FGR

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
At least we got some money from him to sit in the Carlisle end.
Robin
Huge game for FGR next week at Barnet, probably one from them Grimsby or Chesterfield for the last relegation spot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Huge game for FGR next week at Barnet, probably one from them Grimsby or Chesterfield for the last relegation spot.
It is huge. If Mad Dog gets 3 points vs FGR I fancy Barnet to stay up. Grimsby vs Chesterfield that day too.

Saturday 14th when we play FGR....Grimsby vs Barnet and Chesterfield vs Mansfield..

Be great if we beat FGR and results elsewhere send them in to the bottom two; the cheers and taunts from CTFC fans will be epic.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 02 Apr 2018, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
King giraffe iii
Ben2 wrote:
(For those who don’t know, FGR ‘fans’ regularly read this board, thus my fishing threads are such good fun. I know they all read them - would you believe OTC and Giraffe are some of the more rational end? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
You're gonna have to do better than that to make me do more than yawn.
King giraffe iii
Ben2 wrote:
Ben2 wrote:Yes - but you know football! They’ve got a run in where I’m not sure they’ll get another point!
Here we go....
I predict no less than 3 more points at worst.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
King giraffe iii wrote:
Ben2 wrote:
Ben2 wrote:Yes - but you know football! They’ve got a run in where I’m not sure they’ll get another point!
Here we go....
I predict no less than 3 more points at worst.
Thing is, whilst FGR have winnable games, in a head to head between Cooper and the likes of Mad Dog, Jolley, and Johnson it is the opponents who will be favourite.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Thing is, whilst FGR have winnable games, in a head to head between Cooper and the likes of Mad Dog, e, and Johnson it is the opponents who will be favourite.

Jolley? What's he ever done, other then get himself on the sex offenders register?

Beat Barnet next week and that's them gone imo. Be an interesting game, but they're bottom for a reason so I'd make us slight favourites. We'll take decent numbers there as well, last time we went there in the NL we took around 300, expecting similar this time to help roar us on to what would be a decisive win.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
300. Epic.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:300. Epic.
Will probably be about 25% of the crowd though tbf.

And after that of course it's our INVASION fixture at WR. What better place to guarantee our survival....
swellingsdownbelow
RegencyCheltenhamSpa said 300 epic

:oops: :oops: well, that’s 102 more than we took to Barnet.........198 official away attendance :oops: :oops:
Shade
swellingsdownbelow wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa said 300 epic

:oops: :oops: well, that’s 102 more than we took to Barnet.........198 official away attendance :oops: :oops:
Yeah, but if it was a game that really mattered, we'd be taking a hell of a lot more. When we went it was just another away game in December. Days before Xmas, in fact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On a similar theme to Shade’s point, can Crewe and is just agree a draw and not bother playing the last game? When you have been waiting since January for the mid table season to end, away at Crewe is hardly a finale to look forward to.

Would be good if CTFC fans sacked that off and went to FGR vs Grimsby instead. If it sends the visitors down we could do some great cod-baiting, give McKeown a proper send off, etc.
The Old TomCat
Sprout Picker wrote:
Interesting to see that you mention in your latest post how your 'heart was with Arsenal'. Any other sides you've supported over the years you might want to mention?!

Turn coat - the very worst kind of football 'supporter'.
Calling me Turncoat worries me not. I know it is a load of utter bullshine from some of you guys and is untrue.
However your explanation of reasoning for doing so is offensive to many of thousands of football supports throughout the country including probably many of Cheltenham’s Red Army.
Hundreds of thousands of people move home throughout their lives and many of them who are football fans choose to change their allegiance to follow a more local team, such as I have done.
Therefore to call thousands football fans Turncoats as you have implied is out of order. You should hang your head in shame.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Holy f#!$ you still don’t understand. Look, the numbers you gave have NOTHING to do with CTFC or FGR away attendances. They are averages of OTHER TEAMS’ home support. Get it??
Holy f#!$ it seems you don’t understand. Attendances was brought up by Sprout, despite his denial, and I replied in context of atmosphere. Bigger crowds usually generate greater atmosphere and FGR have been luckier than Cheltenham to have played in front of a greater number of supporters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Holy f#!$ you still don’t understand. Look, the numbers you gave have NOTHING to do with CTFC or FGR away attendances. They are averages of OTHER TEAMS’ home support. Get it??
Holy f#!$ it seems you don’t understand. Attendances was brought up by Sprout, despite his denial, and I replied in context of atmosphere. Bigger crowds usually generate greater atmosphere and FGR have been luckier than Cheltenham to have played in front of a greater number of supporters.
Sprout didn’t deny. As was clear to all, he was mocking your bizarre misuse of figures.

