Morrell and Sellars

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Whenever both are played, our midfield looks unbelievably lightweight and we are too often bullied out of possession. I like both players as they are amongst the more gifted footballers in the squad; however, it is increasingly obvious that Jerrell is a luxury. He should only be played as an alternative to Joe, who, despite his lack of height wins a surprising amount in the air and tackles pretty well. While Sellars might have the edge in nimble footwork, Joe's all-round contribution is far superior. It seems a no-brainer that Nige should be selected ahead of Sellars.
horlickfanclub
Sellars needs to be up front or out wide but not wandering around and avoiding tracking back.
vickeryc
Graham is a better bet up front with Eisa.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sellars has great potential and is already talented at some elements of the game.

Needs to spend a year or two working on his alround game positioning, strength and decision making/game management.

He is 22 and if he works hard he will be a top L1 player in two years imo. I believe we should make the investment to get him that stage, so he can take us up or move on for a decent fee.
vickeryc
Interesting. I agree that Sellars is talented and he has already shown glimpses of his undoubted skills. However, right now, it is a luxury playing both him and Morrell. It would be great if the club was able to 'nurture' Jerrell and give him game time when he's ready. I hate even suggesting that he might become a bit of a passenger because I know he's skilful, but a club like the Robins cannot have too many players on the basis that they might eventually 'come good'.
horlickfanclub
We have been "nurturing " Adam Page .Bring him back and give him a go .Sellers has learnt nothing in six months.
drgm
Sellars has not 'learnt' to tackle, challenge for headers, close players down or mark anyone. It would be a very brave man who offers him a 2 year deal on the basis of what he has learned so far. By contrast Morrell is the total opposite and it's
a bit unfair to lump the two players together.
We've got a poor centre back pairing and a player in midfield who does nothing while not in possession of the ball. Still
he gets the nod while better players languish on the bench
It's not his fault he gets picked every week so maybe the blame lies elsewhere