New signing 6

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Ben2 wrote:But unless we finish top of the league every year these people will moan no matter who we sign.

They honestly cannot see the incremental step forward that this season has been. Last year we looked doomed, this year we’re looking up the table. They cannot see the improvement in player.

The same moaning minority who chased Yates out that led directly to our relegation - they’d do the same with GJ if they could. Thank good they’re not in charge!!
Can't speak for anyone else but I wanted Yates to stay. Thought he was treated poorly.

Strange how those who demanded that "anything but the play-offs" was failure for Yates are now happy to be in the depths with Johnson so long as we better last year's fourth-bottom finish.
Expectations are based on circumstances. The "must be playoffs or else" was based on wanting to maintain the level Yates got us too, which was play offs.

Unfortunately the state he and Buckle left us in means we are rebuilding. People want play offs but understand that after almost going out of business in non League it will take time.

We are currently 16th in L2.

Let's look back to 2009, the first year back in L2 after relegation from L1.

2009/10: 22nd
2010/11: 17th
2011/12: 6th
2012/13: 5th
2013/14: 17th
2014/15: 23rd
2016/17: 21st
2017/18: 16th currently.

The first two L2 seasons where Yates took over to rebuild after Allen and relegation we came 22nd and 17th.

So far, the first two seasons back in L2 where Gary is rebuilding from Buckle we are on track for 21st and 16th - so much the same.

Currently on track for our third highest finish in 8 seasons. The aim of the rebuild under Gary is play offs. As it was under Yates. His rebuild saw us go from 22nd to 6th in two seasons. If Gary gets play off next season it will be 21st to play offs in two seasons. So almost identical.

Yates wasn't sacked for coming 17th in the year before play offs as the rebuild was still in progress. The same applies to Gary currently in 16th.

Next season is the make or break one. As far as I can recall none of our managers in L2 have gone more than two whole seasons without getting in the play offs.

Cotterill did it in third full season. Ward in second full season. Yates in second full season. So if Gary doesn't do it next season then he is performing badly.
Rulistening
Del Boy wrote:
Rulistening wrote: Very disappointed how we have collapsed. It started so well, guess the injuries will be blamed but i dont fully believe that they would de-rail a season to this extent.
We had an appalling start didn't we?? Something like one win in the first seven league matches. And it hasn't got much better.
I meant performances mainly, thats my bad as i didn't mention it in that post, i blame it on being so late i didnt notice :oops:

At least a few of our losses to begin with we looked in the game APART from the 2 goals in 2 minutes problem which haunted us for a while. But we looked a very solid team, now however we do look like we're in a spot of bother
Del Boy
Rulistening wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
Rulistening wrote: Very disappointed how we have collapsed. It started so well, guess the injuries will be blamed but i dont fully believe that they would de-rail a season to this extent.
We had an appalling start didn't we?? Something like one win in the first seven league matches. And it hasn't got much better.
I meant performances mainly, thats my bad as i didn't mention it in that post, i blame it on being so late i didnt notice :oops:

At least a few of our losses to begin with we looked in the game APART from the 2 goals in 2 minutes problem which haunted us for a while. But we looked a very solid team, now however we do look like we're in a spot of bother
Yeah that's a fair point. It certainly looked like we could develop into a fair side but sadly we've gone backwards.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
Ben2 wrote:But unless we finish top of the league every year these people will moan no matter who we sign.

They honestly cannot see the incremental step forward that this season has been. Last year we looked doomed, this year we’re looking up the table. They cannot see the improvement in player.

The same moaning minority who chased Yates out that led directly to our relegation - they’d do the same with GJ if they could. Thank good they’re not in charge!!
Can't speak for anyone else but I wanted Yates to stay. Thought he was treated poorly.

Strange how those who demanded that "anything but the play-offs" was failure for Yates are now happy to be in the depths with Johnson so long as we better last year's fourth-bottom finish.
Expectations are based on circumstances. The "must be playoffs or else" was based on wanting to maintain the level Yates got us too, which was play offs.

Unfortunately the state he and Buckle left us in means we are rebuilding. People want play offs but understand that after almost going out of business in non League it will take time.

We are currently 16th in L2.

Let's look back to 2009, the first year back in L2 after relegation from L1.

2009/10: 22nd
2010/11: 17th
2011/12: 6th
2012/13: 5th
2013/14: 17th
2014/15: 23rd
2016/17: 21st
2017/18: 16th currently.

The first two L2 seasons where Yates took over to rebuild after Allen and relegation we came 22nd and 17th.

So far, the first two seasons back in L2 where Gary is rebuilding from Buckle we are on track for 21st and 16th - so much the same.

Currently on track for our third highest finish in 8 seasons. The aim of the rebuild under Gary is play offs. As it was under Yates. His rebuild saw us go from 22nd to 6th in two seasons. If Gary gets play off next season it will be 21st to play offs in two seasons. So almost identical.

Yates wasn't sacked for coming 17th in the year before play offs as the rebuild was still in progress. The same applies to Gary currently in 16th.

Next season is the make or break one. As far as I can recall none of our managers in L2 have gone more than two whole seasons without getting in the play offs.

Cotterill did it in third full season. Ward in second full season. Yates in second full season. So if Gary doesn't do it next season then he is performing badly.
This is an excellent analysis, just shows how poor we've been over the last year years, largely below expectation. Big improvement required next season from GJ but the indicators are that we will improve yet again.