Of course we agree with your comments on atmosphere but that is not the point. Your statement was: “FGR's average away attendance numbers are already greater than Cheltenham: 4429 FGR & 4047 Cheltenham”.

That statement is incorrect. Incorrect. Those are not “average away attendance numbers” of FGR or CTFC. They are average home attendances of the away games FGR and CTFC have played. Do you understand now?

Really is a simple point which should have been grasped by you when first flagged months ago, which would have meant we wouldn’t need to be going on about it now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Thing is, whilst FGR have winnable games, in a head to head between Cooper and the likes of Mad Dog, e, and Johnson it is the opponents who will be favourite.

Jolley? What's he ever done, other then get himself on the sex offenders register?

Beat Barnet next week and that's them gone imo. Be an interesting game, but they're bottom for a reason so I'd make us slight favourites. We'll take decent numbers there as well, last time we went there in the NL we took around 300, expecting similar this time to help roar us on to what would be a decisive win.
According to OTC FGR take over 4,000 to away games so 300 sounds poor.
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:
Interesting to see that you mention in your latest post how your 'heart was with Arsenal'. Any other sides you've supported over the years you might want to mention?!

Calling me Turncoat worries me not. I know it is a load of utter bullshine from some of you guys and is untrue.
However your explanation of reasoning for doing so is offensive to many of thousands of football supports throughout the country including probably many of Cheltenham’s Red Army.
Hundreds of thousands of people move home throughout their lives and many of them who are football fans choose to change their allegiance to follow a more local team, such as I have done.
Therefore to call thousands football fans Turncoats as you have implied is out of order. You should hang your head in shame.
Not thousands - Just you Old TurnCoat.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

Not thousands - Just you Old TurnCoat.
If there are others they are TurnCoats too. Yes, you may watch a local team for your fix and not get a chance to visit your team, but you never stop supporting them.

I am in the North East, Ralph is in the US. We have posters in Cyprus, previous posters from Australia, Moscow and DC. We may all watch local teams as we enjoy football, but we are not fans or supporters of these teams - we are still Cheltenham fans. Likewise we have people on the CTFC home terraces who come to games but are still loyal to their first team, whether in Scotland, London or other regions. A fan of a different L2 side has sat next to me a few times this season for example, exiled from home and using a spare ST seat. But they have not switched allegiances and for you to suggest they no longer support their home town team is out of order.

And it is not like you have moved to Australia is it. If you did move from Cheltenham to Stroud that’s 30 mins down the road, hardly far enough away to have to find another side. Or is your mind and outlook that small and parochial. People travel further than you from within Gloucestershire for every CTFC home game.
King giraffe iii
Ben2 wrote:He’s winding you up guys :roll:

I baited him, he baited this board. God it’s so obvious
Surely not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:He’s winding you up guys :roll:

I baited him, he baited this board. God it’s so obvious
He needs to get better, speed wise. Sometimes takes two days to reply to one of my goads - no entertainment to be had from such a slow wum.
Alf
I could understand us chucking all this abuse at FGR if we were top of the league but we’re hardly setting div 2 alight ourselves. Does anyone remember a team called Gloucester City?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I could understand us chucking all this abuse at FGR if we were top of the league but we’re hardly setting div 2 alight ourselves. Does anyone remember a team called Gloucester City?
No abuse to FGR. Mainly just at OTC’s sub-human grasp of attendance figures.
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

Good to see you've worked out how to use the quote function now. Just got to get to grips with attendance figures and you'll be making real progress.

Hang my head in shame?! :lol: Keep them coming Turn Coat, Gloucester City next is it?
Alf
Alf wrote:I could understand us chucking all this abuse at FGR if we were top of the league but we’re hardly setting div 2 alight ourselves. Does anyone remember a team called Gloucester City?
Rubbish. You’re slagging them off all the time.
Shade
Gloucester City? Who are they?
The Old TomCat
Now you know that is a bullshine statement as do I and all others reading this forum.
However I am enormously grateful to you and Sprout and a few others in reminding everybody on The Robin's Nest that this year the village club have played in front of thousands of more paying customers than Cheltenham TOWN. And that's despite Cheltenham recording a small advantage in attendance numbers for home fixtures.

Score now about 3 or 4 to OTC and nil to RCS. :D :lol: :lol:
The Old TomCat
Ben2 wrote:Thanks guys - as expected my post has led to an episode better than eastenders.

Keep it up

(For those who don’t know, FGR ‘fans’ regularly read this board, thus my fishing threads are such good fun. I know they all read them - would you believe OTC and Giraffe are some of the more rational end? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
If that was reason for starting thread, I thank you.
Obviously with ElGlosico a week away fans from both teams will be checking out the oppositions forums.
I'm having great fun swatting away misleading posts which only leaves my detractors from making personal jibes.
Great - it means I'm winning the argument.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:
Rubbish. You’re slagging them off all the time.
I like the idea of FGR and 3 or 4 years was advocating their promotion to the league. I even rounded up some mates in Tyneside to watch their play off tie vs Rovers.

