FGR

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
FYI no GWR train service on Saturday. Bus service from swindon
Jerry St Clair
The Old TomCat wrote:
Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. Ok, so ALL fans are treated abysmally at TNL then. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. You mean at Whaddon Road, built in 1927 and gradually developed over the best part of 80 years as the club progressed up the leagues? As opposed to TNL which is a purpose built 21st century stadium built with league football in mind yet still manages to be inadequate?
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out. You're probably right. But fans who don't want to stand, or are unable to stand won't attend because FGR have made them unwelcome. Are you happy with that?
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect. OK, club staff are nice. Personally, I thought they were too. No mention of your chairman in that post though.
Chris FGR
I agree that our treatment of away fans could be, and used to be, a lot better. One positive on that front is that next season there will be some cover + seating for awaa fans next season.
Oldun
Is that to comply with National League regulations?
Ralph
Oldun wrote:Is that to comply with National League regulations?
:lol:

Seriously OTC is totally deranged

Didn't realize that every teams fans that visits there has the questionnaire to fill in, but with him saying they are all treated the same, that must be true
Si Robin
Has a Cheltenham v FGR or FGR v Cheltenham game ever been a sell-out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there hasn't ever been a single sell-out tie between the two clubs.
The Old TomCat
Jerry St Clair wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. Ok, so ALL fans are treated abysmally at TNL then. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. You mean at Whaddon Road, built in 1927 and gradually developed over the best part of 80 years as the club progressed up the leagues? As opposed to TNL which is a purpose built 21st century stadium built with league football in mind yet still manages to be inadequate?
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out. You're probably right. But fans who don't want to stand, or are unable to stand won't attend because FGR have made them unwelcome. Are you happy with that?
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect. OK, club staff are nice. Personally, I thought they were too. No mention of your chairman in that post though.
1. Cheltenham's first year in Football League had similar problems to what FGR are now experiencing. Perhaps you are too young to know.
6. Your point is one that Chris has already addressed. Nobody at TNL is happy with the current arrangements for away fans. Next season there will be seating for those that you have mentioned who cannot stand. BTW I have complained to FGR management about the situation and will agree I would prefer better whenever I travel to away match.
7. I did not mention Mr Vince because original post did not either.
But seeing you ask I will say that Dale Vince is:
taller than Paul Baker
richer than Paul Baker
employs more people than Paul Baker
has opened the sporting world to the benefits of a vegan menu: stars like Lewis Hamilton or Mo Farrah and more
Oh did I mention that he is taller than Paul Baker
And of course under Mr Vince's stewardship FGR have been promoted to the Football League.
The Old TomCat
Oldun wrote:Is that to comply with National League regulations?
EFL stadium standards are compatible with National League standards.
The Old TomCat
Si Robin wrote:Has a Cheltenham v FGR or FGR v Cheltenham game ever been a sell-out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there hasn't ever been a single sell-out tie between the two clubs.
Yes.
2015 I was sat in a designated FGR area next to my Cheltenham mate surrounded by plenty of Cheltenham supporters who found the away end sold out.
Same this season. ElGlosico will be the highest attended match of season at TNL and could be same for a league match at WR.
In 2015/16 the highest attended game for both clubs, home and away, was ElGlosico.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Dear snowflake,
1. Cheltenham's first year in Football League had similar problems to what FGR are now experiencing. Perhaps you are too young to know.
6. Your point is one that Chris has already addressed. Nobody at TNL is happy with the current arrangements for away fans. Next season there will be seating for those that you have mentioned who cannot stand. BTW I have complained to FGR management about the situation and will agree I would prefer better whenever I travel to away match.
taller than Paul Baker
richer than Paul Baker
has opened the sporting world to the benefits of a vegan menu: stars like Lewis Hamilton or Mo Farrah and more
And of course under Mr Vince's stewardship FGR have been promoted to the Football League.
Is this really what we sink to?

Baker is a football man. Vince isn’t.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Has a Cheltenham v FGR or FGR v Cheltenham game ever been a sell-out.

