Mo eisa

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
We don't NEED to sell, so we should accept no less than £1m unless he basically does a Mahrez and demands to go.

If we don't need to sell and want to keep him, slap a silly price tag on him and see if anyone bites.
THECHOIRBOY
The impressive thing about him is he is clinical.

That's not trainable and that's why I think he definitely could go up a level or two and still score. I think anything 500 plus with big sell ons locked in and they'd consider
ctfc-fan
£1m
Red&WhiteArmy
Definitely got to hold out for a million quid for him with two years left on his contract still this Summer. The transfer fees have gone nuts in the Premier league, so that has to transfer down through the leagues surely.
Robin
I'm sorry but we won't get £1 million, PB said we don't need to sell for £100k or £200k, I'd be surprised if we turned down £500k. That said, how many league one sides could pay £500k for a league two player? We are basically looking at the likes of Barnsley, Peterborough, Bolton, Brentford, Bristol City etc. to take a gamble on him. I know Middlesbrough were looking at him and they could certainly pay that for a prospect so that's probably our best hope.

Remember Peterborough paid £425,000 for Jack Marriott from Luton last summer similar sort of fee I'd imagine.
Shade
But if he scores another 10 goals in the next 3 months it's going to be a case of at least 2 clubs in a bidding war for a young player that has banged in 25 goals in his first season in pro football. Anything less than 7 figures and a decent % sell on is us looking desperate.

Think of the players that have gone for around a million...Mo has incredible potential given his age and this being his first season at the level. Hopefully he'll stay and fire us back into L1 next season, anyway.
Malabus
Talk from the terraces, we refused a lower six figure sum from Oxford United in January.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Talk from the terraces, we refused a lower six figure sum from Oxford United in January.
Poxy bid. Rightly turned down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I appreciate everyone’s views, but what I was saying is - is there a benchmark? A player knocking in 20 (hopefully!) goals in an average league two side and being snapped up??
Nathan Ellington. £1.2m Rovers to Wigan.

Zamora £1.5m Brighton to Spurs.

Can't think of any moves since then.
longmover
The prem and championship clubs don't want to miss out on the next 'British' big thing, it works wonders for their PR. if Mo gets 20+ no reason why we cant ask for £2mill
Shade
Eisa is Sudanese, however. But a goalscorer is a goalscorer, and he's a natural. Time will tell anyway, 3 months of this season left yet.

On another Eisa note, anyone know why he was winding the Vale fans up after his first two goals? Seemed to make a real point of celebrating in front of them. Now, I'm not massively fond of them myself but it seemed odd as he doesn't seem like someone who would do that normally.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ellington and Zamora were what, ten years ago. So about £5m in today's money.
Robin
Didn’t Grimsby sell Omar Bogle to Wigan for £500k last season? Marriott is the other comparison. Exeter sold Ollie Watkins for £800k.

If we sell Mo without a club record fee it would be very disappointing.
London Exile
The lad is a talent and on his way up. We sold Gillespie for around £400k and, like Robin said, Bogle was sold for £500k.
I’d put a starting value of £500k on Eisa.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Eisa is better than Bogle. And Bogle went cheap as Fenty wanted the cash. We don't need to sell. It will take £1m to get Eisa. We cannot replace him and losing him will be a major blow to next season's promotion campaign.
vickeryc
I agree with RCS. If we don't need to sell Mo, we shouldn't. Provided he carries on scoring which, barring injury he certainly would, his price would escalate anyway, then (unfortunately) it's a matter of waiting until so much is offered that we can't turn it down.

To be honest, I find all this potential transfer talk quite depressing because it sums up everything that's wrong with professional football. Mo is priceless to a club like Cheltenham, but sadly money talks. That's why small clubs like Cheltenham can never succeed beyond a certain point unless someone with a lot of cash comes along. Then, the whole nature of the club is likely to change. Or worse... (Rushden, et al)
vickeryc
I don't think you quite got my point, Ben. I obviously wouldn't want to see Mo (or Cheltenham) stay in league 2 forever, but I reluctantly accept it's inevitable that he'll leave at some point. It's a question of when.

