Gary Johnson's post match interview after Mansfield in full

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/GJAfterMansfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vickeryc
Who would you be more likely to trust if you were buying a used car - Gary Johnson or Steve Evans? I doubt many would say the latter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great composure by Gary. Keep quiet and move on now, and let the FA deal with it.
Chris FGR
vickeryc wrote:Who would you be more likely to trust if you were buying a used car - Gary Johnson or Steve Evans? I doubt many would say the latter.
Speaking as a relative neutral, one manager is generally pretty well respected throughout the lower leagues and usually comes across pretty well. The other one, along with his odious sidekick achieve neither of those things.

Evans and Raynor often get away with murder, and Ive never understood why. Every side they've managed have been an abomination, albeit quite successful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
vickeryc wrote:Who would you be more likely to trust if you were buying a used car - Gary Johnson or Steve Evans? I doubt many would say the latter.
Speaking as a relative neutral, one manager is generally pretty well respected throughout the lower leagues and usually comes across pretty well. The other one, along with his odious sidekick achieve neither of those things.

Evans and Raynor often get away with murder, and Ive never understood why. Every side they've managed have been an abomination, albeit quite successful.
God only knows how they get away with it.
stanns stag
Hello, I saw the match, one of the better league 2 games I've seen and I thought Cheltenham were the better team, even with a numerical disadvantage.

However, the referee got all three decisions right in my opinion. You can't complain about gamesmanship when you elbow a player in the face twice and spend two thirds of the match feigning injury and time wasting.

I sit near the dugouts and didn't see anything too salty except Gary Johnson made the fatal error of raising his hands to fend of some honest debate from Raynor. Gary is a good guy. I remember he was most complimentary about Mansfield a few seasons ago when manager at Yeovil.

All in all a job well done by the Stags and a bit lucky to win it in the end.

Enjoy the rest of the season....
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:

God only knows how they get away with it.
" GOD " knows ! He wont let them into his heaven ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
stanns stag wrote:Hello, I saw the match, one of the better league 2 games I've seen and I thought Cheltenham were the better team, even with a numerical disadvantage.

However, the referee got all three decisions right in my opinion. You can't complain about gamesmanship when you elbow a player in the face twice and spend two thirds of the match feigning injury and time wasting.

I sit near the dugouts and didn't see anything too salty except Gary Johnson made the fatal error of raising his hands to fend of some honest debate from Raynor. Gary is a good guy. I remember he was most complimentary about Mansfield a few seasons ago when manager at Yeovil.

All in all a job well done by the Stags and a bit lucky to win it in the end.

Enjoy the rest of the season....
You must have seen Raynor enter our technical area then?
stanns stag
Not sure about that - think it was pretty much six and one. I'm sure the minor melee was triggered by Gary baiting Danny Rose when he was recovering from a forearm smash in the face. That much I did see. From there, things got a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that was the rank display of bad sportsmanship that fuelled the ire of the Mansfield crowd/bench, and from there, we were always likely to win I thought.

You probably deserved a point but I'm glad Mansfield won because it was clear that when Cheltenham scored they were going to resort to the dark arts to try and grind out a result. Not sure that's how I'd like my football team to approach a similar situation. Evans and Raynor are quite difficult characters but I'd say on the balance of things yesterday, Cheltenham didn't really display any sportsmanship either. I've watch Mansfield all season and don't consider them to be a 'dirty' side, notwithstanding Haydn White's tackle which was a definite red, like both of Cheltenham's.

Sorry if that rankles, it's an honest assessment as I can give, having been yards away from most of the decisions.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
stanns stag wrote:Not sure about that - think it was pretty much six and one. I'm sure the minor melee was triggered by Gary baiting Danny Rose when he was recovering from a forearm smash in the face. That much I did see. From there, things got a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that was the rank display of bad sportsmanship that fuelled the ire of the Mansfield crowd/bench, and from there, we were always likely to win I thought.

You probably deserved a point but I'm glad Mansfield won because it was clear that when Cheltenham scored they were going to resort to the dark arts to try and grind out a result. Not sure that's how I'd like my football team to approach a similar situation. Evans and Raynor are quite difficult characters but I'd say on the balance of things yesterday, Cheltenham didn't really display any sportsmanship either. I've watch Mansfield all season and don't consider them to be a 'dirty' side, notwithstanding Haydn White's tackle which was a definite red, like both of Cheltenham's.

