Eisa/Cardiff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
IF he does go, how much would you expect Cheltenham to receive? http://bit.ly/EisaWanted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
At least 1million with sell on clause of 20%
Shade
I agree with Ralph. We don't need to sell him right now so we should go for as much as we can get, or he stays our player.
Nesty
500k plus 50% sell on
Ralph
Nesty wrote:500k plus 50% sell on
No buying club would ever go for a 50% sell on. You need more money in the initial transaction. 500k is nowhere near enough
Fuller
I expect Greenwich Borough would be due a decent cut of any fee too.
Not easy replacing someone like Mo at our level. Remember when Steve Gillespie left in summer 2008 Keith Downing had any awful job signing a replacement. Lloyd Owusu came in on transfer deadline day along with Josh Low if I recall. Don't think we paid any transfer fees with the £400k fee we got from Colchester. Just went into wages and signing on fees and we all know how that season ended up. Relegation and asking the council for a loan to bail us out.
Shade
We didn't buy Mo so Greenwich wouldn't be in on any deal? I stand to be corrected, though.
Nesty
I am sure we paid a fee
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Warnock’s mob offer to open talks at £1m we should think about meeting with them. Anything less and emails should be deleted and phones hung up without acknowledgement.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Warnock’s mob offer to open talks at £1m we should think about meeting with them. Anything less and emails should be deleted and phones hung up without acknowledgement.
Latest view from the bathroom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Warnock’s mob offer to open talks at £1m we should think about meeting with them. Anything less and emails should be deleted and phones hung up without acknowledgement.
Latest view from the bathroom.
Correct! Just settled on the loo after 2 hours of meetings.
Malabus
Like I have stated before; no less than a million sterling.
Jon Palmer
Not bad company to be in: http://bit.ly/Eisa2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Spurs are rumoured to be lining up a £35m offer for Sessegnon. Fulham have already said they value him at £50m, and may not sell at all if they go up this season. They know he is raw and may not be ready for a top Prem side. It is better for Sessegnon to play for Fulham in the Prem week in week out for a season to develop rather than warm the bench at Spurs or Chelsea and stall (learn the lesson of Patrick Roberts).

At a lower level, Mo and Cheltenham is the same. Better for all parties if Mo gets us up and plays for us in L1 for a year. Only way he leaves is if an offer is made of the size we can’t refuse and encourage him to leave. Which is why getting on for £1.5m is the only sensible amount.
Shade
Can't see GJ doing business with Warnock, somehow. You'd think GJ would be in Mo's ear as well telling him what a plank he is.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Fulham are somehow denied promotion and sell Sess for £40m then Gary may be able to exploit his good relationship with the club to get a £1.5m plus sell-on clause plus player(s) deal if Mo agitates and wants to leave two seasons too soon (which I don’t think he will do).
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Fulham are somehow denied promotion and sell Sess for £40m then Gary may be able to exploit his good relationship with the club to get a £1.5m plus sell-on clause plus player(s) deal if Mo agitates and wants to leave two seasons too soon (which I don’t think he will do).
Hourly news from the bathroom
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Fulham are somehow denied promotion and sell Sess for £40m then Gary may be able to exploit his good relationship with the club to get a £1.5m plus sell-on clause plus player(s) deal if Mo agitates and wants to leave two seasons too soon (which I don’t think he will do).
Incorrect.
vickeryc
Given: (1) all this depressing speculation about the potential departure of our most prized asset before he has even notched up 40 games: and (2) the difficulties/ high cost of attracting a replacement striker; is Dan Holman being written-off to quickly?