He's only been with us for half a season and done really well so far, yet already people are resigned to him leaving almost before he's arrived. Cheltenham have given Mo his first big break and the club deserves to maximise whatever benefit it can get, both in terms of goals and, later on, transfer fee/ sell-on clauses, etc. Like I said, all things being equal, he will carry on scoring and his valuation will increase. Win-win.

Quite when the best time for him to be sold, only time will tell. However, for the time being I'd rather enjoy watching him score and assist goals rather than speculate on his seemingly imminent departure, which is a depressing thought for any long-suffering fan. To reiterate, I wasn't saying the club should stand in the way of Mo's progress indefinitely, but it would be daft not to capitalise as much as possible from a prolific talent that has been nurtured here at Whaddon Road.
Robin
I think it depends on which clubs come in for him, I'd say it's fairly easily to dismiss a low bid from Oxford if there is truth but if say Peterborough or Wigan come in with a decent offer of £500k it would be hard because those clubs have Championship ambitions and play good football. Equally any Championship side would be hard to turn down if a decent offer is made.

Of course that doesn't mean we should accept the first offer which comes along, the money in the Championship now is crazy and I do feel with the right club we could be looking at more than £500k, perhaps even £750k.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
£500k is £500k whether it comes from Man City, Wigan or AFC Fylde. And £500k is not even close to prompt even an eyebrow twitch from the Board. Such a derisory offer would be met with stony silence and ignore out of hand.

Anyway, I would rather see Mo fire 20 goals in L2 next season and 20 in L1 for us the season after before even contemplating a £1m starting point for negotiation.
Robin
Whilst that's true the player himself also has some say in the matter if Championship football becomes an option I very much doubt he will stay, mid-table league one and we may be able to convince him promotion here with us is better for his long term career.
horlickfanclub
When div1 is offered he will be off to catch up with his brother.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:When div1 is offered he will be off to catch up with his brother.
Based upon what? If Malabus is correct we alreday turned down a six figure offer from Oxford albeit a low one. I have the impression Mo is happy here and will do what is best for his long term career, a promotion challenge here is certainly better than going somewhere like Oxford.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mo’s match ball photo in the Guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... grab-point" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
everyman
ctfc-fan wrote:£1m
Preston bought Louis Moult from M`well in jan.£450,000.and he had scored 50 goals for M`well.that is realistic.
Lord Elpuz
I first saw Mo play last summer in the friendly v Bishops Cleeve. Admittedly you would not expect Cleeve to put up too stiff a resistance, but in a blistering first half, Mo’s movement, accuracy and running got him a swift hat-trick. At half time I urged Paul Baker to give Mo a longer contract as Mo’s potential was so obvious. So obvious in fact, that a cluster of other clubs are now looking at him and as the season continues with Mo scoring more goals, his price will continue to rise as more clubs join the race to capture him. This is why I am appalled at the short sighted fools who have been calling for Gary Johnson's Head, because in Johnson we have a manager who understands the value of players and their potential and he won’t allow Mo to go prematurely, or for too low a price. Some of our previous managers have been far too naive when selling our players. As our club remains financially sound, we will not be pressured into selling too early and Johnson will ensure a bidding war favours Cheltenham Town FC, along with Mo and his agent ;)
Robin
everyman wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:£1m
Preston bought Louis Moult from M`well in jan.£450,000.and he had scored 50 goals for M`well.that is realistic.
How long did Moult have on his contract? I agree somewhere around £500k is probably realistic but it's not impossible to get a bit more if he continues scoring and multiple clubs become interested.
Shade
I think this is becoming increasingly futile. The likelihood is we'll never know any fee anyway as they all seem to be undisclosed these days.

As was said earlier, it's all ifs and buts. If Mo doesn't score again this season then his value won't rise, whatever that may be. If Mo scores another 15, then we should absolutely be holding out for £1m at least.

Difference between Moult and Eisa is that Moult is 2 years older and has been playing professional football for 3 years and his scoring ratio isn't as good as Mo's, who is in his first professional season. Indeed, Moult only got 16 in 39 for Wrexham in the NL, a lower standard than Eisa is currently playing at. Eisa has much more potential, and if we don't need to sell we should charge as much as possible for that potential.