Mad Dog back as mgr at Barnet

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
Rolling the dice. Great escape is on
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Source? Nothing on BBC or Barnet’s website.
Si Robin
Robin
Haven't read the article but won't that be their fourth manager of the season? Crazy way to run a club and almost certain to go down along with either Chesterfield or Morecambe in my opinion.
vickeryc
Grimsby look a better bet than Morecambe IMO.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Grimsby more likely than Morecambe.

You have to wonder why Barnet appointed Westley in the first place. Such a poor track record and surely now he won’t get another League job for some time.
bigdavejambo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43456712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Westley will go back to Stevenage
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Third stint at Stevenage for GW if so. Risky given his first stint ended in failure and sacking.
bigdavejambo
After Saturday away at Luton, Barnet have a VERY nice set of fixtures for their run in and could quite easily escape.
vickeryc
Barnet are a funny side. They have beaten some of the best teams at home - e.g. Notts and Luton. This demonstrates they could yet have the ability to escape and leave the trapdoor open for Chesterfield and Grimsby.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Personally, I don’t think Chesterfield and Grimsby owners and financial management have a place in football so want them to go down. Plus I have always felt mildly positive about Barnet for some reason.
Ralph
When Barnet have played Luton, every game is a 6pt'er from then on. Crewe, Stevenage, FGR, Grimsby, Newport, Morecambe, Chesterfield.
Ralph
Last day of the season
FGR v Grimsby
Barnet v Chesterfield
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:Last day of the season
FGR v Grimsby
Barnet v Chesterfield
Tasty. Could be one of those days where all four sides drop into the bottom two at some point before the final positions come out in the wash.
Shade
This just makes me hope that Barnet go down now.

24. FGR
23. Grimsby
22. Barnet
21. Port Vale
20. Crewe
19. Chesterfield
18. Morecambe

That would be my preferred finishing positions, in order of teams near the bottom that I want to see relegated. If any of Vale, Barnet (now), Grimsby and FGR go, I won't be crying.
Ralph
Hoping FGR and Cod or Spirites
Malabus
In recent pass seasons there have been one club that goes into free-fall after the festive period in December. Everything indicates that’s happening again in regards of Grimsby and their results in the last few months.
Going to be difficult for Barnet and Chesterfield to escape the drop, but now MA is in charge, and he have saved Barnet before and I won’t be surprised to see Barnet future results improving and Grimsby demoted to the conference.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:In recent pass seasons there have been one club that goes into free-fall after the festive period in December. Everything indicates that’s happening again in regards of Grimsby and their results in the last few months.
Going to be difficult for Barnet and Chesterfield to escape the drop, but now MA is in charge, and he have saved Barnet before and I won’t be surprised to see Barnet future results improving and Grimsby demoted to the conference.
Martin James and Monty will steer the Bees to safety.
Shade
Similar to one club going into free fall, there's usually one that comes back from the dead and puts a run together that saves them...I assume that will now be Barnet, unfortunately. Although it previously looked like being FGR that were going on the run to save them, they've stalled again the last couple of weeks, despite Bob Hall's adamance that they deserved a draw at Accrington and were denied the most stonewall penalty of all time.
vickeryc
If Barnet do embark on a Houdini-esque escape from the trapdoor, it will have been an incredible rollercoaster season for them. They began the season quite well before going into a Grimsby-style freefall, although Barnet's decline started earlier than Codheads'.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Back the Bees. Barnet staying up.
Ralph
Barnet will get out of it. If Grimsby go back down the New Fishy will be insane lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:Barnet will get out of it. If Grimsby go back down the New Fishy will be insane lol
:lol: :lol: how many Fenty Out threads will there be?
longmover
FGR's last five games of the season: Barnet, Us, Chesterfield Luton then Grimsby
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We must beat FGR. If Cod and Spire stay up by a point at FGR expense at least we can look back at all the dropped points vs those two crisis clubs more fondly.

Actually, if Barnet survive then The Cod & Spire would make a good pub name near The Hive. MJA allowed to drop trouser with immunity.
Cheltenhamshire10
Wasted no time in the player merry go round, only cutting the squad now as it will be quite hard for him to sign players.
Didn't realise Tin was there at the end of the window.
Benctfc
I actually hadn't noticed how close FGR still are to the drop and they are currently losing to Crewe. Our match against them could be very important in their survival hopes it would certainly add a bit more edge if we had the chance to help contribute towards their relegation.
Ralph
That is a game that we must win. Put those F'ers to the sword
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:That is a game that we must win. Put those F'ers to the sword
Exactly, no one up front dullness letting the game follow their pace and tactics. We have to take it by the scruff. Two up with two wingers and pepper their goal. No mercy. The fans have to make it clear; if we don’t ATTACK that game from the off, season tickets will not be renewed.
Robin
Barnet won't do a great escape this time as it would realistically require them to win at least four of their remaining eight games, more likely five and I just cannot see that happening. Looking at the current table I'd said it's them plus probably Chesterfield or one of Grimsby, Morecambe, FGR with the cods form a real concern.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cods only hope is that Chesterfield or Barnet run out of games.

Spirerites games in-hand both being played in April. A Tuesday night trip to Morecambe, and a Tuesday night trip to Exeter. The Morecambe clash a biggy.
Shade
In my opinion, Barnet and Chesterfield are down if Grimsby and FGR win and draw another game.

As an aside, anybody noticed we've scored goals than Exeter and Coventry, who are in the last 2 play off positions, and the same as Lincoln in 8th? But we've conceded more than Morecambe, the same as Vale and just 2 less than Barnet. If someone needs a quick reason as to why we're not up there this season, there's the answer - the defence.
asl
Can we have a quick rule-change just for this one season so that FGR, Barnet, Cheaterfield, Grimsby can *all* get relegated...? Might run out of tissues if that happens...
Shade
asl wrote:Can we have a quick rule-change just for this one season so that FGR, Barnet, Cheaterfield, Grimsby can *all* get relegated...? Might run out of tissues if that happens...
That would be amazing.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:That is a game that we must win. Put those F'ers to the sword
Exactly, no one up front dullness letting the game follow their pace and tactics. We have to take it by the scruff. Two up with two wingers and pepper their goal. No mercy. The fans have to make it clear; if we don’t ATTACK that game from the off, season tickets will not be renewed.
This^^