Cheltenham Town v Carlisle United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CarlisleH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
Two changes, team news now here: http://bit.ly/CarlisleH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
Come on you Robins
asl
Not a bad first half. Some good football without actually threatening the goals.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Stick the ball in the net. Lots of good play around the edge of the box but at times we don’t have anyone in the box so it peters out. Need Graham on to cross it to.
Alf
For the amount of possession we have round the box we should be scoring far more than we do and now we are one down to a really poor team. Wtf do we struggle to get results at home?
Nesty
Blame Gloucester for spoiling the pitch
Robin
Eisa was isolated and to be honest we lacked any decent balls into the box for the most part, Carlisle were able to do this though.
Shade
Always thought Clint Hill was a knob.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:For the amount of possession we have round the box we should be scoring far more than we do and now we are one down to a really poor team. Wtf do we struggle to get results at home?
Small pitch and as the onus on us. Whenever I watch Mo’s goals on highlights he seems to be bounding in acres of space, especially when cutting in from the flank. At home it is about two strides from the side line to penalty area and there are are three defenders in front of him as they are the team in defensive mode with the onus on us.

I despise inefficient and ineffective possession football when it produces naff all. The passing around the box whilst Carlisle congested the narrow pitch followed by a horrendous scooped or sliced shot is desperate stuff.

Improved later on when we could play diagonal balls to Graham or Pell.

But one up front at home and passing in front of opponents will not win home games.
asl
We looked a worse team when Graham came on... Thought he was meant to be a striker - yet he seemed to be playing in midfield when he first came on. Eisa was completely isolated in the second half.
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:For the amount of possession we have round the box we should be scoring far more than we do and now we are one down to a really poor team. Wtf do we struggle to get results at home?
Small pitch and as the onus on us. Whenever I watch Mo’s goals on highlights he seems to be bounding in acres of space, especially when cutting in from the flank. At home it is about two strides from the side line to penalty area and there are are three defenders in front of him as they are the team in defensive mode with the onus on us.

I despise inefficient and ineffective possession football when it produces naff all. The passing around the box whilst Carlisle congested the narrow pitch followed by a horrendous scooped or sliced shot is desperate stuff.

But one up front at home and passing in front of opponents will not win home games.

Not sure how you can say we improved later on - looked far more likely that Carlisle would score again than us equalising. Graham and Pell offered nothing.
Robin
Felt we were the better team until the penalty and our subs. Both Graham and Pell were poor when they came on but we also lost out shape and fluid passing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Not sure how you can say we improved later on - looked far more likely that Carlisle would score again than us equalising. Graham and Pell offered nothing.
Some of our most dangerous moments (ie when we got more than one or two players in the box and made Carlisle defenders anxious) came from diagonals to Pell. Much rather see a diagonal to Pell result in a corner or scramble than 20 passes on the box ending in Morrell or Winchester slicing another one well wide or trying to scoop it to Mo marked by four players.
joes dad
Robin wrote:Felt we were the better team until the penalty and our subs. Both Graham and Pell were poor when they came on but we also lost out shape and fluid passing.
And GJ confirmed this
The Old TomCat
FGR’s game at Yeovil waterlogged off so I took the opportunity to mingle with the Carlisle supporters and run the rule over Cheltenham in preparation for the ElGlosico match in a fortnight.
As I sat down the rain came down and immediately the away goalkeeping area turned into a muddy swamp.
The Carlisle supporters were very quiet and I was very impressed with the Red Army who were heard throughout the stadium.
The first booking after about 20 minutes even had the Carlisle supporters in disbelief. Why the referee booked for presumably preventing a goalscoring opportunity when he made tackle in own half beggars belief. Everybody around me said there would be plenty more bookings, which there was, because the referee had set such a ridiculous high bar for game on a rain soaked and muddy pitch.
About ten minutes before half-time one of the Cheltenham forwards thundered the ball less than a foot the wrong side of the Carlisle goalpost. I thought he was unlucky, so close and it could have changed the game.
First half few scoring opportunities. Same again for second half and game looked set for goalless draw. That is until Sellars was substituted and the guys around me breathed a sigh of relief and cheered up.
From what I saw of the penalty it was more a slightly mistimed tackle on a heavy pitch than deliberate.
My impression is that the Cheltenham forward line looked dangerous when they threatened the Carlisle goal but it was sporadic. A goalless draw would have been a fairer result.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:FGR’s game at Yeovil waterlogged off so I took the opportunity to mingle with the Carlisle supporters and run the rule over Cheltenham in preparation for the ElGlosico match in a fortnight.
As I sat down the rain came down and immediately the away goalkeeping area turned into a muddy swamp.
The Carlisle supporters were very quiet and I was very impressed with the Red Army who were heard throughout the stadium.
The first booking after about 20 minutes even had the Carlisle supporters in disbelief. Why the referee booked for presumably preventing a goalscoring opportunity when he made tackle in own half beggars belief. Everybody around me said there would be plenty more bookings, which there was, because the referee had set such a ridiculous high bar for game on a rain soaked and muddy pitch.
About ten minutes before half-time one of the Cheltenham forwards thundered the ball less than a foot the wrong side of the Carlisle goalpost. I thought he was unlucky, so close and it could have changed the game.
First half few scoring opportunities. Same again for second half and game looked set for goalless draw. That is until Sellars was substituted and the guys around me breathed a sigh of relief and cheered up.
From what I saw of the penalty it was more a slightly mistimed tackle on a heavy pitch than deliberate.
My impression is that the Cheltenham forward line looked dangerous when they threatened the Carlisle goal but it was sporadic. A goalless draw would have been a fairer result.

