Crawley Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CrawleyAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
art vandalay
Great start! And fantastic news for Pell who hasn't had the best of seasons but never gives less than 100% and IMO is a key part of the team.
Ralph
3 up away from home in the first half and no more comments? Well i'm happy. Great performance so far
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:3 up away from home in the first half and no more comments? Well i'm happy. Great performance so far
A bit more comment on the other thread, but yeah, sensational stuff so far. Let’s keep it up and boost everyone’s confidence before the Easter double bill.

Nige holding midfield letting Pell maraud forward and Winchester be puppet master with his passing?
longmover
3-0 up and coasting and skysports paying no attention at all to CTFC,all about Exeter
Ralph
Eisas goal should add a few more thousands to the fee
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:3-0 up and coasting and skysports paying no attention at all to CTFC,all about Exeter
Easter Monday: we put that record straight.

At least Sky recognise L1 and L2 are playing, unlike the publicly funded self serving dinosaur the BBC who don’t have an EFL live feed today as no Championship games on, let alone a live goals show, yet Scottish football and the People’s FA Cup have live feeds.
longmover
The BBC have live coverage of the people's cup
Ralph
I like the Crawley humour "Can you hear the Cheltenham sing - No No" at 1-5 down
vickeryc
Sensational stuff. Once again, as we all know, the Robins can tear anyone apart in this league WHEN they turn up.
Ralph
Flinders was unlucky with their 3rd. Could hold it at pace and they just got it in
longmover
Sounds like we 'got lost' in the 2nd half
longmover
I'm sure HP (in post match) said Crawley 'cheated a lot'
robinsrule
Amazing win!! Well done boys
Ralph
longmover wrote:Sounds like we 'got lost' in the 2nd half
Not at all. Good all round performance.
Shade
Sounds like Crawley just got back into it when we changed formation, which is disappointing for two reasons. 1) we can't play 4-4-2 again. At times 4-5-1 hasn't worked and lately 4-4-2 hasn't worked. 2) we let them back in with a sniff and had another of their chances gone in at 3-5 who knows what would have happened. Luckily they shot high and wide and lacked some quality, from what I heard.

Not that I'm disappointed with the overal resilt, mind.
Nesty
Another pointer that we are capable of big things with this squad, a couple of newbies in the summer and we could be player off contenders. I doubt we will hold on to Mo, but we will have cash to buy a replacement.
pas
Ilias, Nige,Winchester and Mo superb again yesterday. Have to say, in the first half, Crawley looked like the worst team I have seen this season or maybe just us totally dominating.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
pas wrote:Ilias, Nige,Winchester and Mo superb again yesterday. Have to say, in the first half, Crawley looked like the worst team I have seen this season or maybe just us totally dominating.
Judging by Pell’s comments, Gary and the players worked for some time on how Crawley play and the tactics needed to beat them. Applying our strengths to their weaknesses makes them look poor.

Pell: homework on Crawley paid off - https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/march/ha ... -reaction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
I'd hope we research *all* of our opponents, though?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I'd hope we research *all* of our opponents, though?
Nope, not to the same degree. As covered in the Echo this week Gary and Pete were able to go to Crawley vs Wycombe in person during the week. I find it unlikely that Gary or Pete were able to watch Carlisle yesterday or last week so will be relying on the usual scouting report ahead of Friday’s match. Scouting reports or video no substitute for Gary seeing the game in person.
Robin
pas wrote:Ilias, Nige,Winchester and Mo superb again yesterday. Have to say, in the first half, Crawley looked like the worst team I have seen this season or maybe just us totally dominating.
I like the look of Ilias and would be happy to see us sign him and Morrell for next season either permanently or on loan again.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:
I like the look of Ilias and would be happy to see us sign him and Morrell for next season either permanently or on loan again.
Completely agree, both have done really well for us. Ilias has been under the radar a bit and not really got the credit he deserves - improving noticeably with every game.
pas
Robin wrote:
Agree - different class to JC in my opinion. I think Morrell is set for higher things but it would be great if we could sign him.
horlickfanclub
Ilias has improved the left side and gets better every week. Morrell is work in progress and I'm not sure how much higher he will play.Maybe next season he will be placed in Div 1 so Bristol City can see how he goes .
Robin
Morrell is the sort of player we should be considering permanently especially if we sell Eisa, I think with time he could go up to league one but he's never a championship player in my opinion.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:I'd hope we research *all* of our opponents, though?
Nope, not to the same degree. As covered in the Echo this week Gary and Pete were able to go to Crawley vs Wycombe in person during the week. I find it unlikely that Gary or Pete were able to watch Carlisle yesterday or last week so will be relying on the usual scouting report ahead of Friday’s match. Scouting reports or video no substitute for Gary seeing the game in person.
Seeing a team live yourself compared to getting a match report and video from your scout are very different things, I'd imagine. Being able to take a look at the shape the defence keeps whilst the team attacks, or where the strikers go when they're defending - something the cameras never focus on, for example.
horlickfanclub
Morrell has a contract with Bristol City.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In recent interview Gary said re Morrell it depends if he can persuade Lee to let us have him, or if L1 / lower Championship is needed for player development.

I think if we have Mo and Winchester, LJ would be a fool not to let Morrell play alongside them.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Morrell has a contract with Bristol City.
Yes and they were on record as stating they were going to release him but gave him an extra year as reward for good form here, I'd imagine a reasonable five figure fee and they would sell him as he's never going to be a Championship player.