Next season away trips

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nothing inspiring.

Northampton, MK Franchise, Rochdale and Oldham currently in bottom spots of L1.

Similar story from the National League, where Macc, Sutton, Borehamwood, Tranmere, Wrexham, Dover or Aldershot make up the promotion and play-off spots.

As an aside, would a MK Franchise vs Ecotricity Franchise match be the most dispiriting and most unwelcome fixture in League Football history?
Shade
I was just coming on to post in the Other Footy section that, looking at the table, it no team can better our title winning points total again this season, or getting within a country mile of our goals scored (Macc top with just 51 goals in 37 games and 71 points so far) :)

We had 87 GF, 101 points at the end.

Seems a much weaker/more equal division this season now FGR, Grimsby, Lincoln and the 2016 champions aren't in it. Whoever comes up, I don't think they'll be doing a Bristol Rovers or Lincoln and surging straight up League 2 next season.

And yes, RCS, it would be. The plastic v the money.
Red Duke
Have you missed off Bury? I always enjoy Rochdale away especially the chippie just outside the away end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:Have you missed off Bury? I always enjoy Rochdale away especially the chippie just outside the away end.
Yes sorry. They are so far adrift I didn’t spot them!
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
As an aside, would a MK Franchise vs Ecotricity Franchise match be the most dispiriting and most unwelcome fixture in League Football history?
NO
Average MK support 9,148 [6th best in League 1]
Average FGR support 2,675 [19th best in League 2]
Plenty of worse supported clubs than either mentioned.

Besides FGR play an attractive style of football, albeit not always a winning one.
Cannot comment on MK having not seen them but their support for a relegation threatened team appears to indicate they are also an attractive team to watch.
At the end of the day if the football is good, and if as seems possible there are matches between these two, then the punters will pay to watch a decent attractive game.
And to hell what the rest of the world thinks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
NO
Average MK support 9,148 [6th best in League 1]
Average FGR support 2,675 [19th best in League 2]
Plenty of worse supported clubs than either mentioned.

Besides FGR play an attractive style of football, albeit not always a winning one.
Cannot comment on MK having not seen them but their support for a relegation threatened team appears to indicate they are also an attractive team to watch.
At the end of the day if the football is good, and if as seems possible there are matches between these two, then the punters will pay to watch a decent attractive game.
And to hell what the rest of the world thinks.
50,000 could go. Wouldn’t make it any less vile or unwelcome to those who love the game and don’t like how money men and the financial bubble are changing it.

But good to see you acknowledging you support an Ecotricity franchise and are happy with that.
Robin
Love the way OTC bigs up a paultry 2600 average attendance when we all know they get more away fans than anyone else being a new ground and their home support is less than 2000 for the first season in the football league!

As for next season it will be difficult for me if the Franchise come down, I would love that as I'm sure most real football fans would but I'd be half tempted to do the away game as it's a ground I haven't visited (I refused last time).,
The Old TomCat
Robin wrote:Love the way OTC bigs up a paultry 2600 average attendance when we all know they get more away fans than anyone else being a new ground and their home support is less than 2000 for the first season in the football league!

As for next season it will be difficult for me if the Franchise come down, I would love that as I'm sure most real football fans would but I'd be half tempted to do the away game as it's a ground I haven't visited (I refused last time).,
Little to choose in attendance between two Gloucestershire teams:

Home attendance
17th Cheltenham 3,034
19th FGR 2,675
difference 359

Away attendance
10th FGR 4,429
14th Cheltenham 4,145
difference 284

All
17th Cheltenham 3589
18th FGR 3,552
difference 37

Therefore remarkable good figures for a village club compared to local town rivals.
Robin, there is probably some truth in what you claim that the novelty factor will no longer attract some fans to newby FGR but FGR will almost certainly have a better season in EFL which will automatically attract greater crowds.
Robin
Are you honestly stating that CTFC brought crica 25% of the total away attendance at the new lawn this season?
The Old TomCat
Total attendance 3641 [away support 985]
As you say about 25%
Very well attended game by the Cheltenham away supporters which shows how popular the ElGlosico games are.
Possibly the away game attended by most travelling supporters from Cheltenhamshire.
Seems the near 1,000 have a different opinion to RCS, otherwise they would not have turned up.
Johnsons Red Army
F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN, F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Robin wrote:Love the way OTC bigs up a paultry 2600 average attendance when we all know they get more away fans than anyone else being a new ground and their home support is less than 2000 for the first season in the football league!

