Cheltenham Town v Wycombe Wanderers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/vWycombeH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
Adebayo Akinfenwa just fell over ---------- most of the south west and south Wales reporting an earthquake
art vandalay
Two embarrassing goals conceded. We had possession in or around our own penalty area, gave it up and they scored straight away.
Alf
So many other teams just look better organized than us. Another lackluster performance. Does this make me a moaner? I’m only saying what I see or should I be saying ‘another great performance spoilt by a biased referee and shitloads of bad luck’.
Ralph
Ok, that was a poor performance. Were we actually at home? really quiet from the CTFC fans. All i heard was the WW fans today. Consolidation this year, best we can do
art vandalay
I think that can be added to the depressingly long list of poor home games I've seen this season. We gifted them two goals and I don't think we managed a serious effort all game. Rather annoyingly, I had to miss either today or last Saturday due to other commitments - I chose to miss last week, most of our players chose to miss today.
Malabus
That 2nd half was incredibly bad.
Sprout Picker
Ben2 wrote:Poor all round. Poor Wycombe side beating a worse Cheltenham side aided and abetted by an even worse referee.
Sums it up.
Rulistening
Not a great game. Rodon struggled to get into the game and mainly Akinfenwa, Morrell had an absolute stinker, very disappointed that Atangana didn't see any action today

But we do have to keep in mind that our current run of games are pretty much all against auto promotion chasing teams. There's a reason they are up there and we aren't and its consistency.
Alf
We’re consistent. :lol: :lol:
Jon Palmer
Video with Gary Johnson now here: http://bit.ly/vWycombeH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
Ben2 wrote:If Wycombe are promotion quality then what’s happened to the game?
Wycombe were playing in 3rd gear, if they needed to score they would of.
drgm
Where was Atangana today? We need our best eleven out for every game.
Why push Winchester to right back to make room for Sellars? Was that really going to make
things better?
Running out of patience I'm afraid.
Still, mustn't complain. I'll just pay my 20 quid and put up with it -for now.

We mustn't expect to get any kind of result against a team in the top half. Seems
to be the mood around here these days. No wonder we are bottom third.
longmover
Malabus wrote:That 2nd half was incredibly bad.
i've no idea of any gameplay whatsoever in the 2nd half, if the two strikers who hadn't had a sniff all game cant score why bring on a 3rd? The manor of these defeats is becoming hard to bare.
Robin
We were the better team first half, Wycombe scored with their first effort then we just gave up. I like GJ his record speaks for itself but his subs today had no impact and he kept Pell on who was having a stinker, Nige gets dropped and we play Morrell who had little impact on the game, just so strange.

Did we even register a shot in the entire second half? First have Scott Brown the busier keeper and looked his jittery self so criminal not to even test him in the second half.
longmover
We towered over them in size as well but didn't seem to use this as a tactic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Where was Atangana today? We need our best eleven out for every game.
Why push Winchester to right back to make room for Sellars? Was that really going to make
things better?

We mustn't expect to get any kind of result against a team in the top half. Seems
I expected a win as I do every home game.

As for paying £20; that is the problem facing most of the division. Too expensive for League Two football, especially mid table League Two football.

This season is a write off but is progress from last season. Wouldn’t blame anyone who decides to save their money for the new season.
drgm
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
drgm wrote:Where was Atangana today? We need our best eleven out for every game.
things better?

As for paying £20; that is the problem facing most of the division. Too expensive for League Two football, especially mid table League Two football.

This season is a write off but is progress from last season. Wouldn’t blame anyone who decides to save their money for the new season.
We haven't been mid table at any point this season. We are bottom third and underachieving thanks to poor tactics and team selection. How long before the penny drops with you guys?
Benctfc
As I said on Tuesday in 4 games time we could well be in a the relegation battle as I can't see us getting more than 3 points max from those games.

