Seroius questions over GJ now......

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Whilst I would want investment I don't agree with the statement that we need investment to succeed especially when you see clubs like Accrington and Wycombe challenging with a smaller budge.t
Lord Elpuz
The big test for Accrington and possibly Wycombe, will be how they fare next season. Don’t forget CTFC have reached the heights of promotion to League 1 on two occasions, but without investment it was not sustainable on either occasion and we eventually got relegated. Neither of those promotions were covered in glory apart from the double over Leeds. Accrington might have a similar experience, but I wish them well.
I-Love-CTFC
Maybe the club should investigate GJ's 'altercation' with a fan after yesterday's game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Maybe the club should investigate GJ's 'altercation' with a fan after yesterday's game.
Just hand bags. If a fan gives it out then fair play to any player or manager who gives it back. If the fan can’t take it then don’t dish it out. Simple.
Del Boy
Oldun wrote:Ben is one of the few on here that talk football sense without blind bias! Don't know who he is but he obviously knows his football and can reason from a sound football base without resorting to ridiculous exaggeration and nonsense as in the post I referred to earlier about losing faith. Also he is not a toys out the pram man when things go awry. Seems like a true supporter. Probably has his season ticket sorted already
(Brilliant sense of humour too!)
Swipe right.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oldun wrote:Ben is one of the few on here that talk football sense without blind bias! Don't know who he is but he obviously knows his football and can reason from a sound football base without resorting to ridiculous exaggeration and nonsense as in the post I referred to earlier about losing faith. Also he is not a toys out the pram man when things go awry. Seems like a true supporter. Probably has his season ticket sorted already
Ben knows his football - he stated earlier in the week Wright should start up with Mo and was critical of the line up and delay to substitution.

If I didn’t have to fork out £100 and ten hours traveling a game maybe I would renew, but that on top of £375 when I only make half the games is not justifiable when the overriding emotion in most games “wish I didn’t bother and what about all those more useful and more enjoyable things I could have done instead.” If that makes me unloyal and not a true fan I hold my hands up.

It will be a wrench; I have had my seat since the first day In2P went on sale and it will be weird to go to a game and not sit there. I renewed after three relegations so hardly throwing toys out of the pram is it.
Oldun
Hardly supportive either!
Ihearye
Del Boy wrote:
Swipe right.
LOL
Ihearye
Oldun wrote:Hardly supportive either!
Do you actually ever sit down and read what you write? Who in God's name are you to judge what is a good supporter or not? Why should someone be judged for not renewing a season ticket when as explained he only makes a limited amout of games. Does that fact make him a better supporter than you, becuase he still pays for games he knows he won't be able to see. Lets not forget RCS and other absentee ST holders are counted in the weekly attendance figures, Would be interesting to know how many do actually put their @ss on a seat. I have a ST but as already posted, this is the first full season I have not prioritised the football on a Saturday.

I pay dental insurance too, but don't go there every week either - for the same reason, it is no longer enjoyable. When the Management produce a team that at least competes, I will then prioritise. I dont expect success, I would like it. But playing a lone (small) striker at home in a derby. cup final, give something to the fans etc etc is just not on. Inexplicable. The fact it 'worked' against Morcambe is a tenious piece of evidence
horlickfanclub
Two deflections helped against Morecambe . I would prefer to enjoy supporting my club than finding it a depressing experience. Watching the same tactics next season has no interest for me.
I would like to see the evidence that Oldun has on his knowledge that those for change are a "minority".
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote:Two deflections helped against Morecambe . I would prefer to enjoy supporting my club than finding it a depressing experience. Watching the same tactics next season has no interest for me.
I would like to see the evidence that Oldun has on his knowledge that those for change are a "minority".
Evidence is there for all to see. If you disagree with him QED you are a minority
horlickfanclub
Thanks Ihear. It is all clear now.
After rewatching the post match interview I am concerned that the Manager has not taken any responsibilty for the performance. Some players were off their game but his initial selection then inflexibilty of mind for too long massively contributed to the negativity of the day. A few weeks ago he was shaking things up at half time or around the hour mark and there was a response. He is now hesitant, can't remember who shot when ,needed prompting on his formation. He looks tired . I hope the Chairman spends some time at Seasons this week to help him get some balance and energy and maybe as the week goes on some reassessment of attitudes may occur. I would love to see a strong cohesive performance at Cambridge and next home game so Gary Johnson can retire on a high.
Johnsons Red Army
horlickfanclub wrote:I would love to see a strong cohesive performance at Cambridge and next home game so Gary Johnson can retire on a high.
20:05
PB: The manager will be here next year and we are offering new contracts to several players, so we will have that continuity.

20:21
PB: We have NO intention of changing our manager and Gary will be our manager next season. He’s one of the best managers in our league without question.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ve-1316389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless something has changed in the last month, he won't be retiring after the Coventry match.
horlickfanclub
A month is a long time in football and politics.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:So - as expected. We lose and a load of posters whove been itching to get on here break their ban and start posting again. They went quiet whilst we had a good run!

Just to be clear of the facts and then we put this to bed:

1) Ralph, board admin, confirms that this board is much more active after a loss than a win
2) I asked a direct question about which posters go to games regularly. It was a total of about five
3) Only one person on here ever offers to back their view up in the real world - me. Its not a threat, its a polite offer to meet anyone who disagrees. Im available by PM but nobody takes menup on it!!!!

Only solution i have is that the moaning minority who dont go to games shout abuse when we lose but wont back that in person

Sack Johnson???? Utterly ridiuclous. Back to pre-school
1. The easy and obvious answer to point a is that on the whole a lot more people see them losing than see them winning. Hence the up in comments when there is a loss. Even the win over Morcambe was uninspring. Not rocket science.

2. You actually think everybody respoinded to your 'poll'. I certainly didn't. What you are actiually saying is that of those that responded 5 go regularly.

3. Are you some kind of relationship expert. Why on earth would anyone want to 'talk through' their issues with you ???? Your opinion is no worse or no better than anyone else. You really dont live in the real world, or else you don't get out enough.

Still waiting for an answer re your announcement that the only manager we could get is a failed L2 manager or taking a punt on a non league manager. As I asked, which one of those two groupings did GJ belong to ??

People are asking for the situation to be reviewed nobody is saying sack now. People like yourself are so blinkered that you can't even see that your so called improvement as been minimal. I do continue to support the team like I have done for the last 30+ years. However, what they give me back has declined considerably. So I don't need any advice on how or how not to support.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:So - as expected. We lose and a load of posters whove been itching to get on here break their ban and start posting again. They went quiet whilst we had a good run!

1) Ralph, board admin, confirms that this board is much more active after a loss than a win
2) I asked a direct question about which posters go to games regularly. It was a total of about five
3) Only one person on here ever offers to back their view up in the real world - me. Its not a threat, its a polite offer to meet anyone who disagrees. Im available by PM but nobody takes menup on it!!!!

Only solution i have is that the moaning minority who dont go to games shout abuse when we lose but wont back that in person

BTW - when was the good 'run'? Please define a good run
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:

I would say October to December was decent - we closed to six points of play offs and our points per game ratio, excluding the first seven games of the season, was 65 points trajectory. This gave the hope going into Christmas and New Year that winning the three home games vs Newport, Yeovil and Barnet would spur us on. Unfortunately as we know those games were failures, with Barnet and Yeovil being especially woeful. We have bumbled along ever since. The Yeovil game was really damaging - I have friends who drew the line at that one and haven’t / won’t gone to a game since.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I tell you what - let me try another version of the same game

I’ll pretend Mo Eisa is worth £1 million. I know he isn’t - everyone who knows literally ANYTHING about football knows this to be utter tosh. But I’ll pretend it to be true and will argue with anyone who says otherwise. When asked for any precedent or similar player to back it up I’ll withdraw, until a few weeks later I pretend he’s now worth more.

What possible purpose could this little game serve? So when Eisa is sold for an undisclosed fee of the realistic £2-400k I can then get to the point of my pretending-game - I can have a go at baker and Johnson who know not-nearly-as-much as me about football and business and running a football club.

From the outside that may seem a little bit odd, perhaps even unhinged. Perhaps if I did that I should just have a little think about my life
Plenty of examples have been given. Gary himself has already said we don’t want to sell Eisa and no club in L1 can afford him. You really think people are only getting excited about Eisa to be able to criticise the club in the future? You sad freak.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

I guess it helps that if when people do PM you they get a reply.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I’ll pretend Mo Eisa is worth £1 million. I know he isn’t - everyone who knows literally ANYTHING about football knows this to be utter tosh. But I’ll pretend it to be true and will argue with anyone who says otherwise. When asked for any precedent or similar player to back it up I’ll withdraw, until a few weeks later I pretend he’s now worth more.

What possible purpose could this little game serve? So when Eisa is sold for an undisclosed fee of the realistic £2-400k I can then get to the point of my pretending-game - I can have a go at baker and Johnson who know not-nearly-as-much as me about football and business and running a football club.

From the outside that may seem a little bit odd, perhaps even unhinged. Perhaps if I did that I should just have a little think about my life
Plenty of examples have been given. Gary himself has already said we don’t want to sell Eisa and no club in L1 can afford him. You really think people are only getting excited about Eisa to be able to criticise the club in the future? You sad freak.
Don’t be ridiculous RCS. People are not getting excited they are posting shite bordering on the insane on a fans message board for that purpose
Well personally I am excited we have Eisa and that if we are to sell it will only be for an offer we genuinely can’t refuse.
drgm

What are you wittering on about?

I am no longer going to get so affected by results because after 20 years of hardly missing a home game I am
no longer going to ensure my diary is clear every other Saturday. I will pick and choose my games from now on.
This is my way of not letting myself get affected by results. If the club shows some ambition then I may change
my mind.

Last Saturday was not acceptable. FGR were poor at the back and lacked confidence early on. Playing one
up front at home against a team in such poor form showed a lack of belief in the players, a lack of confidence and
worst of all a lack of desire to win the game. This happened in both of our FA cup games in the last two seasons.
It seems that when it comes to really wanting to win a match we seem to fall short

It was built up as Gloucestershire's Cup Final but Gary contrived to hand the initiative to the opposition. A win
would have added some gloss to a poor season. Everyone in the Skips Stand seemed up for it but sadly it was
yet another occasion where everything fell flat

Fair play if you're happy to muddle along for another season. I am not.
everyman
drgm wrote:

What are you wittering on about?

I am no longer going to get so affected by results because after 20 years of hardly missing a home game I am
no longer going to ensure my diary is clear every other Saturday. I will pick and choose my games from now on.
This is my way of not letting myself get affected by results. If the club shows some ambition then I may change
my mind.

Last Saturday was not acceptable. FGR were poor at the back and lacked confidence early on. Playing one
up front at home against a team in such poor form showed a lack of belief in the players, a lack of confidence and
worst of all a lack of desire to win the game. This happened in both of our FA cup games in the last two seasons.
It seems that when it comes to really wanting to win a match we seem to fall short

It was built up as Gloucestershire's Cup Final but Gary contrived to hand the initiative to the opposition. A win
would have added some gloss to a poor season. Everyone in the Skips Stand seemed up for it but sadly it was
yet another occasion where everything fell flat

Fair play if you're happy to muddle along for another season. I am not.
The best way to react to the " cyclops " posters on this site is to ignore them and their flat-earth views !
Ihearye
Ihearye wrote:

I would say October to December was decent - we closed to six points of play offs and our points per game ratio, excluding the first seven games of the season, was 65 points trajectory. This gave the hope going into Christmas and New Year that winning the three home games vs Newport, Yeovil and Barnet would spur us on. Unfortunately as we know those games were failures, with Barnet and Yeovil being especially woeful. We have bumbled along ever since. The Yeovil game was really damaging - I have friends who drew the line at that one and haven’t / won’t gone to a game since.
At least you answer the question :) I guess we all have our own definitions of what is a 'good run'. I look at it as putting together a string of winning games (not 2 :) ). However in the period you mention we did win one more than we lost. So if definitely was a purple patch, if not a run. What kind of worries me about the Ben2 view on life is that we are meant to come on and wax lyrical after what is all to often a scrappy win (well tbh at home wins have not been that often). It is so hard to get enthused about a win, if it has been a 90 minute struggle of ineffectual football, that you have to endure. Irrespective of the victory. For myself the large majority of home victories have left me going home thinking "at least its 3 points".
Ihearye

H, like anything else in this world, is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for him. So I truely fail to see the point you are making. Valuations on this forum have varied a lot. As you would expect. After all your realistic amount leaves quite a large margin for "I told you so".
Still waiting to hear if GJ falls into your Failed L2 or punt on non league, categories. You do say that is the only sort of manager we can attract.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:

Don’t be ridiculous RCS. People are not getting excited they are posting shite bordering on the insane on a fans message board for that purpose

Well if you say it, it must be true