While I'm not suggesting that Dan - or anyone else for that matter - could come close to replacing Mo if/when he goes, I feel he should be retained on the basis that he can score goals when fit and given the chance. He's played just 12 mins for us this season and scored during that cameo appearance. He has been incredibly unlucky with injuries and I for one would like to see him given a chance to resurrect his career at Cheltenham.
Oldun
DH has not delivered at Orient (anymore than he did at Boreham Wood) To me it is a great mystery and a crying shame that he "lost it" over the period between winning league and his reappearance after injury to the beginning of his League 2 time here. Sadly though, the facts are he has not rediscovered his knack of scoring goals and surely will go at the end of the season. Sentiment is not a good enough reason to keep him on.
Besides, with the 20million we will get for Mo we will be able to afford a couple of proven strikers and build the new stand.
Johnsons Red Army
Oldun wrote:DH has not delivered at Orient (anymore than he did at Boreham Wood) To me it is a great mystery and a crying shame that he "lost it" over the period between winning league and his reappearance after injury to the beginning of his League 2 time here. Sadly though, the facts are he has not rediscovered his knack of scoring goals and surely will go at the end of the season. Sentiment is not a good enough reason to keep him on.
Fully agree with this.
vickeryc
I anticipated this sort of reaction, which I do understand. However, I genuinely believe Holman has been unlucky and - unless an injury has profoundly affected his playing ability - a decent striker like him doesn't suddenly become useless. For various reasons, he hasn't been able to get much game time, but I feel he is capable of rediscovering his form if given opportunities. You cannot expect any player to find goal scoring form if they are only brought on for cameo appearances - Freddie Hinds comes to mind. That said, Holman did come on for 12 minutes against Exeter and scored!
everyman
Shade wrote:I agree with Ralph. We don't need to sell him right now so we should go for as much as we can get, or he stays our player.
We could sell him to Bristol City and get him back on loan ? ;)
Robin
I agree also Holman isn't the answer he looked a fantastic player when we won the conference but not the same player now (reminds me of Super Dale Watkins).

Also is it really depressing that we may sell Eisa for decent money? If we get £1 million (for example) that may help us with finally getting the new main stand built that's a positive in my eyes. It's rare for league two players to go for big money this is the first time since Gillespie that we have a top talent likely to bring a decent fee.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mo will get a better move and we will get more money if he scores 20+ for us in L1 after firing us to promotion next season. That is the default position and what we should be planning for.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Mo will get a better move and we will get more money if he scores 20+ for us in L1 after firing us to promotion next season. That is the default position and what we should be planning for.
Agree that we should keep him as long as is realistic and we can still get a fee for him. I can't remember when Mo's contract expires, but we should not be selling him before he's had a couple of seasons here. As his reputation grows, which it surely will, his valuation will grow correspondingly.
Oldun
DH has had a lot of game time at Orient but not delivered.
vickeryc
It's difficult to know whether or not that is down to the players around him to be fair. Orient have been struggling all season.
Shade
vickeryc wrote:It's difficult to know whether or not that is down to the players around him to be fair. Orient have been struggling all season.
If we're being honest though, in his half a season with us in the NL, Dan Holman showed he would have scored at least half his goals if he'd have been playing for Halifax (only a slight exaggeration) - he was unstoppable most of the time. You only had to give him the ball and the rest was history Unfortunately, his injury took its toll mentally and has robbed him of the chance of becoming at least a L2 regular scorer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Mo will get a better move and we will get more money if he scores 20+ for us in L1 after firing us to promotion next season. That is the default position and what we should be planning for.
Agree that we should keep him as long as is realistic and we can still get a fee for him. I can't remember when Mo's contract expires, but we should not be selling him before he's had a couple of seasons here. As his reputation grows, which it surely will, his valuation will grow correspondingly.
Correct.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
Incorrect.
Half hourly?! ;)
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
Correct.
The counter opinion to this particular view is that a high scoring League 2 player one year into a three year contract, could stay with his club for an additional season in League 2 - which they then win, and in the third year of his contract the club are playing in League 1. Said player then has a poor season and the player’s value and interest in him sinks. If this scenario were to be applied to Mo, my belief is that he will always score goals, but he may find them harder to come by if his team mates struggle in League 1. However, if we have to wait another two seasons for Mo to be catapulting us up the table of League 1, then his contract will have expired at the end of that season and he would go for nothing. The risks are too great in every scenario and for those reasons, Mo will leave CTFC at the end of this season for a fee in excess of £1m with add-ons. The potential auction is already taking shape. He should be allowed to go, for the right fee, with our blessing.
Robin
I agree Lord Elpuz although I'm not confident we will get £1 million for him simply because league two players just do not go for those sorts of fees.
vickeryc
Mo's contract runs to summer 2020, so we should not feel pressurised into a bargain sale just yet. While it would probably be risky leaving it until 2019-20 to sell, there is no reason why we shouldn't try to retain him for next season, assuming Mo himself doesnt agitate for a transfer. I honestly believe it would be beneficial for his development, as well as in the club's interest, if this were to happen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I agree Lord Elpuz although I'm not confident we will get £1 million for him simply because league two players just do not go for those sorts of fees.
Maybe they weren’t good enough or the clubs bottled the negotiations or had to sell. If Championship sides want him, they have to pay over a million. Ergo, he will be sold for a million plus or not at all.