Embarrassing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Pidgeee
The fans singing 'we want Johnson out'...

Never been so embarrassed to be a CTFC fan. Some of our fans seem to think we have some kind of right to success.

Yes, this season hasn't been great, but we are 16th, 12 points clear of relegation.

Grow up.
Player2 Has Joined
Pidgeee wrote:The fans singing 'we want Johnson out'...

Never been so embarrassed to be a CTFC fan. Some of our fans seem to think we have some kind of right to success.

Yes, this season hasn't been great, but we are 16th, 12 points clear of relegation.

Grow up.
Agree. I thought it was absolutely pathetic. Unfortunately seems to be a small minority with the loudest voice.
51/84
Manager out so who do they want

I agree we have no ambition this season as we gave everyone a 7 match start

Really who do they want in

Perhaps they need to look at why we have 7 loans and are giving other teams players the chance to develop
Be careful what you wish for
Robin
Agree, it was pathetic, a small group of young kids who have probably only been going a few seasons - I only assume they never saw Buckle, Yates, Allen etc.
Ralph
Robin wrote:Agree, it was pathetic, a small group of young kids who have probably only been going a few seasons - I only assume they never saw Buckle, Yates, Allen etc.
Yep, wasters the lot of em. Guess what kids, i'd rather have GJ in and you out :lol:
longmover
Robin wrote:Agree, it was pathetic, a small group of young kids who have probably only been going a few seasons - I only assume they never saw Buckle, Yates, Allen etc.
How do you know they have only been going a few seasons? They're reacting to what they have seen.
Robin
I'm assuming that because what's happening is nowhere near as bad as the Allen, Buckle eras or some of the seasons under Yates.
Player2 Has Joined
longmover wrote:
How do you know they have only been going a few seasons? They're reacting to what they have seen.
I assume the observation was made, based on the age of those involved...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bless ‘em. Just because they see manager merry go rounds in the Prem and the one click hiring and firing on computer games they want to play at being hard men. Pathetic.
longmover
They're just young supporters expressing themselves after what they have seen, lets be thankful we've got vocal young support at games (home and away). Lets not lambaste them too much eh.
Shade
About 20-30 chavs behind the goal. That's all. Unfortunately they're among the few CTFC fans on facebook, it seems.
London Exile
Didn’t join in the chanting and I don’t see the point of changing manager now but for what it’s worth I’d like to see a managerial change in the summer.
Under Johnson I don’t see us progressing and I’d question his hunger and appetite since returning after illness last season.
Who would I want? A young manager with fresh ideas like Mike Duff (or McCann if he gets the bullet a5 Posh)
In my opinion, as a club, we are right back to where we were in the last 18 months of Yates’ reign and plenty of supporters wanted him gone.
drgm
London Exile wrote:Didn’t join in the chanting and I don’t see the point of changing manager now but for what it’s worth I’d like to see a managerial change in the summer.
Under Johnson I don’t see us progressing and I’d question his hunger and appetite since returning after illness last season.
Who would I want? A young manager with fresh ideas like Mike Duff (or McCann if he gets the bullet a5 Posh)
In my opinion, as a club, we are right back to where we were in the last 18 months of Yates’ reign and plenty of supporters wanted him gone.
I agree with all this. I think the chanting is a bit ridiculous at this moment in time. I hope for a change in manager at
the end of the season otherwise the club will continue to drift. Have expectations sunk so low that we think no one
could do better than Gary?
CTFC03
4 wins in almost half a season is not acceptable and questions have to be asked about Johnson (Not necessarily sacking him as plenty worse out there) about his hunger, desire, team selections, subs etc. Last Saturday got it spot on with Nige and Adebayo making a massive difference but there's been a lot of mistakes this season and for me Nige does not get a fair crack at this club, he is absolutely quality and for me personally has not let us down, I get that he had a bad injury and sometimes it takes longer to get over it but he has to surely be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Benctfc
I don't want GJ gone at the moment but a parting of company in the summer would be best for all parties imo. If he doesn't go I can see season ticket sales being really poor lots of people have said they wont renew rightly or wrongly. He doesn't seem to have the same apetite for it he had when he first joined us so maybe he's had enough too and will walk away?
asl
What were they chanting a fortnight ago against Vale...?
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:What were they chanting a fortnight ago against Vale...?
That was pretty much my thought too, as I left.

