Fan's view

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Do you agree with James Robinson? http://bit.ly/FansSwindon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree that others, specifically Pell, won’t automatically get back in the side.
pas
We have achieved two excellent results without Harry Pell. Nige and Morrell superb again yesterday. How does Harry get back in the team ?
Alf
Agree. Consistency goes a long way to getting the right results and if we can stay injury free, what need is there to make changes. Pell was a key player for us in our National League campaign but seems slow and cumbersome in Div2. Im not saying he’s a bad player but I just don’t think he fits in with the current style of play.
I-Love-CTFC
We seem a lot more balanced without Pell in the team. Nige and Morrell are two of our most consistent performers.
Nesty
I agree with the headline. A good start.
Nesty
Nesty wrote:I agree with the headline. A good start.
and then the reality kicks in as one superb performance and result is followed by ........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
and then the reality kicks in as one superb performance and result is followed by ........
....another shambles against a relegation side. Could well have put off a few potential season ticket sales with yet another failure in a game which fans rightly expect to be a regulation home win.
Shade
Could have been a win but for another Grimes error. How many points has he cost us this season now? Fans lost patience with him judging by the boos when he was replaced. He may have a few good/decent games but he's always got a silly, costly mistake in him.
vickeryc
It is odd that we generally perform well against the better footballing teams in this division and struggle against the 'scrappers'. We look far better when we play the ball on the ground and resist the temptation to hoof the ball in the air all the time.
Shade
The better teams rely on better football and don't chase down as much, and don't sit back as much. We don't have as much nous against teams that don't give us as much space. We need a couple more experienced players in the summer, and by that I mean can win the ball and pick a pass, rather than smack it clear to nobody.
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote:
....another shambles against a relegation side. Could well have put off a few potential season ticket sales with yet another failure in a game which fans rightly expect to be a regulation home win.
.......I must confess that I am almost certainly hoping for a 5 match day cheapo - ST unlikely after that, and in reality the vast majority of home games have been dire. Serious disillusionment with the management team, tactics, subs, the officials and the weather.
tunnelvision
theidlerich wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote: and then the reality kicks in as one superb performance and result is followed by ........
.......I must confess that I am almost certainly hoping for a 5 match day cheapo - ST unlikely after that, and in reality the vast majority of home games have been dire. Serious disillusionment with the management team, tactics, subs, the officials and the weather.
Must admit that I'm already questioning whether to get an ST next season. Playing only one striker at home, especially against lower teams, shows a complete lack of ambition. We've done this a number of times now and not only has the entertainment value been non-existent, but we've often been lucky to come away with a point too! :roll:
Alf
Every team has good days and bad days and just because a team is in the bottom two doesn’t make it an automatic walk over. After saying that, I thought Chesterfield did look a bottom two side but unfortunately we didn’t look much better. We have a lot of possession in and around the opponents box that is generally wasted with high balls lumped in for the keeper to gather, poor passes and unconvincing shots. If we can get more from this possession the occasional cock up at the other end won’t be so disastrous.
Robin
I feel part of the problem we've had a lot this season is delivery into the box and inparticularly from set pieces has been poor.

By the way where is Jerrel Sellars?
CTFCfan99
Robin wrote:I feel part of the problem we've had a lot this season is delivery into the box and inparticularly from set pieces has been poor.

By the way where is Jerrel Sellars?
Slight injury according to JP, should be back soon. I'd get him straight in the first XI when fit.
Shade
tunnelvision wrote:
Playing only one striker at home, especially against lower teams, shows a complete lack of ambition.
We won 3-0 the previous week with the same formation. If we'd played a different formation and come up with the same result (we ended the game 4-4-2, btw, and didn't look much more threatening) then the fans would be moaning that he changed a winning formation, and moaning about lack of consistency (again!).

Playing 1 up front with two wingers is the formation that all of the top sides in the country use - are they showing a lack of ambition? This is the thinking of someone stuck in the footballing past.
tunnelvision
Shade wrote:
tunnelvision wrote:
Playing only one striker at home, especially against lower teams, shows a complete lack of ambition.
We won 3-0 the previous week with the same formation. If we'd played a different formation and come up with the same result (we ended the game 4-4-2, btw, and didn't look much more threatening) then the fans would be moaning that he changed a winning formation, and moaning about lack of consistency (again!).

Playing 1 up front with two wingers is the formation that all of the top sides in the country use - are they showing a lack of ambition? This is the thinking of someone stuck in the footballing past.
Don't have an issue with one up front away from home, where defending and counter-attacking may often be the best option, but I don't think we should be playing home games starting on the back foot. If we had the L2 equivalent of a Kane or Lukaku, then maybe, but I don't think Eisa is strong enough to be the sole forward, as he can't hold the ball up or win headers. We also don't have any true wingers, just midfielders played wide, usually as wing-backs and who mostly seem incapable of delivering a decent cross.
Nesty
I put on another thread that GJ was going to be wrong whatever he did, if he had changed a winning side and we lost he would have bee slated
tunnelvision
Nesty wrote:I put on another thread that GJ was going to be wrong whatever he did, if he had changed a winning side and we lost he would have bee slated
The facts are that of our 7 home league wins, we've started with either 2 or 3 strikers. When we've started with just one striker at home, we haven't won any, and worse, of those 4 games, 3 were against teams below us in the league: Barnet (1-1), Chesterfield (1-1), Yeovil (0-2). The other one was against Cambridge (0-0), 1 place above us. A total of 3pts from a maximum of 12pts, against sides we could reasonably expect to beat at home. :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
Nesty wrote:I put on another thread that GJ was going to be wrong whatever he did, if he had changed a winning side and we lost he would have bee slated
The facts are that of our 7 home league wins, we've started with either 2 or 3 strikers. When we've started with just one striker at home, we haven't won any, and worse, of those 4 games, 3 were against teams below us in the league: Barnet (1-1), Chesterfield (1-1), Yeovil (0-2). The other one was against Cambridge (0-0), 1 place above us. A total of 3pts from a maximum of 12pts, against sides we could reasonably expect to beat at home. :roll:
Agree. All well and good going away to a top ten side with one up front to absorb early pressure and go on the counter.

At home we need to be the side piling on the pressure from minute one, especially against sides coming to WR to defend for a draw. Get three up top and pepper the goal. Can revert to one up if/when we have a goal or two lead.
Shade
Well, it's all well and good saying it now isn't it, but GJ has made changes like that before in the season and we haven't gone on to win and all we hear is "no consistency", "doesn't know his best 11", "round pegs in square holes". On facebook the team selection draw a large number of likes, and no angry faces, of which there usually seems to be at least a couple because somebody has been left out, or maybe because somebody has been left in.

The fact is that the players still didn't play well enough on the day. It doesn't matter how many strikers we had in the box, we put one good ball in all afternoon. If the passing and decision making had been better then it wouldn't have mattered what formation we were playing as we'd have won regardless.