Embarrassing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Oldun
Q 1 Is GJ building for next season?

A Yes

Q 2 How do you know Winnie is stalling?

Q 3 How do you know Sellars will move on?

Q 4 If both leave how do you know that both will not be replaced by better options?

(Not that I suspect that you are not in full knowledge of all the facts re the above players)
Benctfc
Can somone explain how having 7 loan players is building for next season?
Oldun
We have brought in new players and will no doubt use loans again next year, possibly some of the boys that are here now, some not. In that way GJ is able to assess which ones he want next season and which ones to discard. Its called forward planning
Del Boy
Building for next season is such a meaningless phrase. Every manager is building for the future.

It's how successful that building is that matters. Last season we were building for the future yet we've had another disappointing season.
London Exile
Oldun wrote:Q 1 Is GJ building for next season?

A Yes

Q 2 How do you know Winnie is stalling?

Q 3 How do you know Sellars will move on?

Q 4 If both leave how do you know that both will not be replaced by better options?

(Not that I suspect that you are not in full knowledge of all the facts re the above players)
We’ll just have to wait and see on all fronts Oldun.
I hope both players are here next season, if Sellars can add finishing to his game then he’s a real talent.
I’d be more than happy to eat humble pie if Johnson led us to promotion next year and I’d certainly not hide from inevitable ridicule that some of the forum members love to dish out.
Oldun
I am sorry I misunderstood you. "Wait and see" is different to "Winnie is stalling etc etc" I thought you were in possession of facts, your statement was so clear.
Robin
Ben2 wrote:Moving back on to topic....

Post of the year so far is the hilarious logic-fail by LE who suggests we should want shot of Johnson because people wanted shot of Yates.

Let’s just work that through in all it’s majesty,

A small moaning-minority wanted shot of Yates.
We got shot of Yates.
As a direct consequence we were relegated.
I know what - let’s repeat that again with Johnson.

Football fans are always a strange bunch but sometimes I do question what this site has become home to.

Anyway, back off topic, the midday kick off yesterday played havoc with my viewing lines, damned sun at its peak
There was a lot more discord towards Yates than there is to GJ. So far the only people who seem to want GJ to go are Del Boy and Horlick plus around 20 kids who chanted at the end of the Wycombe game.
Red Duke
If you haven't got the money to buy promotion, you have do it the hard way. Maybe it would make sense to compare how long has it taken for Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe to go from winning on the last day of season to avoid relegation to a promotion slot before calling for a change of manager.

If WW gain promotion this season it will have taken 4 years. Surely we should GJ the same amount of time before calling for his head?
Robin
Both Ward and SC took three seasons to get promoted, Yates took two seasons to challenge but had £500k war chest handed to him I seriously doubt any of those who chanted for GJ to go yesterday were around when SC or JW were.
Ralph
Those kids are probably even wondering what SC and JW means
Lord Elpuz
Just when things look to be improving, we take another step backwards, as the decent Colchester and Port Vale performances testify, followed by dismal defeats. The inconsistency has been the backdrop to this season and left us languishing lower mid-table.

I am as confused as anyone about Nigel not making the starting 11 each game, whereas Morrell seems to be a first name on the team sheet when he’s available. Is it possible that Morrell is being courted as a summer permanent signing? Is it possible that Nigel has been playing on with a niggling doubt about his own full fitness? Is it remotely possible that all the loan players we have, and they cannot all be in the match day squad, has created a de-stabilising effect on the team?

Gary Johnson has spoken in recent pre-match press meetings about having to let players know they won’t be in the 11 starters, and also to those who won’t make the match day squad, and how important it is for those not playing in League games to remain focused and ready to come in when needed, and not to throw any dollies out the pram, because they will be judged on that. Is this an indication that there is unrest amongst some players?

Last season our squad was regarded as being too light, whereas this season we have too many loans and the squad number is high. There has also been talk about some more players going out on loan, but it hasn’t happened.

There is pressure on a manager in situations like this and coupled with a run of very inconsistent and/or poor form, and the questions inevitably begin to pour in from all sources.

Now is the time for some very decisive action by the manager. We know Gary Johnson has the experience, we just need the evidence that he still has the solutions to the conundrums that we can all see manifesting.