Yes.
2015 I was sat in a designated FGR area next to my Cheltenham mate surrounded by plenty of Cheltenham supporters who found the away end sold out.
Same this season. ElGlosico will be the highest attended match of season at TNL and could be same for a league match at WR.
In 2015/16 the highest attended game for both clubs, home and away, was ElGlosico.
How many you sold for WR?
Ihearye
The Old TomCat wrote:

Yes.
May be wrong here, but is the definition of a sell-out ALL seats / standing areas sold? Not that there wasn't much room in the away end or that it was a large gate?. Tend to side with Ralph on this one. Never been a sell out. Also find all this ElGlosico a nonsense. If it was so important, then it would sell out or at least be close to it. Especially as you are only down the road. Plenty of space in the home end, should you happen to sell all your allocation
Robin
The Old TomCat wrote:

Yes.
You are the gift who keeps on giving. We had over 5000 against Swindon and sure to have at least that versus Coventry. I not confident we will have 4000 versus FGR and the two games where we were competing at the top of the conference is not a fair measurement either. I remember the two games before that crowd at Whaddon Road was around 3500 on a Tuesday night where you lot brought around 100-150 who all wished us well with winning the league (two weeks later we had over 7000 in the ground). The away game there was around 1700 at the New Lawn including over a thousand from Cheltenham again on a Tuesday night when we had two full sides of the ground.

You seem to be building up two important games when we won the conference into some huge fictious rivalry.
Lord Elpuz
The Old TomCat wrote:
Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. Next season away supporters will see an improvement in hospitality from what everybody at TNL considers is currently unsatisfactory.
2. The weather this winter has been bad and to have the Burco Boiler break down in unfortunate. You answer your own complaint by saying the lack of warm drinks was down to breakdown.
3. Food at TNL is almost certainly better than most at any club in the country. FGR have won quite a few awards for what it serves to supporters.
4. The marquee (not tent) is on par to many indoor supporter’s bars in many clubs in country.
5. On Saturday all supporters from both teams will enter WR stadium via a small turnstile. No different from TNL. And in the case of an emergency at TNL there is a huge double gate for fans to evacuate the ground. It is used at end of game.
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out.
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect.

BTW cftc-fan, most FGR fans happily eat non vegan food and every club offers a varied diet in their boardroom. So it would not unduly worry those FGR reps in the Cheltenham boardroom if only a meat dinner was on offer.
Is the way you have addressed me a deliberate racist slur? Please desist if so.

One Burco Boiler for 1,000 visiting fans, with NO backup, not even a basic kettle? Tin pot club. You don’t even mention the 3rd world sanitation without any running water. It was a health hazard, as were the part frozen ‘shallow-fried’ onion balls. As for the tent “being on a par to many indoor supporter’s bars” are you serious??????? Have you even inspected it? Your away fans ‘bar’ is a tiny makeshift opening under one of the stands, dirty and dank, with piles of rubbish and what looks like homeless people’s blankets piled up at each end. It should be closed down by Health Inspectors inoculated against Typhoid, Ebola and the Plague.

You have surpassed yourself this time Old Turd Clot, like a haemorrhoid, a pain in the @rse with your sycophantic adulation of your superannuated hippie. When you finally wake up you will realise what a hopeless mess it has become.
Last edited by Lord Elpuz on 10 Apr 2018, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
FGR's cup final on Saturday, that's for sure.

There were many, many seats available in the main stand when CTFC went to FGR last November, and there were huge amounts of space in the old away behind the goal end as well.

It's no surprise the CTFC-FGR games were the highest attended in 15/16 as we were both going for the title, hadn't played each other for a long time, and it's a tinpot league with small attendances. Even still, FGR 2-2 CTFC was only watched by a pitiful 3127 and the WR fixture had 5449.
Ralph
The only person that goes on about El Glosico is OldTurnCoat himself.

I really hope and pray they go down. Dale Vince got em into the FL, proclaimed that they were going to walk L2 and got them relegated back into the Conference the very next season. That would be hysterical. The only team to ever achieve that feat. He doesn't care about FGR, just Ecotricity and the column inches in the press that will be generated by their relegation will be good for Ecotricity.
Si Robin
The Old TomCat wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Dear snowflake,
taller than Paul Baker
richer than Paul Baker
Going to have to correct you here, whilst we started slowly, we were never in any danger of relegation, in fact on the last day of our first Football League season we were in pole position for the playoffs only to lose away at Southend with Hartlepool taking our place in 7th.