When 0-0 is a fair home result you can’t blame fans for not wanting to pay £20.
horlickfanclub
Grimes dropped Taylor Moore in the dung missing his header before the penalty but stayed on the pitch.Why did we have two centre halves on the bench and no wingers?When Graham came on he seemed to drift right and left leaving Mo down the middle. I doubt that was his choice. Poor tactics by the Manager who deflected the blame on to the subs .
Sellars was running well at Carlisle and apart from wandering inside and giving it away a few times had a really good game.He and Ilias had some good play going and he should have stayed on to link up with Graham and Mo.
Alf
We need other tactics than trying to work the ball to Elisa all the time. Makes defenders job easier. Our passing game cut through Carlisle for most of the first half but again, at home, we run out of ideas when we get to the opponents box. Some of the finishing was local league stuff and I felt there were times when we were making an extra unnecessary pass in the box whereas at Swindon and Crawley we were taking a bit of a chance and shooting early. We didn’t deserve to lose and I thought they conned the ref for the penalty. Their player knew exactly what he was doing. I did feel we lost our shape and composure after the subs were made but that’s with the benefit of hindsight and up until then I didn’t think we were doing a lot wrong besides scoring a goal. It’s so frustrating.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:We need other tactics than trying to work the ball to Elisa all the time. Makes defenders job easier. Our passing game cut through Carlisle for most of the first half but again, at home, we run out of ideas when we get to the opponents box. Some of the finishing was local league stuff and I felt there were times when we were making an extra unnecessary pass in the box whereas at Swindon and Crawley we were taking a bit of a chance and shooting early. We didn’t deserve to lose and I thought they conned the ref for the penalty. Their player knew exactly what he was doing. I did feel we lost our shape and composure after the subs were made but that’s with the benefit of hindsight and up until then I didn’t think we were doing a lot wrong besides scoring a goal. It’s so frustrating.
Not much wrong apart running out of ideas when we got to the box. That’s like me failing to bake a cake saying “I did everything right apart from turn the oven on”.
asl
Alf wrote:I thought they conned the ref for the penalty.
Really??? It looked cast iron from where I was in the Paddock! Unnecessary - but cast iron.
horlickfanclub
Cast iron .Grimes missed a header and Boyle passed it to the Carlisle player but Moore seemed to cop all the blame. The highlights seem to show a shirt pull by Boyle? that the Carlisle end thought was a penalty.http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 1-carlisle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Cast iron .Grimes missed a header and Boyle passed it to the Carlisle player but Moore seemed to cop all the blame. The highlights seem to show a shirt pull by Boyle? that the Carlisle end thought was a penalty.http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 1-carlisle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Same way Grimes will always cop the blame when left exposed by colleagues.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Cast iron .Grimes missed a header and Boyle passed it to the Carlisle player but Moore seemed to cop all the blame. The highlights seem to show a shirt pull by Boyle? that the Carlisle end thought was a penalty.http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 1-carlisle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see the highlights missed out all of the one-on-ones and penalty area chances we created and instead opted to show a weak effort from outside the box after we had no invention to get through their line.
asl
One-on-ones? That normally refers to an event involving the keeper? Are you referring to something different? The only reason their keeper's shirt was muddy was when he dived after that offside chance that hit the post in the first half. He had nothing to do apart from that and I certainly don't recall any one-on-one's...
Robin
asl wrote:One-on-ones? That normally refers to an event involving the keeper? Are you referring to something different? The only reason their keeper's shirt was muddy was when he dived after that offside chance that hit the post in the first half. He had nothing to do apart from that and I certainly don't recall any one-on-one's...
2nd half he made a save, spilled it then made a follow up save at close range from Eisa I'd guess this is the chance being spoken about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:One-on-ones? That normally refers to an event involving the keeper? Are you referring to something different? The only reason their keeper's shirt was muddy was when he dived after that offside chance that hit the post in the first half. He had nothing to do apart from that and I certainly don't recall any one-on-one's...
I was being sarcastic. Seems to be plenty on here who say we battered them, took the defence apart, peppered the goal etc, and I was mocking them.
asl
Sorry, you're right: I don't always recognise which of your persona is sat at the keyboard for each post.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Sorry, you're right: I don't always recognise which of your persona is sat at the keyboard for each post.
Depends who is using the log-in at the time!