I'm not going to moan about the game and the usual dreadful tactics (Dropping Nige) as I will be put down as being a bad fan. Has anyone got the stats of wins draws and losses of us under Johnson since joining the FL?
Last edited by Benctfc on 17 Feb 2018, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
longmover
We've won more games (this season) with Cranston.
Jerry St Clair
longmover wrote:We've won more games (this season) with Cranston.
Is that actually a fact?
theidlerich
I'm beginning to believe that the earthquake of the welsh coast may have have reverberated around Whaddon Road and that resulted in a rather woeful performance. It may explain why so many of our players kept falling over! To have only three shots on target - I only remember two ultra soft efforts - is a rather damming indictment of our predicament. Why we keep to the "hoof and hope" method [forget the hope bit...] is depressing to say the least when we have a couple potentially capable of receiving the ball at their feet and trying to go past their defence [they do have the skill] I shall never know. I believe we will be in a potential dogfight fairly soon unless team tactics and squad selection is stabilised [read sorted!]. Can't single out any one particular player for being below par, but just two soft errors and we are two down and no way back. At least it was dry and good to see the sun!

[ps a family watched to-days game for the first time for many years - their small son sported a Villa shirt. They are unlikely to return anytime in the near future and commiserated with us having to watch CTFC again!]
Alf
I don’t think it’s just the results that upsets fans. If we were a decent side playing some attractive football but just not getting the rub of the green, I think fans would be reasonably happy. It’s when money is being spent on bringing players in but there appears to be no game plan, or if there is the players don’t appear to be able to follow it resulting in mediocre performances, that is when fans get a bit restless. This time last year we were writing off last season with promises of big changes in the summer etc; and here we are with no real evidence improvement and already we’re talking about improvements next season. I actually think our fans are some of the most patient in the league!
Robin
We largely have competition for places now and come the summer I can't imagine we will be releasing many of the current crop, with 3-4 tidy additions there is no reason we cannot challenge. Wycombe are operating on a smaller wage budget than us (bottom eight according to their own fans) and have been making steady progress in recent seasons.

We played fine the first half and the goals seem to knock the confidence out of us but we were clueless in the second half no lack of effort but lack of ideas and cohesion.
Alf
We may have competition for places but you wouldn’t think so. I’ve always said that you can’t always make average players into great players but if you can get 100% out of everyone you have a chance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
things better?

We haven't been mid table at any point this season. We are bottom third and underachieving thanks to poor tactics and team selection. How long before the penny drops with you guys?
Agree we are underachieving. As I have stated all season we should be higher and home defeats vs Yeovil, Newport have been abominable and Barnet draw was shocking with Pell inexplicably up front before subs were made which changed the game. Penny fully dropped.

24 team league equals three thirds of eight teams.

So bottom third is 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 21st, 20th, 19th, 18th, 17th.

We are currently 16th, having dropped a couple of places after fluctuating from 13th to 15th in recent weeks.

9th to 16th is the middle third and we have barely been lower than 16th, especially after we started our season properly after the first seven games.

