Eisa/Cardiff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
All well and good to aim high how many league two players go or those fees. Exeter sold a player for £800k to Brentford and Grimsby sold Bogle to Wigan for £500k, FG sold a defender for £500k, you could make a case Eisa is worth more given the extra TV revenue but seven figure fees for league two players is so rare, perhaps the last one was Nick Powell to Man Utd.
Shade
Don't care what others have gone for. Why should we be restrained by that? £1m or you don't get him and he stays and fires the goals in for us. End of.
Robin
What others have gone for is a key component on how much clubs are willing to pay (along with their finances and the level of competition). It's ok saying one million or no deal, I would love that to happen but equally a fee of £750k is huge for us when our wage bill is probably somewhere just over a million per season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:All well and good to aim high how many league two players go or those fees. Exeter sold a player for £800k to Brentford and Grimsby sold Bogle to Wigan for £500k, FG sold a defender for £500k, you could make a case Eisa is worth more given the extra TV revenue but seven figure fees for league two players is so rare, perhaps the last one was Nick Powell to Man Utd.
Who cares. If we don’t get offered £1m plus this year we don’t sell.
Shade
Ultimately, it depends how much a club would want him, doesn't it. We don't need to sell and if as many clubs are looking at him as are rumoured then there may even be a bidding war.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Ultimately, it depends how much a club would want him, doesn't it. We don't need to sell and if as many clubs are looking at him as are rumoured then there may even be a bidding war.
Exactly. If clubs go over a million then quids in. If not Mo fires us to promotion. Win win. Robin’s little old Cheltenham policy is lose lose.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Come now RCS. Why stop there? In the world of completely made up and guessed-at figures why not go £1.1million? As opposed to £995,000, which would obviously be completely unacceptable.

I say £3.967r million or no deal! Why? Because I can pick figures out of thin air with the best of them
I stopped nowhere. I said ‘over a million’ - completely unbounded upper limit.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Ultimately, it depends how much a club would want him, doesn't it. We don't need to sell and if as many clubs are looking at him as are rumoured then there may even be a bidding war.
Exactly. If clubs go over a million then quids in. If not Mo fires us to promotion. Win win. Robin’s little old Cheltenham policy is lose lose.
Totally agree. If Mo doesn't attract a decent fee simply because he plays in league 2, then that is all the reason the club needs to conclude that its interests would be better served by not selling until after 2018/19 season.
Nesty
strikers tend to attract larger fees ?
Si Robin
Leicester paid a million for Jamie Vardy whilst Fleetwood were still in the Conference and he was two years older than Mo - it's swings and roundabouts.

Mo is worth whatever anyone is prepared to pay for him. We don't need to sell this summer, so it puts us in the driving seat.

For clarity on Robin's examples though, Bogle went for £500k having only played half a season at this level, Ollie Watkins actually went for £1.8m to Brentford if this story is to be believed: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ie-watkins. A million for Mo is not necessary dreamworld.
Robin
My understanding of the Watkins deal was that it was £800k cash but rising to £1.8 million with the add ons but if I am wrong we defiintely should be ignoring any offers under £1million.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:My understanding of the Watkins deal was that it was £800k cash but rising to £1.8 million with the add ons but if I am wrong we defiintely should be ignoring any offers under £1million.
Mo is not Watkins. Our circumstances are different.

We don’t need and definitely don’t want to sell. Our plans are to keep Mo and for him to get us to L1 and keep us there. For a club to disrupt our plans and make us do something we don’t want or need to do will take a big offer, irrelevant of what different deals have been.

We will be dragged reluctantly to the negotiating table and the opening offer to make us do that must be huge.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:My understanding of the Watkins deal was that it was £800k cash but rising to £1.8 million with the add ons but if I am wrong we defiintely should be ignoring any offers under £1million.
Mo is not Watkins. Our circumstances are different.

We don’t need and definitely don’t want to sell. Our plans are to keep Mo and for him to get us to L1 and keep us there. For a club to disrupt our plans and make us do something we don’t want or need to do will take a big offer, irrelevant of what different deals have been.

We will be dragged reluctantly to the negotiating table and the opening offer to make us do that must be huge.
Quite so.