Oh, and Paul Baker has stewarded Cheltenham to sort of success that Dale Vince can only dream of, and I'm willing to bet he's spent less in his 20 years as chairman than Vince in his less than 10 at FGR.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
F*ck FGR. Grubby Club. OTC proving they have no dignity or class. A f#!$ disgrace to Gloucestershire. Smash ‘em this weekend.
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:Let’s just make sure those questions and answers for the FGR supporters are nice and tough...

No vegetarian options on the catering either, especially in the hospitality boxes....
After the disgracefully inhospitable way the Cheltenham fans were treated by Stale Mince and his cronies at TNL on 25th November, we should show that superannuated hippie how to treat decent and loyal football fans by putting on a subsidised pig roast before the game at LCI next week.

I am still fuming at the way we were treated at TNL and will never go there again whilst the Mince is still running (down) TNL. Just to recap: one grotty little tent serving bottled beer and cold drinks, no warm drinks as the Burco Boiler had died on a freezing cold day and no back up. Poor standard food from another little tent serving deep fried part frozen onion balls in baps. 4 grotty portalloos for nearly 1000 CTFC fans and no running water in them. Not welcome in their bar to try and get warm. Herded like cattle in and out of the ground through an inadequate gate (dangerous if crowd had to be quickly evacuated or ambulance crew required). And they were just the best bits of the day.

The way they treated Mr Paul Baker, our Chairman, was absolutely disgusting.
Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. Next season away supporters will see an improvement in hospitality from what everybody at TNL considers is currently unsatisfactory.
2. The weather this winter has been bad and to have the Burco Boiler break down in unfortunate. You answer your own complaint by saying the lack of warm drinks was down to breakdown.
3. Food at TNL is almost certainly better than most at any club in the country. FGR have won quite a few awards for what it serves to supporters.
4. The marquee (not tent) is on par to many indoor supporter’s bars in many clubs in country.
5. On Saturday all supporters from both teams will enter WR stadium via a small turnstile. No different from TNL. And in the case of an emergency at TNL there is a huge double gate for fans to evacuate the ground. It is used at end of game.
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out.
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect.

BTW cftc-fan, most FGR fans happily eat non vegan food and every club offers a varied diet in their boardroom. So it would not unduly worry those FGR reps in the Cheltenham boardroom if only a meat dinner was on offer.
More piffle. I can assure you OTC that the large emergency exit you mention was not open when I left TNL. All the CTFC supporters in that little terrace were filing slowly through an exit not much wider than a normal doorway.

It's all very well likening things to WR twenty years ago but as others have said your ground is new and was supposed to be a modern facility designed with league football in mind. I was shocked at how bad the facilities were and how badly we were treated. To have such a lack of seating available for disabled and older supporters in this day and age is a disgrace and you should hang your head in shame if you think that is acceptable.

The catering and toilets were completely inadequate. Genuinely on a par with a visit to Saltergate, a ground that had had nothing spent on the away end for decades.

And with reference to your comments on Paul Baker, I can only assume that you must be Mr Vince's poodle.

Are you going to change your club colours again next time Ecotricity change their corporate branding?! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well said Sprout. Absolutely gutless and spineless by OTC to try and defend the indefensible. If such inadequacies were raised about CTFC this forum would be the first to condemn them and call for change, whereas the pathetic snivelling OTC tries to justify it.
Malabus
Just about to register on their forum and see how long it takes for the carrot munchers to ban me. During the registration process you are asked for your real name and address which against my privacy beliefs.
Ralph
Malabus wrote:Just about to register on their forum and see how long it takes for the carrot munchers to ban me. During the registration process you are asked for your real name and address which against my privacy beliefs.
I've been saying that for ages. They want your phone number and post code too
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Malabus wrote:Just about to register on their forum and see how long it takes for the carrot munchers to ban me. During the registration process you are asked for your real name and address which against my privacy beliefs.
I once tried to enter false details and my registration was denied.

Some comedy gold on page 3 of this thread: http://forum.fgrfc.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Will be interesting come May 28th to see how they (and indeed here) meet the new GDPR regulations
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:
I once tried to enter false details and my registration was denied.

