Friday pitch inspection

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Confirmed: http://bit.ly/Nottsinspection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I know it's quite cold but all we have is a light dusting of snow, seems crazy the way the country is acting with this weather to me.
longmover
can't see it snowing to the levels reported, rain and frozen pitch the main worry
longmover
Robin wrote:I know it's quite cold but all we have is a light dusting of snow, seems crazy the way the country is acting with this weather to me.
completely agree, to think this country got through two world wars. The patronising way this weather is being reported is quite unbelievable.
Shade
This particular week hasn't even been that bad because the air is much drier than normal so, despite the very cold temperatures, nothing that wasn't wet to begin with has frozen. -6 earlier and I couldn't even see my breath, when normally you can when it's about 4 or 5 degrees. Unless we do get a big dump of snow, which I reckon we won't here, then we should be fine. However, even a bit of snow could freeze and leave the paths around the ground pretty dangerous.

Annoys me when you see foreigners saying about how much colder it is wherever they are, blah blah blah. Yeah, well done, but we live on a damp island and we get the really low temperatures and snow a couple of times a year, not for 3 solid months, so we're not as set-up for it.
paperboy
Robin wrote:I know it's quite cold but all we have is a light dusting of snow, seems crazy the way the country is acting with this weather to me.

Yes, there's no big news around currently so the media are sensationalising it and listening to Radio Glos is simply depressing.

That said making only the most urgent journeys is wise advice.
Nesty
its been snowing in Alderton since 7:00am, only light powdery stuff, but persistent , settling now, about to get worse.
Johnsons Red Army
Highs of 1°c on Saturday.

GAME OFF due to FROZEN PITCH for sure.
Horteng
Zero chance of the game being on.

Those covers wont keep frost out for 4/5 days..... Maybe 1. Even if they did I guess the snow in the stands/ car park etc would bring an end to it all anyway
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How low temps can the covers deal with these days? I remember the old ones used to stop working below -5 degrees or something?
theidlerich
Quite a lot here in the mountains of Ye Cotteswolds; snowing and drifting all day. Nothing much moving here; mainly as no salt grit as all used up last snowfall!!! So anticipate abandonment!
drgm
The media reaction to all this has been ridiculous! We've just had a bit of snow and it's cold.
Then they trot out the same old c!#p about us not being prepared. Well who can justify a fleet of
snow-ploughs gathering dust most of the year? The resources we have are proportionate to the amount of snowy days
we get - which in some years is none at all. Pathetic over-reaction! Rant over!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Won’t be long until it is too hot and dry for British society to function for a week or two.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I see the army are being drafted in. What a sorry affair when what was once thr world’s most advanced force are no longer sent in to destroy the likes of ISIS but instead are purely used to help out buses who haven’t bothered with snow chains and the like.
Johnsons Red Army
Game has been POSTPONED.

Rescheduled for 06/03/2018 at 19:45pm.

Source: https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/march/ma ... ts-county/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shevates
At the end of the day whether we have 6 inches of snow that will have little effect on whether the game goes ahead or not as the frost sheets are laid down. The biggest problem is the temperature. The frost sheets the 500 club purchased will protect the ground up to minus 4 to 5 degrees once it goes below that temperature the frost sheets will have little effect. I've just felt my lawn and it's rock hard this has nothing to do with the country coming to a standstill because of the weather it's just fact it's fecking cold
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looking on Echo website it looks Glos is suffering from the usual pansy behaviour of closed offices, cancelled trains etc now the snow has picked up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:‘Pansy’ behaviour? Come on RCS I expected better.

For everyone else, ignore the language as you are welcome on this forum

RCS - really?
*Insert any other flora or fauna which is unnecessarily scared or easily damaged by some cold and snow*

Or would you rather I just said, ‘soft’, or ‘pathetic’?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Don’t be ridiculous we all know the contatations of that word. So yes, I would rather you didn’t use it
If you knew me you would know such connotations (which I though were left behind last century) could not be further than my mind.
Ralph
Ben2 wrote:Don’t be ridiculous we all know the contatations of that word. So yes, I would rather you didn’t use it
Are you a florist Ben? If not, you must be on one of your usual wind ups right?
asl
I've not heard that used in a derogatory sense since primary school in 1981...
longmover
yet another thread on here degenerates into nonsense