New loan defender

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:I believe Forster,Graham,Dawson and Atangana are on two year contracts Regency so your summer plans can be adjusted.
Thanks - as I said, "if not already" as I had no idea and was seeking clarification so cheers for confirming.

Makes the summer plans even easier; focus on bringing in quality in the areas where we are short on numbers.

Shopping list should be, in priority order:

2 RB
1 LB
4 wingers
Third striker to support Graham and Mo
Winiesta
Partner for Forster
Robin
We don't need major surgery this summer 4-5 new faces maximum in my opinion a right back, experienced centre half, striker and a winger. Ideally we also sign Morrell permanently if the fee is not crazy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:We don't need major surgery this summer 4-5 new faces maximum in my opinion a right back, experienced centre half, striker and a winger. Ideally we also sign Morrell permanently if the fee is not crazy.
I would argue we need two RB and an LB. A complete squad has two in each position.
Robin
Not sure we can have the luxury of dedicated players in every position especially when some can play more than one position. I guess what I am saying is I'm fine if Winnie or Forster can cover for right back but we need a first choice player there of quality. This could of course be a loan player too in there if we get an experienced centre half of our own.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And if Cranston and new RB both get injured in November? Back to square one and Gary criticised for an incomplete unbalanced squad.

On the one hand people complain about square pegs. On the other hand people say we don't need round pegs!!

I don't think it is a luxury to have 22 players in a squad.
Robin
No but I would expect within a 22 player squad several players can cover a number of positions.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:No but I would expect within a 22 player squad several players can cover a number of positions.
So would I. But there is no point having a 22 man squad with say 12 midfielders and four defenders. Much better to have eight of each, with several of those eight covering several positions if needed.

Versatile players should not be the only cover, as it becomes the accepted norm.

I'd always plan for first choice RB to play 30ish games and the second to play 15ish. We don't want to rely on Winchester for that. He should be cover for the handful of games when both RBs are unavailable or if tactical changes are needed in a game.