I want to see some decent performances in what remains of the season and enough points to get us at least half way up the League and I will be happy for now. If we achieve that with a bit of panache, then Mr Johnson is the man to take us forward into next season’s assault, but if we struggle through the remainder of the season, I suspect he will call it a day, himself. No manager wants to leave on a sour note and to be fair, Gary Johnson does not deserve that, and he definitely doesn’t deserve the booing either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:Can somone explain how having 7 loan players is building for next season?
Paul Baker explained perfectly in his interview. The loans are cheap so money is in the bank. And we don’t need to pay them wages in May, June and July.

So we have more money to spend in the summer.

I then ask you this: would you rather buy players in January when there are fewer players available and inflated prices, meaning you would have to pay wages through May, June and July. OR, would you rather buy players in July when there are more players available, less inflated prices, and saved money giving you a bigger budget?

I would choose the latter, and think that spending the spring identifying targets and building up a decent budget to bring in quality in the summer is a good way of building for next season.
Sprout Picker
Red Duke wrote:If you haven't got the money to buy promotion, you have do it the hard way. Maybe it would make sense to compare how long has it taken for Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe to go from winning on the last day of season to avoid relegation to a promotion slot before calling for a change of manager.

If WW gain promotion this season it will have taken 4 years. Surely we should GJ the same amount of time before calling for his head?
Well said. Sadly, as somebody else posted yesterday, patience from certain 'supporters' seems to be in short supply.

Mind you, I remember some clown on here saying SC had taken us as far as he could before leading us to promotion via the play-offs the following season so it's not necessarily a new phenomenon!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
Red Duke wrote:If you haven't got the money to buy promotion, you have do it the hard way. Maybe it would make sense to compare how long has it taken for Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe to go from winning on the last day of season to avoid relegation to a promotion slot before calling for a change of manager.

Well said. Sadly, as somebody else posted yesterday, patience from certain 'supporters' seems to be in short supply.

Mind you, I remember some clown on here saying SC had taken us as far as he could before leading us to promotion via the play-offs the following season so it's not necessarily a new phenomenon!
It is funny how on the one hand some people moan about being too short-term and going window to window yet on the other hand the same people don’t want to give a manager time and want him gone if success and transformation is not achieved in a year.
The Old TomCat
Interesting exchange of opinions.
Cheltenham look unlikely to be relegated although still mathematically in the frame.
But same argument applies to a play off spot.
They are 13 pts from relegation and 15 pts from promotion play-off.
Sky Bet's current prediction is that Cheltenham will finish season with 55 pts in 16th place [mid-table]

Sky Bet's computer forecast Cheltenham's results for rest of season:
Luton Town 4 0 Cheltenham Town
Cheltenham Town 1 1 Notts County
Swindon Town 2 1 Cheltenham Town
Cheltenham Town 2 0 Chesterfield
Crawley Town 1 0 Cheltenham Town
Cheltenham Town 2 1 Carlisle United
Exeter City 2 0 Cheltenham Town
Cheltenham Town 1 0 Morecambe
Cheltenham Town 2 0 Forest Green Rovers
Cambridge United 1 0 Cheltenham Town
Cheltenham Town 1 0 Coventry City
Crewe Alexandra 2 1 Cheltenham Town

Obviously I would disagree with home win v FGR. The ElGlosico matches normally end in a score draw. And also last game of season I provisionally forecast an away win for Cheltenham v Crewe.
Therefore an extra point but remaining in 16th spot.

BTW Sky Bet forecast that FGR would finish season at 22nd in table with 43 pts.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/chel ... /predicted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THECHOIRBOY
Whilst 7 loans is a lot, if people like it or not, it is here to stay. Unfortunately, clubs in lower leagues I believe will continue to have 5 or 6 over the coming years for the reasons RCS says. Sadly, football is changing and the affinity you used to build with players as they stayed with you for 6 or 7 years is changing.

As for the current plight, I agree with likes of Red Duke and RCS.

Morrell also seems to have come in to a bit of criticism on threads. This surprises me as he would be one of the first people on my team sheet based on consistency through the season. Saturday was probably the worst I have seen him yet he was still not one of our worst players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Whilst 7 loans is a lot, if people like it or not, it is here to stay. Unfortunately, clubs in lower leagues I believe will continue to have 5 or 6 over the coming years for the reasons RCS says. Sadly, football is changing and the affinity you used to build with players as they stayed with you for 6 or 7 years is changing.

As for the current plight, I agree with likes of Red Duke and RCS.

Morrell also seems to have come in to a bit of criticism on threads. This surprises me as he would be one of the first people on my team sheet based on consistency through the season. Saturday was probably the worst I have seen him yet he was still not one of our worst players.
No need to credit me - I was only passing on the facts from Paul Baker etc.