Why do stupid idiots have to try and ruin it?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A tremendous win today and the top story on the official site is a Club Statement in response to morons in our support:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/march/st ... behaviour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judging by the discussion on Twitter and this from JP, it was homophobic chanting / abuse aimed at other CTFC fans.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... wn-1324633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Not condoning it but from what I hear from those at the game it was one drunk fan so an isolated incident.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Not condoning it but from what I hear from those at the game it was one drunk fan so an isolated incident.
Easier to ban if just one fan.

Though note the Club statement refers to individuals plural.
vickeryc
Disappointing, but sadly moronic behaviour like this can happen anywhere in a crowd of people. Even one moron is one too many. Thankfully this sort of thing is relatively infrequent, and the club is absolutely right to take moves to nip it in the bud before it becomes an on-going problem.
Alf
I first read the headline on the Gloucestershire Live site ‘Cheltenham Town’s win at Swindon marred by homophobic chanting’. This sounds really bad and very ‘unCheltenham like’.
After reading a few posts from people who were at the game it appears that it was some pissed up idiot shouting his mouth off.....or chanting as our local newspaper puts it.
I agree that it’s not the sort of thing we need to hear from our supporters but I think that it was an unnecessary and attention seeking headline which does our club and fans no good at all.
Robin
Agree with Alf, the headline from the Echo is very disappointing, what harm would a little more context do to suggest it was an isolated incident from what appears to be one drunken fan. We all know it's unacceptable but the article could be interpreted that it was a large group/proportion of the fan base which clearly isn't true.
Alf
Oh great. It’s on the BBC Sport site now! The media will love this, posh Cheltenham full of homophobes! What irresponsible journalism.
Johnsons Red Army
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/march/st ... behaviour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do realise that the club put out a statement about the incident? Most likely where the BBC got their info from, given they have directly quoted the statement in their report.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can’t blame the press. It shouldn’t happen and it is rightly being highlighted.

No evidence it was just one fan and not a group, other than hearsay either way. The Club are investigating and when complete let’s hope whatever action they take (bans, police charges, etc) are equally well reported to show how seriously Cheltenham take these type of offence compared to other sides.
Lord Elpuz
There is no place for it in modern society. It cannot be condoned or defended and the fact that it happened to our club has absolutely nothing to do with the Press and they are correct in reporting on it. It’s against the law and it has to be stamped on. The club can hold its head high for declaring its correct standpoint on the matter. It will be an isolated incident that won’t get repeated because it is going to send out a very strong message to the buffoon(s) who allow drink to reveal their true selves.
Alf
I don’t think anything I have said condones that sort of behaviour whether it be homophobia, racism etc. and as RCS said we don’t know the facts, whether it was a drunken individual or a group.
Jerry St Clair
Why did no-one take this person to task at the time? I find that unfathomable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Why did no-one take this person to task at the time? I find that unfathomable.
Official guidance is to report and let the authorities deal with it. Obviously stewards rarely do anything however last thing we want is this fan and his mates fighting with other fans who try to take them to task.

Someone obviously has reported it to prompt the club statement. If it was reported at the match then it is the fault of Swindon stewards if nothing was done at the time.

Maybe ask this chap, who claims he was in the middle of it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MACCA_CTFC/s ... 3888587776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe some of his fellow “next generation” might assist as witnesses: https://mobile.twitter.com/MACCA_CTFC/s ... 37/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 11 Mar 2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
King giraffe iii
Alf wrote:Oh great. It’s on the BBC Sport site now! The media will love this, posh Cheltenham full of homophobes! What irresponsible journalism.
CTFC are no worse than any other club for homophobia. We have some guy at FGR who bangs on about 'faggots'.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
King giraffe iii wrote:
Alf wrote:Oh great. It’s on the BBC Sport site now! The media will love this, posh Cheltenham full of homophobes! What irresponsible journalism.
CTFC are no worse than any other club for homophobia. We have some guy at FGR who bangs on about 'faggots'.
We want to be and should be better than any club.

If this guy at FGR is known so well, why no ban etc?
longmover
If these comments were made and the person (people) found then that person (people) require some assistance in explaining why those comments aren't acceptable, yes the club can ban them but that isn't going to stop that person (people) believing those comments are . The club should educate these people and if they are caught saying the same thing then ban. Just an idea.

Also can anyone on here hold their hands one their hearts and say they have never said something they have later regretted while young intoxicated and emotions running high?
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:Why did no-one take this person to task at the time? I find that unfathomable.
Official guidance is to report and let the authorities deal with it. Obviously stewards rarely do anything however last thing we want is this fan and his mates fighting with other fans who try to take them to task.

Someone obviously has reported it to prompt the club statement. If it was reported at the match then it is the fault of Swindon stewards if nothing was done at the time.
I take your point. If someone is being belligerent you’re potentially not going to get a good response if you take them on.

But, I firmly believe being challenged by your own fans has a much greater impact than being sanctioned by officialdom. I’ve taken two racists to task at football matches before and, guess what, mouthy idiots tend to shut up when their idiocy is pointed out to them in front of the masses. Especially when the masses back you up (which I firmly believe all CTFC fans would).
asl
King giraffe iii wrote:We have some guy at FGR who bangs on about 'faggots'.
I know a Wigan fan who does that. He does tend to be talking about what he's having for his tea, mind...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
King giraffe iii wrote:We have some guy at FGR who bangs on about 'faggots'.
I know a Wigan fan who does that. He does tend to be talking about what he's having for his tea, mind...
We know that can’t be the case at vegan FGR!
Shade
It would be nice if, in the reports, it also mentioned CTFC had the equal least arrests/trouble from their fans when the last figures were released, so that we don't all get tarred with the same brush (even though most football people know there is usually only one or two twats, other people generalise about "football fans"). I haven't read the reports yet, so don't know if they do or not.
Hubert Parry
Have we heard anymore about the investigation into this incident?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Have we heard anymore about the investigation into this incident?
Good question HP. Hopefully the Club will report soon.

(Maybe the Echo will find time between hashing together clickbait advertising hosts to try and find out and report some genuine news about the club).