Gary Johnson after the 1-1 draw with Barnet

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Video here: http://bit.ly/BarnetH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Decent interview. As disgusting as today's result and starting eleven was, let's remember and be grateful we have a proper owner and manager rather than charlatans like McGurk or Cooper.
horlickfanclub
He was let off lightly. The starting selection was a disaster. The interview was poor.
Del Boy
How lucky we are to have a manager get us into 16th place? - something previous managers were sacked for.

I keep reading on here how we've got all these players too good for league two, the best midfield in the division and a manager better than we could ever hope for, yet we can't even beat the bottom team at home.

There seems to be a lot of people who have an inflated view of this squad. We're in a run of three games against the worst three teams in the form table. If we don't start beating these teams we will be in real trouble.

But don't worry we've got a great manager, players . . .
everyman
Del Boy wrote:How lucky we are to have a manager get us into 16th place? - something previous managers were sacked for.

I keep reading on here how we've got all these players too good for league two, the best midfield in the division and a manager better than we could ever hope for, yet we can't even beat the bottom team at home.

There seems to be a lot of people who have an inflated view of this squad. We're in a run of three games against the worst three teams in the form table. If we don't start beating these teams we will be in real trouble.

I`m playing all the right players,but not necessarily in the right order ?
drgm
Don't think Gary's quite got the spark anymore. We're too accepting of lacklustre performances and an underachieving squad.
Horteng
drgm wrote:Don't think Gary's quite got the spark anymore. We're too accepting of lacklustre performances and an underachieving squad.
Agreed. Cant help but think Gary is half wound down ready for retirement. He doesn't seem to want too much excitement or too much negativity......

Iv lost all interest in this season and can only see us going one way now and the downwards rather than upwards. Not saying relegation but we wont be climbing the table anytime soon

Its all getting a bit boring TBH
theidlerich
Wouldn't say boring; perhaps predictable unpredictability! Strange team selections; loanees much lauding of but fail to live up to promise; a lot of mutterings now at home games and disillusionment creeping in. Personally I believe we will creep lower; but have the squad to move upwards, but 'we' are not selecting the right players for specific positions. Hopefully when a few more stalwarts return we will see a turn up in fortune. Yesterday I questioned for the first time whether it was worth turning up on a dank, dismal, dreary day to see potentially yet another dreary match.
longmover
theidlerich wrote: a lot of mutterings now at home games and disillusionment creeping in. .
loads of this yesterday
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
theidlerich wrote: a lot of mutterings now at home games and disillusionment creeping in. .
loads of this yesterday
Not surprised. When in a mid table rut with nothing left to care about, the only way to keep fans on board is by trying to play exciting attacking football at home. When fans turn up and see a defensive line up, no bite in midfield and Pell up front, they are bound to wonder why they bothered.

If we start a few home games on the front foot with three up front and Nige bossing the midfield there might be some excitement.

I guess after so many years of promotion and relegation battles going to the end of the season, a year when our season is over in January with injuries affecting the squad, it is always going to seem dull.

Get three up top, attack and get some high scoring games at WR and let’s see the younger players developing. Noting else to motivate fans apart from that.
CTFC03
It's boring, if we were playing boring football but getting results then I accept that, Ward didn't play an attractive style of football but we went up via the play offs. We can still go down, our defence is awful, we looked shaky all game and on set pieces too, a better side would have smashed us yesterday. A shame we are not looking for 2 old fashioned experienced CB's because that is where our main problem is, we've been unlucky with injuries and I think Forster will be in the category of experienced CB judging by his career at Celtic & Hibernian. Thought Flinders was unlucky for the goal yesterday, don't think he had a clear view of the ball.
Robin
This season reminds me of SC and JW second season at the helm, marred by injuries and inconsistency.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As I said some time ago. Write this season off. Be nice to see Mo and Sellars developing more and for the team to go gung-ho at home to liven up a dull average season.

One positive is we don’t often experience a stress free season with nothing to play for so let’s try and find positives in it this year!
Robin
Not a great deal of positives this season, at times we've been very good at others we've been ridiculously bad. We do have the nucleus of a good team though, just need a few key players and consistent team selection then I am hopeful we can challenge for play offs next season.
horlickfanclub
Funny how the tide is turning . I used to to get pilloried for daring to question the odd selections of him who must not be challenged. You can only watch Groundhog Day once before it becomes tiresome.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Funny how the tide is turning . I used to to get pilloried for daring to question the odd selections of him who must not be challenged. You can only watch Groundhog Day once before it becomes tiresome.
Not wholely accurate. Everyone, including myself, has rightly questioned odd decisions and poor performances all last season and this and continue to do so. You have only been pilloried when going far too OTT and banging on about wanting Gary sacked and trying to make every thread into a dig at Gary in some way. Which as far as I can see, you are still very much in a minority.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Funny how the tide is turning . I used to to get pilloried for daring to question the odd selections of him who must not be challenged. You can only watch Groundhog Day once before it becomes tiresome.
Not wholely accurate. Everyone, including myself, has rightly questioned odd decisions and poor performances all last season and this and continue to do so. You have only been pilloried when going far too OTT and banging on about wanting Gary sacked and trying to make every thread into a dig at Gary in some way. Which as far as I can see, you are still very much in a minority.
Maybe, but being in a minority doesn't mean he's wrong.
Nesty
I dont want him sacked........... yet.............. I just want him to start doing his job
Nesty
everyman wrote:
Del Boy wrote:How lucky we are to have a manager get us into 16th place? - something previous managers were sacked for.

I`m playing all the right players,but not necessarily in the right order ?
class................ bring me sunshine