Revenge

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
2002-2003 not forgotten.

Chesterfield’s ridiculous fluke away at Bristol City which swung the relegation fight in their favour.

We had turned a corner after the Allner experiment failed, and I believe had we survived we would have become established in Div 2/L1.

The blow of relegation still hurts and doing our bit to send Chesterfield down would help soften that.
Shade
Much like our ridiculous fluke at home to Doncaster Rovers about 5 years later?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Much like our ridiculous fluke at home to Doncaster Rovers about 5 years later?
Nothing flukey. Resolute defending and efficient counter attack. A pioneer of the tactic which saw Inter beat Barca and Leicester win the Prem.
Shade
Paul Connor scored. If that isn't flukey I don't know what is.
Robin
Nothing against Chesterfield myself but I feel a win virtually ensures the doom sayers are quiet about relegation so that will do me.
asl
Shade wrote:Paul Connor scored. If that isn't flukey I don't know what is.
:)
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:2002-2003 not forgotten.

Chesterfield’s ridiculous fluke away at Bristol City which swung the relegation fight in their favour.

We had turned a corner after the Allner experiment failed, and I believe had we survived we would have become established in Div 2/L1.

The blow of relegation still hurts and doing our bit to send Chesterfield down would help soften that.
I remember that match well (though it was at Saltergate rather than Ashton Gate). Around 20 minutes into the second half, the match was goalless and City were pressing hard for the lead when they had two players controversially sent off (one of the red cards was subsequently rescinded). With 9 men against 11, it naturally became a tall order to avoid defeat, and Chesterfield duly scored two very late goals. It was those goals that effectively relegated Cheltenham and cost City an automatic promotion place. City were seething about the two dismissals, which they felt cost them the game. To make matters worse from Cheltenham's perspective, there were questions about Chesterfield's financial position that season, though ultimately they avoided going into administration and no points were deducted.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:2002-2003 not forgotten.

I remember that match well (though it was at Saltergate rather than Ashton Gate). Around 20 minutes into the second half, the match was goalless and City were pressing hard for the lead when they had two players controversially sent off (one of the red cards was subsequently rescinded). With 9 men against 11, it naturally became a tall order to avoid defeat, and Chesterfield duly scored two very late goals. It was those goals that effectively relegated Cheltenham and cost City an automatic promotion place. City were seething about the two dismissals, which they felt cost them the game. To make matters worse from Cheltenham's perspective, there were questions about Chesterfield's financial position that season, though ultimately they avoided going into administration and no points were deducted.
Yes, perhaps ‘fluke’ was the wrong word and ‘fixed’ is more apt. I remember that is when I realised how corrupt the English game is.

Was the Saltergate Scandal that year, or was it a couple of years beforehand? I remember the Sky Sports News long-lense footage of a dusk raid by the authorities. Sky were filming from outside the ground and all you could see was the pitch and empty stands whilst the authorities accessed the offices. THEN a figure appeared from the main stand offices into the stand itself before scurrying through the seats, onto the terraces and escaped through a gap in the fence / gate.

Edit: Just checked and the Saltergate Scandal was came to a head 2001. I found this from the archives. At least someone got jailed in the end: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... esterfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Great to see the whistleblowers who helped convict the spiv get a commendation.