(though Vale was actually last week!)
Jerry St Clair
longmover wrote:They're just young supporters expressing themselves after what they have seen, lets be thankful we've got vocal young support at games (home and away). Lets not lambaste them too much eh.
This ^

Actually, I suspect they were unleashing some frustration.”Johnson out”is just a bit more chant friendly than”Johnson, please play our best eleven in their strongest position with round pegs in round holes, and perhaps work on ironing out individual errors in certain players, perhaps while practising set pieces a bit more in training. Thanks, we still, sort of, believe in you.”
Jerry St Clair
Sprout Picker wrote:
asl wrote:What were they chanting a fortnight ago against Vale...?
That was pretty much my thought too, as I left.

(though Vale was actually last week!)
Stop being so pompous the pair of yez!

Football supporters will sing the managers name after a thumping home win and will chant for his head after an abject home defeat. Yes it’s fickle, but it’s aleays been thus and one of the reasons I love football. It takes you to the highest highs, and the lowest lows.
Oldun
Which square pegs were in round holes today?
Jerry St Clair
Oldun wrote:Which square pegs were in round holes today?
Dunno. Wasn’t there..

But are you denying that playing players out of position isn’t one of the biggest sources of frustration among supporters?
Oldun
Not denying anything Just asking a friendly question.

By the way, impressed with Ilias today.
drgm
Oldun wrote:Not denying anything Just asking a friendly question.

By the way, impressed with Ilias today.
Winchester at right back. Square peg in round hole to make way for Sellars while big Nige left on the bench.
Robin
Agree Ilias was very good today, looks a very good signing from what I've seen.
Artemis
Why does anyone want a hugely experienced and generally successful manager out. Our club made a profit of £178k last season on gates of what, just over three thousand? I'm not demanding huge losses so am delighted we are solvent and with a long term future. But honestly, we are a mid to lower league 2 club and that's exactly what we're getting. After the Buckle debacle be careful what you wish for.....

We were beaten by a very well drilled, and strong team today. They will go up. There's no shame in losing to them. And their support was fantastic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Why does anyone want a hugely experienced and generally successful manager out. Our club made a profit of £178k last season on gates of what, just over three thousand? I'm not demanding huge losses so am delighted we are solvent and with a long term future. But honestly, we are a mid to lower league 2 club and that's exactly what we're getting. After the Buckle debacle be careful what you wish for.....

We were beaten by a very well drilled, and strong team today. They will go up. There's no shame in losing to them. And their support was fantastic.
Maybe they are the type of people who can’t divide 24 by 3 or count to 8, or is drgm the only one that mathematically challenged?
Johnsons Red Army
Johnson IN!!!
Malabus
London Exile wrote:Didn’t join in the chanting and I don’t see the point of changing manager now but for what it’s worth I’d like to see a managerial change in the summer.
Great post, LE.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:Why does anyone want a hugely experienced and generally successful manager out. Our club made a profit of £178k last season on gates of what, just over three thousand? I'm not demanding huge losses so am delighted we are solvent and with a long term future. But honestly, we are a mid to lower league 2 club and that's exactly what we're getting. After the Buckle debacle be careful what you wish for.....

Maybe they are the type of people who can’t divide 24 by 3 or count to 8, or is drgm the only one that mathematically challenged?
LOL hang on to that one life line. Remind me again, what time is midday ? Or do you divide the day into thirds and say any time between 08:00 and 16:00 is midday ?.
Ihearye

Not sure about quoting the profit when we have no idea how the profit was made and maybe at what cost ? Who knows what opportunities we may have missed out on had we spent some of it. I certainly don't hence my reticence in using a profit as a measuring stick. As an example, I am sure there is a fair number of supporters who would argue that £5k on SB would have been a few poubds well spent and still posted a profit ?