Sorry if that rankles, it's an honest assessment as I can give, having been yards away from most of the decisions.
Lol not sure they entered our technical area. The fact you can deny that with a straight face means we can ignore everything you type afterwards. Honest...lol.
Swolley
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
stanns stag wrote:Not sure about that - think it was pretty much six and one. I'm sure the minor melee was triggered by Gary baiting Danny Rose when he was recovering from a forearm smash in the face. That much I did see. From there, things got a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that was the rank display of bad sportsmanship that fuelled the ire of the Mansfield crowd/bench, and from there, we were always likely to win I thought.

Lol not sure they entered our technical area. The fact you can deny that with a straight face means we can ignore everything you type afterwards. Honest...lol.
Perhaps he means he isn't sure as he didn't see it. Raynor definitely entered the Cheltenham technical area to have a go at Johnson. Johnson was shouting at Danny Rose, who was near by and Raynor went to defend him. What Johnson was complaining about, I can't understand. It was as clear a red card as you'll ever see. Evans and Raynor will jump on any opportunity to rile opposition or influence the officials and Johnson is normally a cooler character and should have known better. He ultimately also deserved his marching orders.
Shade
I'm just watching the highlights back. From what I can see:
- Taylor Moore, like any player heading the ball, had his arm raised up a bit. He won the ball comfortably. There was no backward movement of his arm and it looked like Rose ran into it, before falling to the ground like he was shot. Not even a foul, let alone a red. Knowing Moore's character and seeing his immediate reaction, it certainly wasn't deliberate.
- Their red, he dives in recklessly but one footed. The lateness of it, sending Chatzitheodoridis flying, and the position on the pitch made it a crazy decision to go diving in in such a way, so it was always going to be red.
- Wright's running with the ball and the guy is pulling him back. Wright tries to shrug him off and the guy basically headbutts his arm as he's pulling down on Wright's shoulder, if he even touches him at all (not clear from the angle). Note how Raynor doesn't react until he sees the player hit the deck, so he obviously didn't see anything either, yet leads the calls for the sending off like the apoplectic monkey that he is.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I'm just watching the highlights back. From what I can see:
- Taylor Moore, like any player heading the ball, had his arm raised up a bit. He won the ball comfortably. There was no backward movement of his arm and it looked like Rose ran into it, before falling to the ground like he was shot. Not even a foul, let alone a red. Knowing Moore's character and seeing his immediate reaction, it certainly wasn't deliberate.
- Their red, he dives in recklessly but one footed. The lateness of it, sending Chatzitheodoridis flying, and the position on the pitch made it a crazy decision to go diving in in such a way, so it was always going to be red.
- Wright's running with the ball and the guy is pulling him back. Wright tries to shrug him off and the guy basically headbutts his arm as he's pulling down on Wright's shoulder, if he even touches him at all (not clear from the angle). Note how Raynor doesn't react until he sees the player hit the deck, so he obviously didn't see anything either, yet leads the calls for the sending off like the apoplectic monkey that he is.
Cheating scum pure and simple.
Swolley
Shade wrote:I'm just watching the highlights back. From what I can see:
That smacks of bias I'm afraid. I was sat directly in line with Rose for the first red and he definitely elbowed him. Why he would have his elbow sticking out when he's not even jumping says it all. He saw Rose coming and stuck it into him. For the second one, I also had a good view from where I was. The two players were shoulder to shoulder (Potter isn't pulling him back - watch again) and what you don't see from that angle, but we did from the stand, was that there was lots of barging and then Wright pushed Potter in the face. It probably didn't warrant going down like that, but that's what happens when you put your hands in someone's face these days. Stupid move by Wright. And given the diving from Cheltenham during the game, it would by hypocritical to complain on that front.

I know I'm disagreeing with everything you said, but I'm trying to see it fairly. I think Raynor should have been sent off with Johnson, White's challenge was a clear red and your penalty was also correctly given, though not all Stags fans agree on that.