genuine running action. It’s difficult to run without moving your arms. If he can’t tell the difference then he shouldn’t choose the red card option.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:What I'm finding odd here is that by reading versions of events from all sides, including Mansfield fans who I know to be like me and take a pragmatic view of things, is how different both sets of fans have seen this.

Having seen the Wright red a few times, he clearly gives the ref a decision to make. The fact that (according to Mark Halliwell on Twitter) both the ref and assistant miss it and it's only brought to their attention by Raynor and Evans is irrelevant in my eyes. His arm catches the Mansfield player in the face twice. Whether it's deliberate or not is, again, completely irrelevant. Let's not forget, Wright has form in this area, both with the "stamp" on the Grimsby keeper, then the sending off against FGR in the Checkatrade earlier this season. Let's not paint him out to be some sort of angel.

Taylor Moore's is much harder to call though, but it strikes me as very similar to Stoz's red card against them at Whaddon Road last season. There probably was a bit of contact from the arm, however their player has made a meal of it and got our player sent off. It's disgusting, but I guarantee that if we appeal it won't be overturned.

Evans and Raynor (the worst of the two in my eyes) are reprehensible characters, but we all know that, and GJ is experienced enough to know it as well. He admits himself he shouldn't have pushed him and we all know full well they get away with murder on the touchline. Best to just move on now.
If the red and assistant missed it then it is highly relevant if they send a player off on the word of a manager and henchman. Does this mean next game Gary can randomly shout “Ref, number 7 head butted our keeper” and the player is sent off as a result? If true that a red card was shown only after a manager told the ref about an off the ball incident then it brings the game into disrepute and farce.
Benctfc
Looking to next week that really needs to be a must win otherwise we will need to start looking over our shoulder. I must admit our home form is a worry recently the Yeovil performance and result in particular was appalling.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:Looking to next week that really needs to be a must win otherwise we will need to start looking over our shoulder. I must admit our home form is a worry recently the Yeovil performance and result in particular was appalling.
Yes, the Yeovil game is up there with the Altrincham debacle as one of the worst results in recent years. Hopefully not too costly. That is mid table for you.
Shade
2 players probably suspended and Barnet with a manager into his second game. Got home loss written all over it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:2 players probably suspended and Barnet with a manager into his second game. Got home loss written all over it.
Luckily two positions we have cover for.

A defeat and it would not be unfair to suggest Barnet would not be the only team who would benefit from a new manager.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:2 players probably suspended and Barnet with a manager into his second game. Got home loss written all over it.

A defeat and it would not be unfair to suggest Barnet would not be the only team who would benefit from a new manager.
Ours will be sat in the stand, in all probability.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Ours will be sat in the stand, in all probability.
Got all week to get the team ready. Beating Barnet is essential. Anything else is failure.