Some comedy gold on page 3 of this thread: http://forum.fgrfc.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost as much guff on that thread as there is on this one.
Robin
Wow I don't know if they are trolling or genuinely deluded reading those comments.
asl
They're right in saying that we seem to give them far more bandwidth than we do our own team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:They're right in saying that we seem to give them far more bandwidth than we do our own team.
Got to have something to talk about between games. With our season ending in January, apart from Mo hunting down Kee there is not much to be interested in midweek. Hopefully next season we have something to talk about up until the end of the season!
Robin
asl wrote:They're right in saying that we seem to give them far more bandwidth than we do our own team.
I'd agree with that not sure why they are so popular on here, I know most CTFC fans saw them as a second team and the owner has annoyed a few but not worthy on such frequent discussion.
The Old TomCat
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Is the way you have addressed me a deliberate racist slur? Please desist if so.

One Burco Boiler for 1,000 visiting fans, with NO backup, not even a basic kettle? Tin pot club. You don’t even mention the 3rd world sanitation without any running water. It was a health hazard, as were the part frozen ‘shallow-fried’ onion balls. As for the tent “being on a par to many indoor supporter’s bars” are you serious??????? Have you even inspected it? Your away fans ‘bar’ is a tiny makeshift opening under one of the stands, dirty and dank, with piles of rubbish and what looks like homeless people’s blankets piled up at each end. It should be closed down by Health Inspectors inoculated against Typhoid, Ebola and the Plague.

You have surpassed yourself this time Old Turd Clot, like a haemorrhoid, a pain in the @rse with your sycophantic adulation of your superannuated hippie. When you finally wake up you will realise what a hopeless mess it has become.[/quote]

Dear snowflake,
The term "snowflake generation" was one of Collins Dictionary's 2016 words of the year. Collins defines the term as "the young adults of the 2010s, viewed as being less resilient and more prone to taking offence than previous generations".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Your reply certainly indicates I was not wrong in addressing you as such.
The Old TomCat
Robin wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Yes.
You are the gift who keeps on giving. We had over 5000 against Swindon and sure to have at least that versus Coventry. I not confident we will have 4000 versus FGR and the two games where we were competing at the top of the conference is not a fair measurement either. I remember the two games before that crowd at Whaddon Road was around 3500 on a Tuesday night where you lot brought around 100-150 who all wished us well with winning the league (two weeks later we had over 7000 in the ground). The away game there was around 1700 at the New Lawn including over a thousand from Cheltenham again on a Tuesday night when we had two full sides of the ground.

You seem to be building up two important games when we won the conference into some huge fictious rivalry.
Robin, you and a few other are really hung up about attendances. In fact does it matter as long as there are enough fans coming through the turnstiles to pay the club’s wages.
However I can understand your concerns because Cheltenham seemingly have reached a maximum attendance ceiling and it seems unlikely to increase even if club strike lucky and get promoted.

FGR have seen their attendances gradually increase over a decade and are now only a few hundred below that of Cheltenham. However I don’t expect that number to increase significantly until FGR are promoted to EFL1 within next three years.

The new stadium at Eastington will not be open for about 5 years which will obviously restrict further high increase of attendances at FGR.
After that attendances can and will dramatically improve. Football is the only major team sport in Stroud area unlike Cheltenham where half of those interested in team sport watch Gloucester Rugby.

BTW, highest attendance for any match at TNL this season is visit of Cheltenham [3641] and this compares to previous visit of Cheltenham in 2015 of 3127, also best of season.
In 2015 the visit of FGR to WR attracted 5449 fans, your highest attendance of that season against average of 2864.
Therefore for me to forecast 5500 seems about right.
I’d love ElGlosico to have over 6259 at game and match visit of West Ham but it seems unlikely.
And I can confidently claim another huge crowd because it is a derby game which will attract once-a-year local fans. Last visit of FGR to WR created much debate on Robin’s Nest on how to get them to matches more often.

Agreed you still have visit of Coventry and they possibly have biggest away support in league and it is fairly close to get to. However I don’t think their number will be much different to visit of Swindon or FGR.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Baker is a football man. Vince isn’t.
Your comment gave me chance to check your words and to be frank they do not stack up and in fact Dale Vince OBE is by far a better overall football man than Paul Baker.
Paul Baker is solely Cheltenham Town FC.

