First visit to Whaddon Road

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andyj
After an absence of approx. 15 years I am returning to Whaddon Road next Saturday (27th) to watch the Robins and am bringing my 8 year old son for his first ever visit.
What can I expect?
Who are the players I should be telling him to look out for?
MSB
Welcome back!

Hopefully your son gets hooked just as much as as lot of us have done. Remember the football won't always be great but every person means something to a football club of this level.
Behind the goal is still the best place for atmosphere and whilst the view is not the greatest in the ground, kids are able to stand right at the front allowing to be right up close to the action. If a better view and seating is preferred then the Colin Farmer Stand is the best bet, although these seats come at an extra couple of quid in price.

If you arrive early enough (I don't usually but around 12.30pm I think) You should be able to greet the players as they arrive. I'm led to believe they'll all say hello and sign a few autographs for the kids.

If you are quick, printing deadlines permitting, you might be able to contact the club and get your lad into the matchday programme or welcomed on the big screen/tannoy, worth a try to make his day memorable.

If you haven't already, it is worth contacting the club about enrolling your son into the Junior Robins. He'll get free entry into the match alongside plenty of other perks for junior supporters.

Players he should looks out for:

Mo Eisa #20 is scoring plenty of goals this season. He was playing for Greenwich Borough FC last season and has hit the ground running so much so that teams higher up in the pyramid are looking at him. One for the future indeed.
Harry Pell #7 has been our talisman over the last couple of years. Tends to be very cheeky in interviews and sometimes on the pitch (see Grimsby at home from last season), has a lot of time for the fans, is present on social media.
Carl Winchester #11 used all over the pitch this season filling in at RB and LB, played central midfield this afternoon where most would argue is his best position. He's probably been player of the season this year.

Hope some of this helps.

Have a great day next week. Come back and let us know how your son finds it!
Si Robin
Hard to argue with anything MSB says.

Just one correction - Junior Robins membership is £5, but that is well worth it for free entry to games with a paying adult (basically the cost of one child terrace ticket).
andyj
Si & MSB,

Thank-you so much for your replies - really, really helpful & v. informative.

I hope it will be the first of many regular visits and I will come back to let you know how we get on.

Thanks again.

Andy