Looking ahead.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Expecting another relegation fight and luck not going away (as usual).
I-Love-CTFC
Don't worry we are only 13 points off the play-offs. :roll:
vickeryc
We have reached the point where we're looking anxiously over our shoulders again. Hopefully a win against beleaguered Barnet next week will steady the ship, but that's far from certain given our defensive frailties and inconsistency. That said, we are on 34 points which is just 7 short of what we amassed during our relegation season and the same number of points that both relegated teams totalled in 2015/16. I'd like to think we have enough points in the bag to be safe,but you never know!
Robin
Relegation seriously? I'd say that's extremely unlikely we look every bit a bit table or even lower mid-table team this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Relegation seriously? I'd say that's extremely unlikely we look every bit a bit table or even lower mid-table team this season.
More than unlikely, verging on the utter improbable.

If people are worried about relegation I am surprised they aren’t to scared to leave their house or cross the road for fear of being hit by a falling tree or out of control bus.
vickeryc
I think my comments are being taken too literally/ seriously. I said we probably already have enough points in the bag to secure safety, subject to a catastrophic run of results. Highly unlikely scenario but not unprecedented, that's all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:I think my comments are being taken too literally/ seriously. I said we probably already have enough points in the bag to secure safety, subject to a catastrophic run of results. Highly unlikely scenario but not unprecedented, that's all.
Yes, agreed. My remarks were in response to the OP really.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I think we’ll go down. Our best player this year (Cranston) is injured and manny and grimes cannot play at this level

Let’s hope we’ve got enough because I can’t see where the next point is coming from
Lol.
MSB
I wish I could troll as well as Ben2 troll's :lol:
Nesty
vickeryc wrote:We have reached the point where we're looking anxiously over our shoulders again. Hopefully a win against beleaguered Barnet next week will steady the ship, but that's far from certain given our defensive frailties and inconsistency. That said, we are on 34 points which is just 7 short of what we amassed during our relegation season and the same number of points that both relegated teams totalled in 2015/16. I'd like to think we have enough points in the bag to be safe,but you never know!
being realistic, so far the January sales have not, on the face of it , solved our defensive problems. with two of the goals yesterday down to new defenders. Discipline needs sorting also
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bookies have us 80/1 to go down, so maybe the pessimists should but a couple of quid on, then at least they may experience one positive thing in their life this year.
East End Robin
I know I've already pointed this out in a previous post in a different topic, but Hartlepool were 8 points clear with 7 games remaining last season before Newport pulled off the great escape and 'Pool went down instead. We're 8 points clear with 18 games remaining, and a game in hand for the teams at the bottom. I'll agree we're more likely to stay up than not, but we certainly can't assume we're safe because teams in safer positions than us has gone down before.

Next 3 games against Barnet, Port Vale and Grimsby should really shed some light on how our season should end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
East End Robin wrote:I know I've already pointed this out in a previous post in a different topic, but Hartlepool were 8 points clear with 7 games remaining last season before Newport pulled off the great escape and 'Pool went down instead. We're 8 points clear with 18 games remaining, and a game in hand for the teams at the bottom. I'll agree we're more likely to stay up than not, but we certainly can't assume we're safe because teams in safer positions than us has gone down before.

Next 3 games against Barnet, Port Vale and Grimsby should really shed some light on how our season should end.
But Hartlepool were in free fall, with no time to turn it around in a two horse race, Even if we get overtaken by FGR, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Crewe, Morecambe and Vale in the next eight games - as per Hartlepool scenario- that gives us ten games ourselves to overtake Cambridge, Crawley, Grimsby or Chesterfield as well as the aforementioned sides.
East End Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
East End Robin wrote:I know I've already pointed this out in a previous post in a different topic, but Hartlepool were 8 points clear with 7 games remaining last season before Newport pulled off the great escape and 'Pool went down instead. We're 8 points clear with 18 games remaining, and a game in hand for the teams at the bottom. I'll agree we're more likely to stay up than not, but we certainly can't assume we're safe because teams in safer positions than us has gone down before.

But Hartlepool were in free fall, with no time to turn it around in a two horse race, Even if we get overtaken by FGR, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Crewe, Morecambe and Vale in the next eight games - as per Hartlepool scenario- that gives us ten games ourselves to overtake Cambridge, Crawley, Grimsby or Chesterfield as well as the aforementioned sides.
I suppose, I just think I don't want to set myself up for disappointment XD I'm concerned that we have only got 4 points in the last 5 games and that we're not that far from relegation, but I'll also admit that we seem stronger now than we did last year, and have had horrendous luck with injuries - if by the end of the month, in addition to our current squad, we have a fit again Boyle and Odelusi, as well as maybe 1 or 2 other signings, and with Forster and Cranston back in March. then we should have a lot of competition within the squad which will be healthy. So I think we'll stay up, I just don't think being pulled into a relegation dogfight is unrealistic.