Your comment could equally apply to other chairman such as Roman Abramovich [Russian chairman of Chelsea the Premiership title holders] or Stanley Kroenke [American chairman of Arsenal current FA Cup holders]. Just two high profile examples of dozens of other who came into English football later in their business career, such as Dale Vince.

Both PB & DV have had businesses outside football and I’m pretty certain neither man has ever played professional football. I don’t know about PB but I know DV played amateur football as a youth.
Therefore neither man has been indoctrinated into football from youth but naturally developed a love of the game.

I must admit I do admire PB for his dedication to CTFC, very much so. I leant from one of his family friends that when married to his former wife he exasperated her by spending all his spare cash/time on the club rather than on themselves. She would have loved to have taken a world cruise but there was never money/time for them do it even though she had a very high profile and well paid job.

PB’s football outlook is very insular and only devoted towards his own club whereas DV has a much wider vision in footballing matters. DV’s companies has in the past sponsored Shortwood Town FC & I also believe Bishop Cleeve FC.
DV is a visionary in he has changed the thinking and eating habits of thousands of professional athletes (including footballers) for the better by educating them of the benefits of veganism.
DV has insisted that TNL is as environmental friendly as is possible. Now other clubs come to FGR for advice.
DV is always being interviewed as chairman of FGR by national and international newspapers. I doubt if anybody outside Cheltenhamshire has ever heard of PB. Therefore DV has done more to publicise English football in a short period of time than PB has ever done in his lifetime.

Researching this reply I came across the fascinating fact that Cheltenham are more likely to become insolvent and fall down to Conference football than ever FGR. When PB is finished with club for whatever reason, be it death from old age, there does not appear to be a ready made successor. He has subsidised the club for decades and cannot find another wealthy benefactor despite repeated asking. I suppose nobody wants to digs their hand into their pocket when there are so many more popular sports in Cheltenham area such as Rugby (more Gloucester shirts worn in Cheltenham than for CTFC) or Horse Racing.
Stroud [FGR] does not have those distractions.
And PB is a lot older than DV who has made contingency plans for the club’s future.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You can’t give Vince credit for influencing Mo Farrah and others. Absolutely laughable to even suggest that.

There is plenty CTFC could learn, along the lines of catering and food sustainability, water harvesting and the type of grass and groundskeeping technology. But managing the finances and respecting football fans is not one of them.

As for your comment that attendances don’t matter as long as fans cover the wage bill? That would explain the cumulative £5m+ losses in the last two FGR accounts would it? Run a club at a loss...great vision for football that. As well as plans to rip the club out of the community to a motorway with no public transport - I always thought Vince’s values were against such unsustainable practices but obviously not.

And Baker does not bankroll the club. He has not stood down as no decent football people have come forward and he doesn’t want CTFC to be taken over by crooks like so many clubs have. Financially the club will survive without Baker as it is self-financing, so I don’t know what you researched but it is absolute nonsense.

And who cares if no-one has heard of PB outside of Glos? That is decent and understated and getting on with the job, not crass ostentatious publicity hunting. This isn’t Essex it’s Gloucestershire - we don’t like crass and bling - give us a knackered Land Rover Defender over a wankish Range Rover any day of the week. So you may think marketing Ecotricity and himself nationally and internationally is doing a good thing for football but it is just gross self-publicity and more of a distraction to football than rugby or racing is.

And Stroud is rugger bugger as much as anywhere in Glos if not more so. Loads head in to Kingsholm from there. Marling School in Stroud is a huge rugby school. Thriving amateur set up at Stroud rugby club etc etc.

I can only assume you are on a total wind-up because if you genuinely believe what you wrote above you are fundamentally deluded verging on derranged and an absolute embarrassment.
asl
You may not be aware, OTC, but PB stood on the terraces with the rest of the hoi-polloi long before he became a director, let alone chairman. I don't know if DV can similarly recall that friendly little club from Nailsworth who played in black and white stripes?
Robin
OTC I honestly don't know if you are trolling or delusional.

CTFC crowds have clearly not hit a ceiling as we've averaged much higher in the past and likely would again with some success. You fail to take into account the huge numbers of away fans at your ground vs ours being a debut ground for the majority, you fail to consider this is your best every season and one of our worst in the past twenty years.

I honestly don't see much more than 4000 there on Saturday and that's with 5-600 of your lot coming which by last sales seems generous.