So for you to suggest we are bottom third is demonstrably incorrect. Whether a deliberate error or just incompetence on your behalf I don’t know but it is factually wrong; we have been in the middle third pretty much continuously for months.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I don’t think it’s just the results that upsets fans. If we were a decent side playing some attractive football but just not getting the rub of the green, I think fans would be reasonably happy. It’s when money is being spent on bringing players in but there appears to be no game plan, or if there is the players don’t appear to be able to follow it resulting in mediocre performances, that is when fans get a bit restless. This time last year we were writing off last season with promises of big changes in the summer etc; and here we are with no real evidence improvement and already we’re talking about improvements next season. I actually think our fans are some of the most patient in the league!
As Baker said, hardly any money has been spent bringing players in. Gary had money to spend in January but didn’t and the loans are barely costing us anything. Unless you are accusing Baker of lying in his interview?
Oldun
RCS, the voice of reason. Well said. Whilst today was disappointing again there is the need for a bit of context. We started well and for 35 mins or so were as good if not better than play off team. Then a push by the Beast is not given by the (appalling) ref and we are one down There follows an awful mistake by Winnie and Joe and its game over. No complaints abut the subs as it was logical to bring on striker for Samni who had not done a lot wrong but not made much of an impression on WW defence. Also good idea to try Sellars s something new. Winnie is not a round peg in square hole at all as he is comfortable at right back and so that can be set aside.
Considering the time wasting and the awful bias of the ref the team battled on well. No one is shrinking away from a challenge and in Graham they have someone who cares fights and tries to galvanise others.
WW were just too good and too wise once ahead. The ref aided their time wasting and gamesmanship by one of the most inept performances by an official for ages. E.g. Harry booked when for the second time in a few mins he was penalised for nothing and their guy let off when exactly the same thing happened late in the game. Two free kicks against us were given for their guys diving and as for the time wasting..... Their first half goal celebrations both lasted over two minutes and there was one minute added on to the half. Likewise in the second half although the ref kept telling them to be quicker, he took no action and just three mins were added. He was just one of those refs determined to give the home team nothing. Also, as said elsewhere, the Beast did as he liked and the ref was afraid of him.
Disappointing but not the end of the world. Still well clear of the bottom few and after Luton Notts and Swindle some easier games to see us to safer waters.
No need to press the panic button, but nearly had to find how to put up a smiley face when one punter suggested Grant McCann could come here when he is sacked by Peterborough Utd. What a great idea. Prefer the experienced and successful guy we have now, the one who has built success elsewhere as well as at WR. Anyone else any bright ideas I wonder?
CTFC03
You can't blame the refs for 4 wins in almost half the games, we were beaten by the better side.
nickyjordan
Oldun wrote:RCS, the voice of reason. Well said. Whilst today was disappointing again there is the need for a bit of context. We started well and for 35 mins or so were as good if not better than play off team. Then a push by the Beast is not given by the (appalling) ref and we are one down There follows an awful mistake by Winnie and Joe and its game over. No complaints abut the subs as it was logical to bring on striker for Samni who had not done a lot wrong but not made much of an impression on WW defence. Also good idea to try Sellars s something new. Winnie is not a round peg in square hole at all as he is comfortable at right back and so that can be set aside.
Considering the time wasting and the awful bias of the ref the team battled on well. No one is shrinking away from a challenge and in Graham they have someone who cares fights and tries to galvanise others.
WW were just too good and too wise once ahead. The ref aided their time wasting and gamesmanship by one of the most inept performances by an official for ages. E.g. Harry booked when for the second time in a few mins he was penalised for nothing and their guy let off when exactly the same thing happened late in the game. Two free kicks against us were given for their guys diving and as for the time wasting..... Their first half goal celebrations both lasted over two minutes and there was one minute added on to the half. Likewise in the second half although the ref kept telling them to be quicker, he took no action and just three mins were added. He was just one of those refs determined to give the home team nothing. Also, as said elsewhere, the Beast did as he liked and the ref was afraid of him.
Disappointing but not the end of the world. Still well clear of the bottom few and after Luton Notts and Swindle some easier games to see us to safer waters.
No need to press the panic button, but nearly had to find how to put up a smiley face when one punter suggested Grant McCann could come here when he is sacked by Peterborough Utd. What a great idea. Prefer the experienced and successful guy we have now, the one who has built success elsewhere as well as at WR. Anyone else any bright ideas I wonder?
Cotterill might not be at Birmingham much longer if they keep losing?!
Ihearye

This season is a write off but is progress from last season. Wouldn’t blame anyone who decides to save their money for the new season.[/quote]

We haven't been mid table at any point this season. We are bottom third and underachieving thanks to poor tactics and team selection. How long before the penny drops with you guys?[/quote]

Agree we are underachieving. As I have stated all season we should be higher and home defeats vs Yeovil, Newport have been abominable and Barnet draw was shocking with Pell inexplicably up front before subs were made which changed the game. Penny fully dropped.

We are currently 16th, having dropped a couple of places after fluctuating from 13th to 15th in recent weeks.

9th to 16th is the middle third and we have barely been lower than 16th, especially after we started our season properly after the first seven games.

So for you to suggest we are bottom third is demonstrably incorrect. Whether a deliberate error or just incompetence on your behalf I don’t know but it is factually wrong; we have been in the middle third pretty much continuously for months.[/quote]

Hmmm Just as well for you that someone threw you a life line and said bottom third and you were able to contive to call us mid table. Use divide by 2, 4 , 8 etc or even just leave it as a straightforward league, and we are not midtable and haven't been mid table. Fact is we are now a point further away from mid table than we were at15:00 on Saturday! The voice of reason ??? Work the numbers to best suit uyour argument, despite the simple facts. Mid table is 47 points at the minute. To make it easier for you and your BFF, midday is 12:00 not 16:00, 16:00 is getting towards dinner time. For somone who expects accuracy, hope that analogy helps.
Just thought I would tidy that one up and hope some can stop claiming we are mid table.

