Radio Commentators

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
MH & PM on BBC Radio Glos telling it as they see it yesterday.......... "square pegs, no RB, poor use of substitutes" were they justified comments ?? Also said fan base split 50/50 on GJ
Benctfc
Below is Johnsons record for us in the football league. Those are the stats so no one can argue of any bias.
23 Won
24 Drawn
40 Defeats
87 Total Matches

Add into that his awful last couple of seasons at Yeovil that lead to him leaving his recent football league record is awful. I'm not calling for him sacked immediately but anyone with that record should be under pressure and the board telling him he isn't isnt helping anyone they need to wake up.
Del Boy
Benctfc wrote:Below is Johnsons record for us in the football league. Those are the stats so no one can argue of any bias.
23 Won
24 Drawn
40 Defeats
87 Total Matches

Add into that his awful last couple of seasons at Yeovil that lead to him leaving his recent football league record is awful. I'm not calling for him sacked immediately but anyone with that record should be under pressure and the board telling him he isn't isnt helping anyone they need to wake up.
I make that 1.07 points per game??
Got any stats on League 2 records from Yates or even Allen? Would be interesting.
Nesty
As I have said - he/we are under achieving at the moment. but still better than last season....... just
Oldun
No right back.....was sure we had right wing back out there yesterday. As for square pegs etc I asked elsewhere which of those we had yesterday and the only answer was Winnie in second half. That is arguable as he is at home there as in midfield.
Also I wonder on what scientific basis they go for the 50/50 split with the fans? Far be it from me to question the wisdom of these two guys but it does amuse me that anyone can spout such stuff.
I know three people there yesterday and all three want GJ to stay and get a long new contract. As a as result I say that 100% want him to stay. Yes I know. More nonsense!
Robin
I can't see how anyone can claim square pegs in round holes yesterday apart from the second half when we moved Winnie to right back. I do agree that the subs were bad but then last week and at Grimsby he got them spot on for the sake of balance. I also do not have the impression that the fan base is split 50/50, apart from the small group of kids chanting at the end, Del Boy/Horlick I cannot think of anyone who wants GJ to be sacked.
Eldonavenue
I listened to the commentary, and I don't think Mark's comments were specifically about this game but more explaining why he felt supporters were 50-50 about GJ. The only thing the commentators said yesterday about substitutions was they felt another change could have been made earlier when the game was flat in the second half.
horlickfanclub
Square peg Dawson gifts the first goal . Round peg Dawson in the second half gives energy and width on the right side along with a few useful crosses. Q.E.D.
Robin
Dawson played right wing back first half, did ok but nothing special, second half right wing and was largely anonymous in my opinion.
Nesty
i was only posting what I heard them saying. I accept Winnie plays "ok" at RB but he is a) not a RB and b) a damn fine midfielder
Robin
Winnie played in midfield the entire first half when we more than match Wycombe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dawson at right back or wing back is a square peg. Winchester also. I agree with Nesty and Horlick.

We do not have a right back in the squad. No one can claim otherwise, surely.

But, with the profit made and the money saved in the bank this January, we will be able to get a decent round peg in the summer.

As for underachieving - not a simple answer. One could argue that any team which goes all season with no RB, injury to their only experienced CB, only one striker who scores and an injury to their only left permanent left back is doing well to achieve anything.

And then ask yourself, how many of our squad would promotion sides want? Eisa, Winchester and Forster yes. But are Pell, Boyle, Grimes, Nige, Graham etc underachieving or is lower mid table about right for them?
Robin
What is Taylor Moore, he's not looked like a decent centre half unless it's been on the right of a three and he can't play right wing back either so do we say he's a right back?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:What is Taylor Moore, he's not looked like a decent centre half unless it's been on the right of a three and he can't play right wing back either so do we say he's a right back?
When he signed I said he was coming in as a RB but you and others promptly insisted he was a CB. I would play TM at RB.