Home attendance
17th Cheltenham 3,034
19th FGR 2,675
difference 359

Away attendance
10th FGR 4,429
14th Cheltenham 4,145
difference 284

All
17th Cheltenham 3589
18th FGR 3,552
difference 37

Therefore remarkable good figures for a village club compared to local town rivals.
Robin, there is probably some truth in what you claim that the novelty factor will no longer attract some fans to newby FGR but FGR will almost certainly have a better season in EFL which will automatically attract greater crowds.
What have the average attendances of other clubs got to do with it?
Shade
Here we go, another thread where basic maths become quantum physics.
Artemis
The Old TomCat wrote:

Home attendance
17th Cheltenham 3,034
19th FGR 2,675
difference 359

Away attendance
10th FGR 4,429
14th Cheltenham 4,145
difference 284

All
17th Cheltenham 3589
18th FGR 3,552
difference 37

What have the average attendances of other clubs got to do with it?
Exactly, RCS. Total attendance at away games has JSA to do with anything in this context. And FGR home games are inflated by novelty factor attendances from visiting club supporters.

Look, we all know CTFC is a bigger club in terms of history, trophies and attendances. The only things FGR have got are the novelty factor (and the associated media coverage from the lovie brigade) - and the cash from being part of the marketing department of Ecotricity. Neither of which will last.
The Old TomCat
Johnsons Red Army wrote:F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN, F*CK FOREST GREEN
F*CK FOREST GREEN
:lol:
It was the FGR faithful who was singing that tune the loudest at last game between both sides at Whaddon Road.
Might even be same again next month.
Johnsons Red Army
I know, I was there.

That was the mickey mouse cup game where we fielded a weakened team against FGR's first team. Had it not been for those 1-2 minutes of Flatt errors late in the second half, I'm sure the game would've ended 1-0 to the Robins. To Flatt's credit though, I do remember him making some really good saves in the first half so I guess it all balances out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:I know, I was there.

That was the mickey mouse cup game where we fielded a weakened team against FGR's first team. Had it not been for those 1-2 minutes of Flatt errors late in the second half, I'm sure the game would've ended 1-0 to the Robins. To Flatt's credit though, I do remember him making some really good saves in the first half so I guess it all balances out.
OTC is the only one who views the tinpot games as real games worth caring about. Maybe for Ecotricity Franchise it is something to get excited about, but not for real teams.
Robin
DIdn't OTC also use that attendance as evidence that FGR crowds are gaining on ours...
Jerry St Clair
Oxford are 5 points off the relegation zone and their run-in consists basically of matches against the top 6 and bottom 6. They could easily get dragged into it. An A40 derby would be very welcome, right?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Oxford are 5 points off the relegation zone and their run-in consists basically of matches against the top 6 and bottom 6. They could easily get dragged into it. An A40 derby would be very welcome, right?
Bring it on. Been too long since the CTFC loyal queued to leave the retail park car park to join the queues of the ring road.

In all seriousness - I love the games vs Oxford and always one of the first fixtures I look for.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Bring it on. Been too long since the CTFC loyal queued to leave the retail park car park to join the queues of the ring road.
Its that because you forgot we stuffed them there earlier in the season, or a dig at the attendance levels for the Carabao Cup?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The former. Thought it was years since we played them. Thanks for reminder.
The Old TomCat
I'll get back to you guys near the ElGlosico game.
It was not my intention to upset anybody but only to correct RCS for his daft post.
Jerry St Clair
I’m sorry to hear that. Obviously the correct method of travelling to Oxford away is to catch the 10.30 Swanbrook coach from Royal Well. Get dropped off in St Giles in time for a few pints in the Lamb and Flag. Bus to ground watch game then bus back to St Giles for a couple of pints in the Eagle and Child before hopping on the 18.30 back to Cheltenham Spa, with the three points safely stored away in the luggage rack.

You’re welcome.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
I’m sorry to hear that. Obviously the correct method of travelling to Oxford away is to catch the 10.30 Swanbrook coach from Royal Well. Get dropped off in St Giles in time for a few pints in the Lamb and Flag. Bus to ground watch game then bus back to St Giles for a couple of pints in the Eagle and Child before hopping on the 18.30 back to Cheltenham Spa, with the three points safely stored away in the luggage rack.

You’re welcome.
Cheers for the advice! Sounds great!