The way forward

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
It's no point saying how why and si on, we are in a pickle so what do we as a club to get our way out of it?

We cannot do much in the way of players other than look for out of work journey men, but we could bring in knowhow and experience to guide MD?
Andy
If there are already hints at a lack of money to bring in new faces to try to save us in January window, there’ll be no money for a managers “guide” or Director of Football or anything like that and I can’t see anyone wanting to do it for free.

What the club need to start doing is face up to the fact we can’t be silenced or sweetened with announcements of “raising roof” etc when everyone knows that what money is available needs to be invested in ensuring League football next season. Be honest with the supporters please. Why are we suddenly saying that no money is available ( yes not necessarily the specifics of who got paid off what etc) but admit that last where it went or what you are saving / earmarking for ground and not squad etc to stop the bickering and banter so everyone can turn their attention to supporting etc. If you are setting aside 50k for raising roof or more, can we crowd find some / most of it again. All pull together and then that can go to the squad.

Back to the original idea of a guide for MD though? Anyone in mind? I can see some calls for a former manager perhaps ;) LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Way forward. Get someone in centre mid who can run and pass forward and attack sides from the gun.
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Way forward. Get someone in centre mid who can run and pass forward and attack sides from the gun.
For me that’s the crux of the problem we are getting completely overrun in the middle of the pitch.
I’d adopt a 3-5-2 with Forster alongsaide Mullins & Boyle and go with Broom and
Hussey as wing backs. Nige has been below par for me, I expected him to dominate games by bossing his opponents but what he gives us in winning the ball he loses by consistently wasting possession in deep and dangerous areas.
I’d put Tozer in with Maddox but the third cog in that wheel is where I’d struggle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Way forward. Get someone in centre mid who can run and pass forward and attack sides from the gun.
For me that’s the crux of the problem we are getting completely overrun in the middle of the pitch.
I’d adopt a 3-5-2 with Forster alongsaide Mullins & Boyle and go with Broom and
Hussey as wing backs. Nige has been below par for me, I expected him to dominate games by bossing his opponents but what he gives us in winning the ball he loses by consistently wasting possession in deep and dangerous areas.
I’d put Tozer in with Maddox but the third cog in that wheel is where I’d struggle.
Dawson or Thomas. Dawson has the tenacity and drive, and Thomas likes to get forward and shoot (plus he can put a penalty in the net).
London Exile
Dawson would probably be the choice but I was thinking more currently, with him being out injured, it would be a toss up between Clements or Thomas.
Ihearye
What ever the rights and wrongs of the situation. There is nothing that is going to improve too much until Jan at the earliest. So why don't we just buckle up for a bumpy ride for a couple of months and support whoever MD puts out on the pitch
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:Dawson would probably be the choice but I was thinking more currently, with him being out injured, it would be a toss up between Clements or Thomas.
Thomas please. Runs forward and can win a header.
darreno
Thomas is the only option Duff has now, but what must he be thinking? He is clearly last choice in CM, for whatever reason.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
darreno wrote:Thomas is the only option Duff has now, but what must he be thinking? He is clearly last choice in CM, for whatever reason.
Two goals in all comps. Joint with Broom and Varney (V’s both League).

With Duku gone, Dawson injured, Mooney benched, Jones persona non grata, we can’t afford to freeze out yet another of our few goal scorers.
Shade
Nige has shown what he's best at. Winning the ball. He then needs somebody that can play the ball to lay it off to very close to him. However, we have seen that he can pass a ball very well at times which leads me to think that he is having somewhat of a crisis of confidence. He often starts games not very well and gets better as they go on, indicating he's a nervous starter. But that is going longer and longer into games. Whether it's a lack of confidence in those around him or that he's going to make mistakes himself...probably both.

If we don't have the midfield to attack then quite simply we've got to find ways around that until the next transfer window and then hope the manager can get what he needs. 5 at the back with wing-backs - the formation that the squad seemed to be put together for - is surely the way forward?! As London Exile mentioned, Forster, Boyle and Mullins at the back should be a very solid base. Get the wing-backs to try and provide the width and then get one defensive midfielder to sweep across in front of the back 3. That leaves 4 players to get at the opposition. I don't care who plays where but we need at least one big man to win the long punts forward from defence, and we need a couple of others in and around them to pick up the scraps. It won't look good but we've had not looking good for a while now and what we need is points. The 7 stay back and defend, the other 4 stay up and attack. If the oppo want to throw extra men forward then fine, that leaves us a man over for when it gets humped back up the other end. We'll win some, we'll lose some...but at least we'll win some.
Sprout Picker
Shade wrote:Nige has shown what he's best at. Winning the ball. He then needs somebody that can play the ball to lay it off to very close to him. However, we have seen that he can pass a ball very well at times which leads me to think that he is having somewhat of a crisis of confidence. He often starts games not very well and gets better as they go on, indicating he's a nervous starter. But that is going longer and longer into games. Whether it's a lack of confidence in those around him or that he's going to make mistakes himself...probably both.

If we don't have the midfield to attack then quite simply we've got to find ways around that until the next transfer window and then hope the manager can get what he needs. 5 at the back with wing-backs - the formation that the squad seemed to be put together for - is surely the way forward?! As London Exile mentioned, Forster, Boyle and Mullins at the back should be a very solid base. Get the wing-backs to try and provide the width and then get one defensive midfielder to sweep across in front of the back 3. That leaves 4 players to get at the opposition. I don't care who plays where but we need at least one big man to win the long punts forward from defence, and we need a couple of others in and around them to pick up the scraps. It won't look good but we've had not looking good for a while now and what we need is points. The 7 stay back and defend, the other 4 stay up and attack. If the oppo want to throw extra men forward then fine, that leaves us a man over for when it gets humped back up the other end. We'll win some, we'll lose some...but at least we'll win some.
Good post Shade, I wonder if with the late introduction of Forster on Saturday that Duffo might be coming to the same conclusion.
longmover
I think we'll click soon and win back to back games.