I am a proud supporter of Gloucestershire sport and football and hope the County has more than one or two League sides in future. Gloucester City fans would be a credit to the League and the two tenets of sustainability (environmental and social) which FGR promote show the world that Shirefolk like to do things properly and ethically.

However, whilst I would like to back FGR’s survival bid there are off-the-pitch issues with senior management and Directors which no football fan can condone.

First the hypocrisy (personally my most detested human act): no regard for economic sustainability, making their other sustainability activities look like a hollow marketing gimmick. A kick in the teeth for all involved in sustainability.

Secondly, Vince’s sheer arrogance, disrespect for the game and his treatment of away fans. They claim to stand up for animal welfare, but happy to treat other humans, including fellow Shirefolk like s#!t.

Thirdly, Mark Cooper is a nepotistic charlatan. He mismanages his squad, assembled at vast expense - funded by fans, and also Ecotricity customers like myself - putting his ego and desire to get one over on the fans he dislikes ahead of what is best for the club.

Luckily characters like Vince and creatures like Cooper are transient features in the proud history and future of FGR. One day I hope again to enjoy FGR success and look forward to them doing well alongside us in the League. But that isn’t possible under the regime. I like the Club but not the regime. And unfortunately, the quickest way to get rid of the regime is for the club to fail and collapse forcing them out, before rising again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Now you know that is a bullshine statement as do I and all others reading this forum.
However I am enormously grateful to you and Sprout and a few others in reminding everybody on The Robin's Nest that this year the village club have played in front of thousands of more paying customers than Cheltenham TOWN. And that's despite Cheltenham recording a small advantage in attendance numbers for home fixtures.

Score now about 3 or 4 to OTC and nil to RCS. :D :lol: :lol:
It is you who came up with the bullshine figure not me. To quote you again: “FGR's average away attendance numbers are already greater than Cheltenham: 4429 FGR & 4047 Cheltenham”.

So on the one hand you say the average away support for FGR is 4429, and now when that is referenced you say that is bullshine! Which is it?

Unless what you mean is that 4,429 is not the FGR away attendance but is the home attendance of the teams FGR have played away at. Likewise for the 4,047 figure for Cheltenham.

So please clarify once and for all. Do you stand by your comment that “FGR's average away attendance numbers are 4429” or do you intend to clarify that those numbers actually relate to the average home team crowds in games FGR have played away.

I don’t care which team has played in front of more fans, I am just trying to get you to understand this basic point.
Shade
More home fans would turn up when their team is playing FGR as they think there is a higher chance of seeing their team win.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:More home fans would turn up when their team is playing FGR as they think there is a higher chance of seeing their team win.
That may be the case, but doesn’t explain OTC trying to claim them as part of the FGR away contingent!!
Shade
Also, just to clarify, CTFC have played 20 home games so far and have had 60,755 through the gates at an average of 3038.
FGR have played 21 games at home so far and have had 56.532 through the gates, at an average of 2692 per game.

Interestingly, found this:
Cheltenham's League crowds
-------------League-Av. gate
1999-00 Div 3 --- 4146
2000-01 Div 3 ---3695
2001-02 Div 3 ---4074
2002-03 Div 2 ---4655
2003-04 Div 3 ---4116
2004-05 L2-------3648
2005-06 L2-------3453
2006-07 L1-------4358
2007-08 L1-------4310
2008-09 L1-------3854
2009-10 L2-------3185
2010-11 L2-------2980
2011-12 L2-------3424
2012-13 L2-------2869

"Gradually, as the club has established itself, the novelty has worn off." - PB
Shade
Shade wrote:More home fans would turn up when their team is playing FGR as they think there is a higher chance of seeing their team win.
That may be the case, but doesn’t explain OTC trying to claim them as part of the FGR away contingent!!
I know, just explaining why they have "attracted" higher total crowds away from home. It's not like FGR even get a cut of the money for these games, is it.
asl
I cannot believe how many people appear to give a sh1t about OTC... Yes, his grasp of numbers sometimes makes Robin look like Good Will Hunting - but why he should cause as much debate as he does when there's plenty of purebred CTFC fans on The Nest who are just as anal as he is, I just don't understand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I cannot believe how many people appear to give a sh1t about OTC... Yes, his grasp of numbers sometimes makes Robin look like Good Will Hunting - but why he should cause as much debate as he does when there's plenty of purebred CTFC fans on The Nest who are just as anal as he is, I just don't understand.
Cos usually if I bombard the forum enough they quit or admit defeat but this lad keeps popping up for more! :lol: :lol: