FGR

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Coz there's fack all else to do on here mid-week.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Coz there's fack all else to do on here mid-week.
Not even many Echo advert links to rail against.

What this shows is that in seasons where you are out of both the relegation and promotion picture by the end of January the interesting and useful conversation ends.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:I cannot believe how many people appear to give a sh1t about OTC... Yes, his grasp of numbers sometimes makes Robin look like Good Will Hunting - but why he should cause as much debate as he does when there's plenty of purebred CTFC fans on The Nest who are just as anal as he is, I just don't understand.
Cos usually if I bombard the forum enough they quit or admit defeat but this lad keeps popping up for more! :lol: :lol:
The reason I post on this forum is because I have plenty of friends who are Cheltenham supporters and they are decent and friendly.
The only ones who are otherwise seem to congregate on this forum.
I'll tell you something for nothing and that there are plenty of Cheltenham fans who refuse to read The Robin's Nest because of the bullying unpleasant written retorts by a few individuals in reply to those who who have different opinions. And I'm not talking about myself but to members of the Red Army.
It is a problem that you guys need to sort out.

And I will continue to defend FGR because there are so many falsehood written on here concerning FGR that I am duty bound to correct them all. And I am always honest as some other posters have stated in my defence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
asl wrote:I cannot believe how many people appear to give a sh1t about OTC... Yes, his grasp of numbers sometimes makes Robin look like Good Will Hunting - but why he should cause as much debate as he does when there's plenty of purebred CTFC fans on The Nest who are just as anal as he is, I just don't understand.
Cos usually if I bombard the forum enough they quit or admit defeat but this lad keeps popping up for more! :lol: :lol:
The reason I post on this forum is because I have plenty of friends who are Cheltenham supporters and they are decent and friendly.
The only ones who are otherwise seem to congregate on this forum.
I'll tell you something for nothing and that there are plenty of Cheltenham fans who refuse to read The Robin's Nest because of the bullying unpleasant written retorts by a few individuals in reply to those who who have different opinions. And I'm not talking about myself but to members of the Red Army.
It is a problem that you guys need to sort out.

And I will continue to defend FGR because there are so many falsehood written on here concerning FGR that I am duty bound to correct them all. And I am always honest as some other posters have stated in my defence.
Are you still claiming FGR’s average away attendance is 4,429? Or do you now accept that is the average home attendance of the teams FGR have played?

This point is nothing about opinions, or attacking FGR. It is a basic factual issue and it concerns me you seem unable to understand. Answer the question please.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Be 4,429 disappointed FGR fans on the way home.

Let’s get some quick thinking ahead of next game. The Club should order a run of red and white scarves, t-shirts and flags. Any two £10 and free entry to the game. Fill WR. Open the bar early, sell food in the car park; arrange a Liverpool inspired welcome for the FGR bus. Make it known to every player that under the current regime they are not welcome in the Football League and bring Gloucestershire in to disrepute. Then a crowd of solid red and white to greet them on the pitch.
Malabus
FGR really in the sh1t when they are heavily defeated at WR and Barnet cruise to another three points.

Cheltenham fans all love Martin James Allen really.

King giraffe iii
He'll be the only optimistic FGR fan ahead of next Saturday. And I'm gonna miss it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Thing is, whilst FGR have winnable games, in a head to head between Cooper and the likes of Mad Dog, e, and Johnson it is the opponents who will be favourite.

Jolley? What's he ever done, other then get himself on the sex offenders register?

Beat Barnet next week and that's them gone imo. Be an interesting game, but they're bottom for a reason so I'd make us slight favourites. We'll take decent numbers there as well, last time we went there in the NL we took around 300, expecting similar this time to help roar us on to what would be a decisive win.
Jolley, Johnson and Mad Dog all won today whilst Cooper orchestrated a defeat against the team who started bottom of the whole football league.
Robin
If we play anything like we did for the first thirty minutes today you will win easily Giraffe. We are a real Jekyll and Hyde team and rarely string wins together hence our lower mid-table position.

Suspect next week will be a draw in all honesty.
King giraffe iii
Robin wrote:If we play anything like we did for the first thirty minutes today you will win easily Giraffe. We are a real Jekyll and Hyde team and rarely string wins together hence our lower mid-table position.

You haven't seen how Cooper can sap the life out of reasonable players and turn them into carthorses.

What will happen is Cooper will play for the 0-0 and we'll endlessly pass the ball around at the back, achieving nothing. Bradley Collins will make some awful howler from a tame shot from thirty yards out in the first half and that will be it.

I actually think we're f00ked.
Robin
Hang in there, Chesterfield cannot seem to buy a win and Barnet still need to win three out of their last four to realistically over take you at the end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If we play anything like we did for the first thirty minutes today you will win easily Giraffe. We are a real Jekyll and Hyde team and rarely string wins together hence our lower mid-table position.

Gary getting the boys fired up. Post match today he said next week is like a play off game and he is glad FGR have something to fight for to help give the game edge. I expect to see the likes of Pell and Dawson flying out the traps with intensity and aggression. If we can get Doidge off injured by 15 mins and a few heavy ones to leave Grubb quivering then that will set the tempo up nicely. Attack the f*ckers. No mercy. Leave the slow sideways tripe to Cooper. To be honest I don’t care if we pick up injuries and red cards as long as we send Cooper and Vince home having received a battering.
Ralph

Gary getting the boys fired up. Post match today he said next week is like a play off game and he is glad FGR have something to fight for to help give the game edge. I expect to see the likes of Pell and Dawson flying out the traps with intensity and aggression. If we can get Doidge off injured by 15 mins and a few heavy ones to leave Grubb quivering then that will set the tempo up nicely. Attack the f*ckers. No mercy. Leave the slow sideways tripe to Cooper. To be honest I don’t care if we pick up injuries and red cards as long as we send Cooper and Vince home having received a battering.
Absolutely, put em to the sword
drgm
I admit I have been critical of Gary this season but if we win next Saturday it will be the most satisfying
win since we went to Nene Park in 1999 and won the title from another bankrolled club by scoring 2 goals in injury time.

I would willingly run across the pitch at full time and grovel for forgiveness at Gary's feet. It would transform
a mundane season into something memorable.

Some on the FGR forum seem to think that we wont be up for the game.
Well sorry Giraffe and co. That's how much it means to me -and many others I suspect.
No offence like
Johnsons Red Army
Anyone know their ticket allocation for next week?
Robin
They have been given the away end and had sold around 400 advance tickets last I heard.
asl
Robin wrote:They have been given the away end and had sold around 400 advance tickets last I heard.
But that's less than 10% of their usual support? What's going on, OTC??
Chris FGR
asl wrote:
Robin wrote:They have been given the away end and had sold around 400 advance tickets last I heard.
But that's less than 10% of their usual support? What's going on, OTC??
Will probably end up bringing 6-700 I would have thought, even though after yesterday that number might be a few less.

I'll be there, enjoy a derby and you lot seem well up for it this time, whih is nice to see. Both teams are generally pretty inconsistent, although we tend to be more consistent when away (s#!t). You're obviously favourites, will be interesting to see if we can rise to the occassion though, we do actually have some pretty decent players especially going forward so if we play properly it could be a good game.
Robin
I hope there is some atmosphere this time around, the game at the new lawn felt like it was played in a library for the most part with neither set of fans generating much noise.,
longmover
Thing is this game will attract a far few just there for the day (from both sides), most big games with big attendances at WR are pretty dull affairs (apart from the Friday night Grimsby game).
Chris FGR
Robin wrote:I hope there is some atmosphere this time around, the game at the new lawn felt like it was played in a library for the most part with neither set of fans generating much noise.,
It was pretty flat, on and off the pitch. As was the game at WR, to a slightly lesser extent, in the National League I felt.
The game at TNL in the NL though, was better as you were housed in the North Stand and made a lot of noise, which got some of ours going a bit more. The game was more exciting, possibly because of that, as well.

That's why it's good to read people like RCS talking this one up, hopefully you'll actually see this as a big game and be up for it and it wont be another flat occassion, I think it would help both sides if there is a bit of an edge and would make it a better game..

Most likely it will be an underwhelming low scoring game though, either 0-0 or 1-0 to you.
ctfc-fan
Let’s just make sure those questions and answers for the FGR supporters are nice and tough...

No vegetarian options on the catering either, especially in the hospitality boxes....
Lord Elpuz
ctfc-fan wrote:Let’s just make sure those questions and answers for the FGR supporters are nice and tough...

No vegetarian options on the catering either, especially in the hospitality boxes....
After the disgracefully inhospitable way the Cheltenham fans were treated by Stale Mince and his cronies at TNL on 25th November, we should show that superannuated hippie how to treat decent and loyal football fans by putting on a subsidised pig roast before the game at LCI next week.

I am still fuming at the way we were treated at TNL and will never go there again whilst the Mince is still running (down) TNL. Just to recap: one grotty little tent serving bottled beer and cold drinks, no warm drinks as the Burco Boiler had died on a freezing cold day and no back up. Poor standard food from another little tent serving deep fried part frozen onion balls in baps. 4 grotty portalloos for nearly 1000 CTFC fans and no running water in them. Not welcome in their bar to try and get warm. Herded like cattle in and out of the ground through an inadequate gate (dangerous if crowd had to be quickly evacuated or ambulance crew required). And they were just the best bits of the day.

The way they treated Mr Paul Baker, our Chairman, was absolutely disgusting.
King giraffe iii
drgm wrote:I admit I have been critical of Gary this season but if we win next Saturday it will be the most satisfying
win since we went to Nene Park in 1999 and won the title from another bankrolled club by scoring 2 goals in injury time.

I would willingly run across the pitch at full time and grovel for forgiveness at Gary's feet. It would transform
a mundane season into something memorable.

Some on the FGR forum seem to think that we wont be up for the game.
Well sorry Giraffe and co. That's how much it means to me -and many others I suspect.
No offence like
Hang on. I was one of those saying you will certainly be up for the game!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:Let’s just make sure those questions and answers for the FGR supporters are nice and tough...

After the disgracefully inhospitable way the Cheltenham fans were treated by Stale Mince and his cronies at TNL on 25th November, we should show that superannuated hippie how to treat decent and loyal football fans by putting on a subsidised pig roast before the game at LCI next week.

I am still fuming at the way we were treated at TNL and will never go there again whilst the Mince is still running (down) TNL. Just to recap: one grotty little tent serving bottled beer and cold drinks, no warm drinks as the Burco Boiler had died on a freezing cold day and no back up. Poor standard food from another little tent serving deep fried part frozen onion balls in baps. 4 grotty portalloos for nearly 1000 CTFC fans and no running water in them. Not welcome in their bar to try and get warm. Herded like cattle in and out of the ground through an inadequate gate (dangerous if crowd had to be quickly evacuated or ambulance crew required). And they were just the best bits of the day.

Scenes not welcome in the Football League. This why a vociferous CTFC welcome party should be encouraged for Cooper and his team bus to let them know they are not welcome. Hog Roast from 11:30 in the car park, beer from the Nest allowed to be drunk outside from 11:00. Cheap red and white flags, t-shirts and scarves. Let the car park be full of well fed and we’ll drunk red and white. If it means it takes the FGR bus 20 mins to get through the car park, or even if it blocks the bus forcing them to walk through the crowds then so be it.
London Exile
If the club or the Trust was to put on a hog roast, that would be amazing. Lovely pork and stuffing bap and a beer would go down a treat
Chris FGR
Sounds brilliant, I love a good hog roast. Hopefully us FGR fans will be allowed to get stuck in too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Sounds brilliant, I love a good hog roast. Hopefully us FGR fans will be allowed to get stuck in too.
Yup. We are a decent Gloucestershire Football League side. No discrimination against, or mistreatment of, away fans by Cheltenham Town.
King giraffe iii
Chris FGR wrote:Sounds brilliant, I love a good hog roast. Hopefully us FGR fans will be allowed to get stuck in too.
Yup. We are a decent Gloucestershire Football League side. No discrimination against, or mistreatment of, away fans by Cheltenham Town.
Shame I can't make Saturday as it would be good to say hello to a few names in person.
Ralph
Ben2 wrote:So - now Vince and cooper have agreed that staying up is NOT a priority - can’t they just give us the three points?

Eco-franchise go up or down - makes do difference to them! Cooper and Vince are a match made in heaven
proves how little they care about the club. It's just a marketing vehicle for Ecotricity. They go down after one year in the league - way more publicity in the press than if they stayed up
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:So - now Vince and cooper have agreed that staying up is NOT a priority - can’t they just give us the three points?

Eco-franchise go up or down - makes do difference to them! Cooper and Vince are a match made in heaven
Is there a link to them stating this - nothing on the (heavily censored club controlled) FGR fans / sycophants forum.
The Old TomCat
Lord Elpuz wrote:

Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. Next season away supporters will see an improvement in hospitality from what everybody at TNL considers is currently unsatisfactory.
2. The weather this winter has been bad and to have the Burco Boiler break down in unfortunate. You answer your own complaint by saying the lack of warm drinks was down to breakdown.
3. Food at TNL is almost certainly better than most at any club in the country. FGR have won quite a few awards for what it serves to supporters.
4. The marquee (not tent) is on par to many indoor supporter’s bars in many clubs in country.
5. On Saturday all supporters from both teams will enter WR stadium via a small turnstile. No different from TNL. And in the case of an emergency at TNL there is a huge double gate for fans to evacuate the ground. It is used at end of game.
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out.
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect.

BTW cftc-fan, most FGR fans happily eat non vegan food and every club offers a varied diet in their boardroom. So it would not unduly worry those FGR reps in the Cheltenham boardroom if only a meat dinner was on offer.
The Old TomCat
Johnson Red Army wrote post on another thread on the EFL Trophy match Cheltenham v FGR at WR and I've waited until appropriate time to reply, which is now.

"I know, I was there.
That was the mickey mouse cup game where we fielded a weakened team against FGR's first team. Had it not been for those 1-2 minutes of Flatt errors late in the second half, I'm sure the game would've ended 1-0 to the Robins. To Flatt's credit though, I do remember him making some really good saves in the first half so I guess it all balances out."

MYTH

Truth: Cheltenham fans considered game to be mickey mouse which resulted in lowest attended game of season at Whadon Road with 1756 fans.
However Gary Johnson was very bullish in his pre-game interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojjr2Hr0GZM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In Cheltenham programme Gary Johnson wrote: “We want to win every game we play in and this evening we will make some changes but still put out a side that we feel can perform, get a result ........”

Both teams had mixture of first teamers and others. In fact the winning FGR goal was scored by 17-year-old Jordan Stevens.

Checking Cheltenham’s website one discovers that Johnson sent out a very strong team of experienced players:
Cheltenham’s line up for game including players personal match stats at time:
Flatt [4 games, 360 mins],
Cranson [10 games, 855 mins],
Storer [10 games, 871 mins],
Atangana [5 games, 407 mins],
Wright [11 games, 520 mins],
Boyle [6 games, 459 mins],
Sellars [7 games, 290 mins],
Bower [1 game, 5 mins],
Hinds [6 games, 109 mins],
Moore [7 games, 630 mins],
Davey [Debut game but professional since 2012 and has represented Scotland U19s]

Subs:
Grimes [9 games, 797 mins],
Winchester [11 games, 959 mins],
Eisa [11 games, 847 mins]

And of the seven FGR who played in game:
Drissa Traore & Omar Bugiel both play in Conference (Tranmere & Bromley)
Mark Roberts, Luke James & Sam Russell are no longer included in First Team
Jordan Stevens sold to Leeds but has made no appearances since transfer in January.
Jack Fitzwater, currently on loan by WBA at Walsall, is therefore only player to be playing in Football League.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:

Dear snowflake,
1. The Cheltenham fans were treated no differently than any other sets of fans other teams who have played at TNL. It is similar to what Cheltenham offered when they were first promoted 20 years ago. Next season away supporters will see an improvement in hospitality from what everybody at TNL considers is currently unsatisfactory.
2. The weather this winter has been bad and to have the Burco Boiler break down in unfortunate. You answer your own complaint by saying the lack of warm drinks was down to breakdown.
3. Food at TNL is almost certainly better than most at any club in the country. FGR have won quite a few awards for what it serves to supporters.
4. The marquee (not tent) is on par to many indoor supporter’s bars in many clubs in country.
5. On Saturday all supporters from both teams will enter WR stadium via a small turnstile. No different from TNL. And in the case of an emergency at TNL there is a huge double gate for fans to evacuate the ground. It is used at end of game.
6. I read that you will not attend next ElGlosico game at TNL. Earlier this season I read on this site that plenty of Cheltenham supporters were saying same, but they did all turn up. I expect it will be same with you and even if you stand firm, and listen to match on radio, the game will still be a sell-out.
7. In Paul Baker’s own words he received a warm reception at TNL. He praised the car park attendant, reception staff, board room staff and club doctor. Therefore to claim he was treated ‘absolutely disgusting’ is incorrect.

BTW cftc-fan, most FGR fans happily eat non vegan food and every club offers a varied diet in their boardroom. So it would not unduly worry those FGR reps in the Cheltenham boardroom if only a meat dinner was on offer.
Pitiful. Truly pitiful.
Robin
OTC lives on his own planet it seems, how are ticket sales going Tom Cat have you surpassed the 500 mark yet for your cup final?