I think the isuue some have, is looking forward to next year, should we always be looking back at what a manager has done. His record speaks for itself, but we can't live on past glories.

Myself, I would have put Nife on against the beast as a man marker. We may still have lost, but hey ho
art vandalay
I think our form and points return this season can be divided into 3 distinct blocks:

4 points from 7 games - to Newport (A) - definite relegation standard
18 points from 10 games - from Colchester (A) to Luton (H) - strong playoff / automatic promotion standard
17 points from 17 games - from Port Vale (A) - likely relegation standard

So, for most of the season, we've been producing likely relegation form and are relying on the points from Sept / Oct to currently keep us clear of the relegation pack. You could draw comparisons with the season we went down but I'd say there are notable differences. Back then our good spell was only over about 5 games, those results were lucky and mostly against poor teams; for the rest of the season we were shocking (under all 4 managers), the players were truly pathetic and the club was a mess. This season our good spell was more sustained and we proved ourselves against some of the league's better sides, while our bad spells have been nowhere near as calamitous but it has to be a concern that we've been so poor for most of the season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

LOL hang on to that one life line. Remind me again, what time is midday ? Or do you divide the day into thirds and say any time between 08:00 and 16:00 is midday ?.
Midday, the time 12 noon is 12:00. If I was meeting a friend somepoint during the middle of the day then I’d use a longer period of 11 til 3, assuming the day is distinct from night.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 18 Feb 2018, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote:I think our form and points return this season can be divided into 3 distinct blocks:

4 points from 7 games - to Newport (A) - definite relegation standard
18 points from 10 games - from Colchester (A) to Luton (H) - strong playoff / automatic promotion standard
17 points from 17 games - from Port Vale (A) - likely relegation standard

So, for most of the season, we've been producing likely relegation form and are relying on the points from Sept / Oct to currently keep us clear of the relegation pack. You could draw comparisons with the season we went down but I'd say there are notable differences. Back then our good spell was only over about 5 games, those results were lucky and mostly against poor teams; for the rest of the season we were shocking (under all 4 managers), the players were truly pathetic and the club was a mess. This season our good spell was more sustained and we proved ourselves against some of the league's better sides, while our bad spells have been nowhere near as calamitous but it has to be a concern that we've been so poor for most of the season.
17 from 17 is poor, would obviously equate to 46 points over a season which may or may not keep you up.

Current total of 39 points from 34 games is trajectory for 52 points.

Personally that would be beyond the pale for me. If we don’t get at least 60 points the Board need to have a long think about whether Gary should be in charge next season.
Oldun
Sorry Ben2 Have to disagree re post of the year as Art's arbitrary division of the season to fit his statistical expertise is hilarious.
I venture that we should look at the season as follows:

1 game Port Vale Champion form

Sorted!

Everyone will be surprised to read that the idea of getting rid of our experienced guy now or in the summer is ridiculous (in my opinion). I have wondered about GJ being given maybe a 5 year contact with a view to blooding a young up coming S C type to make for a planned hand over. Any one fancy that. Then we keep the best of both worlds. Excellent experienced current manager, with all his links and contacts and the scouting system all there and the young blood to take us forward.

Again sorted!
London Exile
I didn’t say I wanted Johnson sacked now though did I Ben? Also, it wasn't just a minority that wanted Yates sacked was it.
I’d be quite happy if I could see that Johnson was building something for next season but is he? We are ambling along transfer window to transfer window, which is very short term. We make signings in the summer and then come January we rip things up and start again. Surely that’s a sign the management have got it wrong?
Winchester is stalling on a new contract and one of our more exciting players - Sellars, is likely to move on. I’d have hoped that they would have already committed to the manager that signed them if they were happy at the club.

We all want our club to do well, we just have different opinions on how we achieve that. Mine would be without Gary Johnson next season.