As for the easier games ahead, forgive me if I dont get too excited about our record against 'easier' teams.
Ihearye
Oldun wrote:RCS, the voice of reason. Well said. Whilst today was disappointing again there is the need for a bit of context. We started well and for 35 mins or so were as good if not better than play off team. Then a push by the Beast is not given by the (appalling) ref and we are one down There follows an awful mistake by Winnie and Joe and its game over. No complaints abut the subs as it was logical to bring on striker for Samni who had not done a lot wrong but not made much of an impression on WW defence. Also good idea to try Sellars s something new. Winnie is not a round peg in square hole at all as he is comfortable at right back and so that can be set aside.
It does seem somewhat strange, that some supporters believe that we are not capable of attracting a good new manager. After all we attracted GJ who you hold in such high esteem! So what is to say we could not look to find a new fresh face in the summer to boost the club a bit and put some life into it.
Was looking for a smiley face to put on for all the reasons you put down for our defeat yesterday. Simple fact was we were not good enough. After 35 minutes, the score was 0-0, I THINK we may have had one shot on target in that time. Didint have my stop watch out counting, but happy to be corrected. Oh and you forgot to point out we have 2 players injured ! If that is not a good enough reason to be below average, what is. Fail to see how anyone is even mildly shocked and the tactics of teh man mountain, his game is nothing if non consistent. If teh training staff and management could not work out a way to nulify him then that is not his problem He did no different this time than any other time, so the ref can't be to blame. (oh and don't forget your support of not attacking people on this forum, you don't know what pressures they may be under).
I don't see or read anyone in panic mode, just some who see a team and manager who look as if they have lost their way.

In the mode of the BBC reality check - please answer the following simple questions.
Who scouts new players ?
Who signs the players ?
Who decides on contracts ?
Who coaches the team ?
Who picks the team ?
Whose players don't put in a perfromance more often than not ?
Who has failled to have full cover for positions ?
Could anyone do any better, I don't know. It's not my job to identify potential new managers in the summer. That is not what I am employed to do. But as you say, there are two teams contriving to give the bunch near the bottom and easier ride this year. Which is just as well, for us and the others.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:I expected a win as I do every home game.

We haven't been mid table at any point this season. We are bottom third and underachieving thanks to poor tactics and team selection. How long before the penny drops with you guys?[/quote]

So for you to suggest we are bottom third is demonstrably incorrect. Whether a deliberate error or just incompetence on your behalf I don’t know but it is factually wrong; we have been in the middle third pretty much continuously for months.[/quote]

Hmmm Just as well for you that someone threw you a life line and said bottom third and you were able to contive to call us mid table. Use divide by 2, 4 , 8 etc or even just leave it as a straightforward league, and we are not midtable and haven't been mid table. Fact is we are now a point further away from mid table than we were at15:00 on Saturday! The voice of reason ??? Work the numbers to best suit uyour argument, despite the simple facts. Mid table is 47 points at the minute. To make it easier for you and your BFF, midday is 12:00 not 16:00, 16:00 is getting towards dinner time. For somone who expects accuracy, hope that analogy helps.
Just thought I would tidy that one up and hope some can stop claiming we are mid table.

As for the easier games ahead, forgive me if I dont get too excited about our record against 'easier' teams.[/quote]

What is mid table then if not the middle third of the league? 9th-16th seems pretty middle to me. Unless you believe only the teams in 12th and 13th are mid table!
ctfc-fan
On Tuesday, the team selection was agreed on here as the strongest one and we lost. Who's fault is that one?
Ihearye
So now middle means middle third. But why third? Why don't you divide by 4, by 2? Since when did thirds become the correct way of dividing? In your theory then if we drop one more place we are a bottom table team? Nonsense, mid is exactly what it is, the middle. You can't change that to suit your argument. Yes 12 is middle of table, just as noon is the middle of the day. Or do you describe midday as anywhere between 8 and 4 in the afternoon?